Helpful Links

Automatic signup for Protection Plan when upgrading?

Teacher

Automatic signup for Protection Plan when upgrading?

What's up with that?  It smacks of underhanded, sneaky tactics, if not outright illegal.  I upgraded my box from and plain HD box to an HD DVR.  It was installed Saturday.  During the entire process, from ordering the equipment on the phone to the time the technician left Saturday morning, not one word was ever mentioned about the Protection Plan.  Yet this morning I received an email "congratulating" me on enrolling.

I realize I can just call up and cancel it, and you can bet I will, complete with a piece of my mind, but that isn't really the point.  How can they brag about such great customer service when they resort to such tactics as this?  I guess my question is *WHY* do they feel it necessary to do things like this? 

Message 1 of 6
Expert

Re: Automatic signup for Protection Plan when upgrading?

I would guess that enrolling you was an error on someone's part.  In my several years of dealing with Directv I've never been billed for anything I didn't order.  Prior to this have you had problems?

Message 2 of 6
Teacher

When I first got DirecTV last July, I was automatically signed up for the Protection Plan.  At the time I just figured it was because I was a brand new customer.  At least at that time, they told me about it and also told me that I was under no obligation and could cancel within the first 30 days (which I did).  This time, not a single word, and that is what has me upset.  What if the email had gone straight to the SPAM folder and I never saw it?  I'd be stuck paying $8 a month for something I don't want.

Message 3 of 6
Employee

The protection plan has some really nice pers. As free upgrades every two years, 
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6
Teacher

peds48 wrote:

The protection plan has some really nice pers. As free upgrades every two years,

That's all fine and good.  And it wouldn't be a problem *IF* they hadn't tried to be so deceptive (in my opinion) by adding it without my authorization. 

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

We've had the protection plan for years and it has been worth the money, BUT, when the tech came out to correct a problem caused by the previous tech we were "upgraded" to a $20/month protection plan (for the 1st 6 months) without being told.  My husband said the guy asked him to sign saying the problem was fixed and that it was for "our protection plan".  Frankly, between being billed for cancelled services, the customer service people who can't actually do anything to correct problems, and the ever increasing bill that can't be explained, I'm ready to drop AT&T after 30+ years.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support