Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Best setup for 8 TV's

Highlighted
Teacher

Best setup for 8 TV's

Will be moving to Delaware in April.   The only options are Directv and Comcast.  Would love  to have the NFL Package but the hardware talk  is more than a little concerning.   We currently have Verizon Fios, but that's not an option in the new house.    I've chatted a couple of times with Directv and they always tell me we would need the Genie 2 for 8 TV's.  Is there any hope for a software fix in the next couple of months or is that just a failed design?  Alternatively, is there any other hardware setup that could work for us?  Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure out if Directv is a viable option for us.   

Message 1 of 23
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by sbsmms
‎01-06-2019 11:37 AM

Re: Best setup for 8 TV's

You absolute do NOT need to have an HS17 Genie2 Server to support 8 TVs.  But that's the configuration that DirecTV likes to promote.  I'm not holding out much hope that the HS17 issues will ever be fully addressed, so can't recommend it. 

Instead, you should get an HR54 Genie DVR with a couple more HR24 HD DVRs and some H25 HD Receivers.  That would give you the most viewing and recording flexibility.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 23
ACE - Expert

Oh, and if you want 4K channels, you'll need a C61K 4K Mini Genie Client for your 4K TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 23
Teacher

Thank you litzdog911.   Much appreciated.  

If I understand the setup correctly I would get the HR54 Genie and 3 genie mini clients which would cover 4 rooms.  Then if I add 2 HR24 HD DVR’s and 2 H25 HD receivers I can have it set up so the H25 receivers can each access the DVR content from one of the HR24 DVR’s.  That would give us a total of 8 Tv’s each with access to one of 3 DVR’s.   Is that correct?

Finally, will Directv provide the receivers for this setup (given their preference for the Genie 2) or will I have to purchase the equipment myself?

Message 4 of 23
ACE - Expert

@sbsmms wrote:

Thank you litzdog911.   Much appreciated.  

If I understand the setup correctly I would get the HR54 Genie and 3 genie mini clients which would cover 4 rooms.  Then if I add 2 HR24 HD DVR’s and 2 H25 HD receivers I can have it set up so the H25 receivers can each access the DVR content from one of the HR24 DVR’s.  That would give us a total of 8 Tv’s each with access to one of 3 DVR’s.   Is that correct?

Finally, will Directv provide the receivers for this setup (given their preference for the Genie 2) or will I have to purchase the equipment myself?

Personally I would avoid using any Mini Genies and use H25s on those TVs.  More flexible solution at same cost. 

Hopefully you can get DirecTV to provide those models with installation.  You can also try using a third party reseller, such as Solid Signal. They can also set up installation for you.

Message 5 of 23
Teacher

Is there any difference in the equipment I would get from Directv  vs Solid Signal?  

When you say that Solid Signal could set up installation does that mean they would coordinate with Directv installers or use their own installers?

Are the Directv installers generally competent?  Our situation will be a little complicated (I think?) because we are planning to use Comcast for internet and Directv for TV.  

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  I'm a little out of my element as far as getting all of this setup.

Your input is very much appreciated. 

Message 6 of 23
ACE - Expert

@sbsmms wrote:

1. Is there any difference in the equipment I would get from Directv  vs Solid Signal?  

2. When you say that Solid Signal could set up installation does that mean they would coordinate with Directv installers or use their own installers?

3. Are the Directv installers generally competent? 

4. Our situation will be a little complicated (I think?) because we are planning to use Comcast for internet and Directv for TV.  

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  I'm a little out of my element as far as getting all of this setup.

Your input is very much appreciated. 

1. No. Solid Signal is a reputable authorized DirecTV dealer.  But DirecTV has become reluctant lately to install "older" equipment.  

2. I think they have their own installers.  Check their web site.

3. Yes, DirecTV installers are generally competent.  But they've had lots of "equipment shortage" issues lately and many folks have expressed frustration here over missed appointments and lack of communication.

4. It doesn't matter who your internet provider is.  Just be sure that you have your internet set up before your DirecTV installation.

Message 7 of 23
Teacher

Thanks again for all your help.

Message 8 of 23
ACE - Expert

@sbsmms wrote:

Thanks again for all your help.

You're very welcome.  Post back and let us know how it goes.

Message 9 of 23
Teacher

A few follow up questions based on my conversation with Directv.

I was told the only option for 8 TV's is the Genie 2 and 7 mini genies.  This is a non starter for me - under no circumstance am I getting the Genie 2.

I get the feeling if I get the right person on the phone I might be able to get the HR54 Genie.  It seems unlikely they will give me the H25 HD receivers, so I would have to go with mini genies.

Do the mini genies work reliably with the HR54?   I would be going with all wired.

I could possibly split the difference and go with the HR54 and maybe 3 mini genies (if the reliability is solid), and then just purchase 1 or 2 HR 24 DVR's and a couple of H25 HD receivers.    That would cost me about $400-600, which is pretty aggravating, but still better than the ridiculous $1200 if I have to purchase all of the equipment.

It's somewhat remarkable how difficult Directv is making it even for a new customer who plans to have their top programming option running on 8 different TV's, with a hefty monthly bill.   You'd think they would be trying to help bring me aboard...

Unfortunately, my only two options are Directv and Comcast.   After doing extensive online research for both I have no illusions of a perfect solution, I'm just trying to determine which will be more reliable. 

Sorry for the long post.  I'm genuinely torn about what the best option is.  

Message 10 of 23
Employee

That's roughly the setup I have at home. 1 hr54, 3 c61w clients, 1 hr24, and one h24. If I'm remembering correctly from previous calls directv will offer the genie and 3 clients and charge for the other receivers  $99/h25 and $199/hr24. If you got an agent that insisted on the Genie 2 I would call back to speak to someone else. They certainly have the ability to set you up with a work order that has a mixture of receivers. While it might be possible to have 1 genie and a mixture of 7 hd/hddvr boxes on a new account I would recommend going with the genie and 3 clients plus 2 HD and 2 hddvr boxes. Initial cost is one reason, another is that techs (at least in the area I service) usually only have 2 hd boxes and 2 hddvr boxes on their van at any given time. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 23
ACE - Master

remember when you have 3 minis running, that only leaves 2 tuners on the genie to record, 1 if the genie is running

check your phone book for independent installers. or as was said call solid signal

honeslty for that many tvs i wont know if i would go to directv

i would have to look hard at dish, the h3 would be a better fit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 12 of 23
Teacher

That's a great point .    So I assume with that setup we could only record one program at a time?

The DIsh hardware setup definitely seems to meet our needs better.  Unfortunately, we are big football fans and the NFL package makes Directv our first choice - that is if we can make it work without spending a fortune on equipment.

Thanks for your input 

What a pain...

Message 13 of 23
ACE - Master

if you got the hr24's each would also be able to record 1 thing while in use

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 14 of 23
Teacher

If they would give me the equipment I wanted I would probably go with one HR54, two HR24's, maybe one  C61 for 4K, and the rest H25's.  That would give us 3 separate DVR's, and free up some tuners on the HR54 as well.    

Unfortunately to get that equipment setup it seems like I would have to purchase all of the HR24's and H25's myself.  According to my calculations that would be around $800.  And for that privilege I would still get to pay Directv a monthly fee on that equipment. 

It's quite an operation they have going on there...

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support