Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

Teacher

Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

Sure could use some help here...

I am getting an occasional crackling sound (kind of sounds like the tweeters are blown on my speakers) coming from my center, left, and right channel speakers.  Lately (after the HD UI update) it has become more noticeable. 

This typically occurs when I am watching movies or programs in HD right when the action picks up.  Its even more noticeable when there is a scene with a lot of bass, like an explosion or crashing sound.  It almost makes me think that the DirecTV receiver is trying to convince my speakers that they should be playing bass frequencies through the tweeters. 

I have two home theater setups in my house.  One with a plasma TV and a high end Marantz receiver with new Polk speakers and the other in my basement with a projector, B&W speakers and another high end Marantz receiver.  Upstairs has a HR23-700 receiver, and downstairs I have a HR22-100 receiver.

This problem occurs on both setups.  I have even recorded shows where I have noticed the sound to see if it is there during play back.  This method makes it easy to reproduce the crackling by replaying the same section of video in either room with both setups.  My only common factor, other than DirecTV, is the Marantz receivers so I bypassed my upstairs receiver and played the sound through my TV speakers and again the crackling was there at the exact same spot it was when I heard it originally.

I have also done a lot of testing on both setups using a dedicated BluRay player and a PS3.  Both of those provide crystal clear audio without any distortion, crackling, or pooping.

Going even one step further I am also able to reproduce this when I play back the video I recorded using the DirecTV2PC feature.  I attached a audio clip from my PC playing this back so you can hear what the crackling sounds like.

Since I am hearing this on two different receivers, and on my PC via DirecTV2PC I have to assume that my recorders are recording the audio this way so it is either a box issue, software issue, or I guess it could be my signal coming in but it seems odd that it would only manifest during HD programming.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  I have a lot of money invested in my home theaters but with the quality of the service being provided by DirecTV and there receivers I might have been better off with the $99 Theater In A Box special of the week Frown

Message 1 of 58
Teacher

Re: Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

Sorry for the long delay in posting my signal readings.  Based on the initial responses it did not sound like DirecTV was going to fess up to this issue.  But, now that I see that I'm not alone and there are over 1,000 reads for my post I thought I would attempt to follow up again and see if we can make any progress since the problem still exists and I have yet to see anyone post a fix.  Aside of course to switching back to cable.

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    98 97 0 97 100 97 100

9-16   96 98 98 0 97 100 96 100

17-24  95 100 96 0 97 100 97 100

25-32  95 100 95 96 100 95 100

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º) - Not Applicable

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º) - Not Applicable

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    94 0 91 59 96 97 NA NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  53 83

17-24  95 96 83 85 99 100 57 33

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8   91 95 88 95 89 93 88 94

9-16  89 94 88 92 93 95   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    76 0 0 0 0 0   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  0 100

17-24  0 95 97 100 84 83 0 0

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   93 95 91 95 92 95 90 95   NA  NA

17-24  89 95 93 95 88 93 94 96

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

1-8    95 96 92 94 92 95 92 94

9-16   91 94 92 95 90 93  NA  NA

Message 31 of 58
ACE - Expert

What about the signal readings from the 103º(ca) satellite?

And check the readings on both DVR tuners. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 58
Contributor

Just switched from Dish to DirecTV, and have had the same issue with BOTH services. Crackling occurs during action scenes and explosions and is noticeable mainly on HBO and other pay channels. Seems like we are all having the same issue, and there's no need for a new thread. Hope someone finds a solution and notifies me
Message 33 of 58
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue and I called DirecTV customer service and their technicians are aware of the issue and are currently working on an update. She wasn't sure when they are expecting the update, but to push the reset button on the box every week so it can check for any updates.

Message 34 of 58
Professor

bhilmer

Press the info button on the remote and hold it down for 3 or 4 seconds and the system info will come to the screen with the date and version of software on your machine  any time you wish to see if you got an update.

Message 35 of 58
ACE - Expert

While not a widespread issue, the folks reporting this problem seem to have it with channels that now utilize HDCP copy protection.  It's possible that some HDTVs and AV Surround Receivers have audio issues with the HDCP data via HDMI.   Using a digital coax or digital audio (Toslink) connection instead of HDMI might help.  

See for example this article which mentions the "crackling and popping audio" problems with HDCP on HDMI connections ....

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_handshake_troubleshooting_guidelines.php

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 58
Teacher

I am using ditital coax right now and it too has crackling and popping. As does digital audio and HDMI.

So at least for me, the cable matters not.

Message 37 of 58
Tutor

Same here. I have tried all connection types, I get the crackle with all. I am currently using toslink. The issue is the same with all cable types.
Message 38 of 58

Add me to the list, i have run it both toslink, coax, and hdmi....does not change if there is crackling or not.  In all fairness, I did not try running it through analog cables.

Message 39 of 58
Teacher

I highly doubt that this problem has anything to do with the cables.  I have used HDMI, Coax, RCA, and Toslink.  They all exhibit the same issue.  

As for the HDCP issue.  I guess there could be a relationship here, but if it is that has nothing to do with my equipment and it still leads back to the DirecTV boxes.  

The reason why I doubt the cable or HDCP as the culprit is because I also have this problem when I access my recordings via DirecTV2PC on my computer.  

The source of this problem has to be either corrupt data being transmitted/received, or a breakdown somewhere before getting to any of the boxes (HD or HDDVR) outputs.  

In other words, here is where the problem will be found:

Digital Program Itself to DirecTV(send) to Satellites(receive/send) to Dish(receive) to SWM to Receiver to Hard Drive

here is where it will not be found, so we need to stop looking here:

• Receiver/Hard Drive to TV (or AV Receiver), via HDMI, Coax, Analog, etc.
  • Home electrical wiring 
  • Television or AV Receiver

Message 40 of 58
ACE - Expert

bazinga:

Exactly which channels have this issue?

Message 41 of 58
Teacher

I cant think of a channel where I have not noticed it.  But, it does seem to be more prevalent when I'm watching movie channels.  Of course that may be because I typically watch movies at a higher volume.  I also specifically remember it occurring often while watching the Olympics.

It looks like bhilmer above received confirmation from DirecTV support that this is a known issue that should be fixed in a software update.  I'm not sure if this is true, or if the Tech was just trying to close out the call, but hopefully someone is truly working on this.  Cable is looking better and better every day...

Message 42 of 58
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by bazinga 

.....  I'm not sure if this is true, or if the Tech was just trying to close out the call, but hopefully someone is truly working on this.  Cable is looking better and better every day...

Don't believe it.  I don't think they know the root cause yet.  

if you think Cable is better, then go for it.  

Message 43 of 58
Contributor

Same thing here.
After extensive troubleshooting (swapping audio & speaker cables, bypassing reciever and direct to tv hdmi input, etc.) I called directv , and had them swap out my box.

Still crackling. Lost all my dvr movies due to swap. Recorded titanic , and skipped to engine room scene after sailing off... crackle, crackle, crackle.

My main worry, aside from terrible sound, is will this crackling damage my speakers? Is it just harmless, annoying crackle, or is it clipping that will damage my tv or home theater speakers?

Also, would this technical problem, be grounds to let me out of my contract if it goes unsolved?
Message 44 of 58
Teacher

Has anyone stumbled upon a solution to this problem yet?  I just received a new firmware update last month and this defect is now even worse.  

Message 45 of 58
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support