Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Bought new HD TV to replace our old SD TV that currently has an old DT SD receiver. Need advice.

Tutor

Bought new HD TV to replace our old SD TV that currently has an old DT SD receiver. Need advice.

Bought new HD TV to replace old TV which had an old SD DT receiver. We do have (only) an HD DT Receiver for our other HD TV in another room.

1. What are the options to get HD TV from DirecTV to our new TV, as well?

2. It looks like from the website there is some sort of extra $3 charge to to have all the TV’s added to be HD capable from one receiver - but no real explanation as to how this is done. Is it done wirelessly via internet? Our internet is not reliable, therefore that would not be an option, but if through via satellite, this would be excellent. How is this done?

3. Will we have to upgrade and get an HDDVR/TIVO/ or Genie receiver for our new TV, or can we just get a cheaper HD receiver to replace this SD receiver for our new TV?

4. What will we “have” to do with the old (like 8-10 year old) SD receiver? Will we have to ship it somewhere? It has been paid for... like years ago.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: Bought new HD TV to replace our old SD TV that currently has an old DT SD receiver. Need advice.

SD only boxes (MPEG-2) are not returnable. DirecTV is shutting down the last of the old MPEG-2 feeds in April 2019 so are offering swaps for affected customers.

The charge you mention is not HD service itself. The receiver services are $10 HD, $10 DVR, $3 Whole Home DVR. The small charge allows the recordings on an HDDVR to be viewed by all other HDDVRs, or HD non-DVRs in your home.

What are the models of each box you have now? This will help determine what changes you are looking at.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Re: Bought new HD TV to replace our old SD TV that currently has an old DT SD receiver. Need advice.

Thanks for your reply.

Our SD Receivers are Model Numbers D12-300 and our HD Receiver is H23-600.

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

The H23 is not a DVR so you can't use Whole Home that is a separate system that uses the coax to stream programs recorded on DVRs to be played on any other DVR so there is no need for the internet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
Tutor

Thank you. Do you know how I can find out if our SD receiver will be eligible for replacement since it will be obsolete in April?

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jhglover
‎11-25-2018 9:11 PM

If those are your only 2 boxes then you have a couple options.

Complimentary MPEG swap the D12 as it will not be usable in a few months. DirecTV would expect to provide an H25. No change in monthly bill as you already have HD service.

Upgrade which would replace both boxes with a Genie (HR44 or HR54) and Mini Genie Client. 5 tuner HDDVR, with 1TB of recording space, that both TVs share. Would add the $10 DVR and $3 Whole Home DVR service and 24 month service agreement. Alternatively you could keep the H23 instead of replacing with a Client and would have its own tuner, independent processing, and Autotune feature. And the H23 could still watch what is on the Genie, just not record itself of course.

Do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17) as it is a headache with built in restrictions. Whether you do the complimentary swap or upgrade, review the order confirmation before having the new equipment put it to make sure all is as expected.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Call/chat with DTV.

Message 7 of 12
Tutor

Thank you both! Lots of great information that I needed prior to the call to take care of this. Appreciate your time.

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Professor

Of you decide to do the swap please make sure it's setup as a "swap" and NOT  an upgrade  there's a big difference. Check the email confirmation before install make sure it indicates a swap.

Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Oh yes... most definitely... these two year contracts that keep restarting when we call to inquire about price increases (which results in our agreeing to a few $$ discount/month) is getting old. Lesson learned the hard way. We’ve been with DTV for 18+ years, if they want to keep our business, they’ll do a complimentary swap to a receiver that will work after they’ve phased out the MPEG2 feeds. We’ll just switch to Dish if they won’t do a complimentary swap without changing our contract.

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

For follow up (in case anyone else encounters this same issue): I just completed chat with DTV CSR and complimentary HD25 “swap” is being sent to replace old SD D-12 receiver with no change to our current contract. Very pleasant experience. Thank you all for your help.

Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

Glad you got the swap. Only do an actual upgrade if you are ready to. Just double check the order confirmation to verify it was placed as a MPEG swap (no new agreement) or upgrade (with 24 month agreement).

Contracts do not just simply keep restarting for no reason. Upgrades of equipment (adding a TV counts) come with a 24 month agreement. A 24 month discount usually would come with an agreement. A 12 month discount might come with an agreement depending on how big it is. Agents applying these specials and not discuss the agreement with you are in the wrong.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support