Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

Teacher

Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

Sure could use some help here...

I am getting an occasional crackling sound (kind of sounds like the tweeters are blown on my speakers) coming from my center, left, and right channel speakers.  Lately (after the HD UI update) it has become more noticeable. 

This typically occurs when I am watching movies or programs in HD right when the action picks up.  Its even more noticeable when there is a scene with a lot of bass, like an explosion or crashing sound.  It almost makes me think that the DirecTV receiver is trying to convince my speakers that they should be playing bass frequencies through the tweeters. 

I have two home theater setups in my house.  One with a plasma TV and a high end Marantz receiver with new Polk speakers and the other in my basement with a projector, B&W speakers and another high end Marantz receiver.  Upstairs has a HR23-700 receiver, and downstairs I have a HR22-100 receiver.

This problem occurs on both setups.  I have even recorded shows where I have noticed the sound to see if it is there during play back.  This method makes it easy to reproduce the crackling by replaying the same section of video in either room with both setups.  My only common factor, other than DirecTV, is the Marantz receivers so I bypassed my upstairs receiver and played the sound through my TV speakers and again the crackling was there at the exact same spot it was when I heard it originally.

I have also done a lot of testing on both setups using a dedicated BluRay player and a PS3.  Both of those provide crystal clear audio without any distortion, crackling, or pooping.

Going even one step further I am also able to reproduce this when I play back the video I recorded using the DirecTV2PC feature.  I attached a audio clip from my PC playing this back so you can hear what the crackling sounds like.

Since I am hearing this on two different receivers, and on my PC via DirecTV2PC I have to assume that my recorders are recording the audio this way so it is either a box issue, software issue, or I guess it could be my signal coming in but it seems odd that it would only manifest during HD programming.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  I have a lot of money invested in my home theaters but with the quality of the service being provided by DirecTV and there receivers I might have been better off with the $99 Theater In A Box special of the week Frown

Message 1 of 58
ACE - Expert

Re: Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

mrmota - where are you located?  On which channel were you watching "Men in Black"?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 58
Tutor

I am located in Manor, Tx 78653

Signal Strength

(1-8)    97-95-97-0-96-96-96-97

(9-16)  96-95-95-97-96-97-95-98

(17-24) 96-0-95-97-92-100-95-95

(25-32) 95-96-95-96-95-97-90-100

MIB was on channel 501 and is also heard on How to Train Your Dragon that is currently playing.

I am setting up MIB to record from the West HBO feed and will go to the point in the movie where I heard the crackling.

I am streaming Mission Impossible 3 from Amazon VOD and no issues so far.

Thanks

In addition I just spent 3.99 with Amazon VOD for MIB and the audio crackling is not present.

Message 17 of 58
ACE - Expert

Still waiting to see the OP's signal readings.  

mrmota, best to start your own new thread with more information about your equipment.  Your problem might be totally different. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 58

I have the exact same problem here, crackling during certain dynamic scenes, and especially when there is bass present. It has been extremely bad recently.  I am running a HR34 via HDMI into a Denon 3808ci reciever.  The speakers are brand new Golden Ear SuperSat 50's.  I also had this problem with my Polk RTi 10 towers.  It happens through both HDMI and optical.  It also happens when bypassing the reciever and running HDMI straight to the TV and using the built in speakers.  Using other sources I get crystal clear sound, its only from DirecTV that i have this crackling.  HR34 was just installed a couple weeks ago, also had the crackling through the HR 20whatever that was in before.  House was brand new in 2003 with all structured wiring done by a specialty company.  Seems to be really bad when watching movies on any of the premium movie channels, but is randomly present on most any channel with dynamic audio.

Message 19 of 58
Tutor

Quote: Originally Posted by devildog0331 

I have the exact same problem here, crackling during certain dynamic scenes, and especially when there is bass present. It has been extremely bad recently.  I am running a HR34 via HDMI into a Denon 3808ci reciever.  The speakers are brand new Golden Ear SuperSat 50's.  I also had this problem with my Polk RTi 10 towers.  It happens through both HDMI and optical.  It also happens when bypassing the reciever and running HDMI straight to the TV and using the built in speakers.  Using other sources I get crystal clear sound, its only from DirecTV that i have this crackling.  HR34 was just installed a couple weeks ago, also had the crackling through the HR 20whatever that was in before.  House was brand new in 2003 with all structured wiring done by a specialty company.  Seems to be really bad when watching movies on any of the premium movie channels, but is randomly present on most any channel with dynamic audio.

Devildog,

Thanks for your input. As you can see from the previous post to yours I'm being told to start a new thread. I will not. DirecTV is not on my nice list right now. I just spent 30 minutes with support to get an update on the loss of Viacom channels and I do not feel I got to much of a give a damn about the loss of the kiddos channles and well Futurama is really the only loss I am feeling. This compounds this audio issue which I believe the OP, you and I have clearly outlined as the same issue. All of the cabling in my setup is new Audioquest for all of the speakers with a bran new AV setup. I was going to take it further and do other testing with the HR22's however I don't think I'll spin my wheels any further. One thing of use I got from the CSR is when my contract is up. I only have to pay August and I am contract free. Unless the audio issue is fixed and my bill is prorated appropriately I will be gone from Directv. I've been a loyal customer since 9/11/2001(yes the day) and I think my money and Directv will be parting ways within 45 days.

Again thanks for your input on this issue... and excuse my rant....

Message 20 of 58
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by mrmota 

Devildog,

Thanks for your input. As you can see from the previous post to yours I'm being told to start a new thread. I will not. DirecTV is not on my nice list right now. I just spent 30 minutes with support to get an update on the loss of Viacom channels and I do not feel I got to much of a give a damn about the loss of the kiddos channles and well Futurama is really the only loss I am feeling. This compounds this audio issue which I believe the OP, you and I have clearly outlined as the same issue. All of the cabling in my setup is new Audioquest for all of the speakers with a bran new AV setup. I was going to take it further and do other testing with the HR22's however I don't think I'll spin my wheels any further. One thing of use I got from the CSR is when my contract is up. I only have to pay August and I am contract free. Unless the audio issue is fixed and my bill is prorated appropriately I will be gone from Directv. I've been a loyal customer since 9/11/2001(yes the day) and I think my money and Directv will be parting ways within 45 days.

Again thanks for your input on this issue... and excuse my rant....

DIRECTV has been negotiating with Viacom, the owner of MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and other channels, to renew our contract to carry their channels at the most reasonable costs. Unfortunately, we haven’t reached an agreement yet. Since an agreement has not been reached, Viacom has forced us to temporarily remove their channels from our programming lineup.

The channels impacted include: BET, Centric (BET Jazz), CMT, Comedy Central, Logo, MTV, MTV2,  MTV India, Tr3s (Latin channel), Nick Jr, Nick Toons, Nick/Nick at Night, Palladia, Spike, TeenNick, TV Land, VH1 and VH1 Classic.

Disputes like these are usually resolved quickly so we’ve established directvpromise.com to keep you up-to-date on our latest news in our discussions with Viacom.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to a quick resolution that will enable you to see your favorite channels.

Message 21 of 58
ACE - Expert

I haven't seen any info about on what channels this audio problem occurs, other than mention of HBO. So does this happen on all channels, or just HBO?  If it is just on HBO, or only on a couple of channels, it is almost certainly a problem with the signal being delivered by those channels.

Message 22 of 58
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by bazinga

I made sure that I isolated the ground for my ground block to a dedicated ground rod separate from the home service ground.

This is the exact opposite of the way the system should be grounded. As previously posted, an effective ground of a Directv dish and coax requires that the system be bonded to the home's service ground. I again post the pic for an example of a correct install.

Message 23 of 58
Contributor

I am having this issue as well.  I have tried new hdmi cables and speaker cables, still makes the crackling noise.  Does anyone have any answers for this yet?

Message 24 of 58
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by lbakken85 

I am having this issue as well.  I have tried new hdmi cables and speaker cables, still makes the crackling noise.  Does anyone have any answers for this yet?

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

Message 25 of 58

I don't understand why you are telling people to start a new thread, It is painfully obvious that we are all having the same problem, by posting in one thread, it allows people to see that multiple people are sharing a problem. It allows us to share ideas and compare troubleshooting. I highly doubt it is equipment outside of the directv box causing this as a number of us have tried different configurations and we all have different equipment, yet the same problem.  I am pretty tech savvy and have over $10K invested in my system, I know its not wiring or my Sunfire amplifier, or my Denon reciever, or any of my other equipment causing the issue.  I'd actually love to hear the technical explanation on how an improper ground could cause this crackling through the speakers only during certain frequencies and scenes, and not on every channel at all times.  I have narrowed this down to either the DirecTv equipment, or the signal.   I will admit that i haven't attempted to figure out exactly which channels it happens on, I have noticed it on multiple channels, but i can't list them.   I was watching an 80's action movie a couple days ago on one of the premiums, and the crackling was so terrible i had to change the channel. 

Also, the forum software makes it extremely easy to track and respond to others, because everytime someone posts i get an e-mail, I don't see how it could be much easier than that.  Making each person start a new post reeks of trying to hide the issue where it can be treated as a one off issue.  Much harder to hide the issue with multiple people jumping in and saying, "oh yeah, thats happening to me too!

Message 26 of 58
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by devildog0331 

I don't understand why you are telling people to start a new thread, .....

Also, the forum software makes it extremely easy to track and respond to others, because everytime someone posts i get an e-mail, I don't see how it could be much easier than that.  Making each person start a new post reeks of trying to hide the issue where it can be treated as a one off issue.  Much harder to hide the issue with multiple people jumping in and saying, "oh yeah, thats happening to me too!

Nobody here is trying to "hide" anything.  If you spent as much time here as we do, you would quickly realize how lame this forum software is when trying to sort out multiple posters in one thread.  It's just about impossible.  Hence the advice to start a new thread.  Feel free to link to this one if you're convinced you have the exact same problem.  Usually we find that it's not exactly the same problem, though.  But in the end, it's your choice. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 27 of 58
Teacher

I too am having this issue.

But just a few minutes ago tech support came out and switched out all the hardware so will let you know if I still have the problem and if so I will make a new thread.

He switched out my two H24 boxes with H25/500 boxes and updated all the software. He also replaced my HR24/100 DVR and updated its software.

Like the others it was happening on all 3 TVs and only with DirectTV.

Message 28 of 58
Teacher

Dang, bad news, still have the problem. Smiley Sad

I was just watching "In Time" on HBO HD East and it started acting up once again.

My new forum thread is @ http://forums.directv.com/message/11092520#11092520

Message 29 of 58
Tutor

Exact same problem here. It happens on every channel with surround sound for me. It's at it's worst when there are moments of dynamic audio like others have previously mentioned.
Message 30 of 58
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support