Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. It would be interesting to know just how many of these poorly engineered pieces of crap have been upon the public. You are lucky you have a viable option to resort too. Directv was a great company before ATT got their claws into them.

Message 46 of 85

I’ve tried staying on the line long enough to reach s knowledgeable person. That mission is impossible!! The only remedy they have is knocking 40.00 off my bill for 12 months to lessen the impact of my suffering with this piece of crap called a Genie🤯
Message 47 of 85
Contributor

I had a Genie 2 installed two weeks ago. SInce that time I have noticed that the remote does not function as well as with my previous HR54 receiver and DVR. It is like there is a slight time delay before actions are started. This delay is causing me to hit the feature button twice to get the action I wanted and that cancels the action altogether. Anyone else notice this?

Message 48 of 85

Issues are clearly not resolved. Just got off the phone with a Directv rep who told me I could not get an equipment upgrade because all upgrades have been suspended. According to her this is due to massive Genie2 issues. Told me I am better off with my intermittently malfunctioning Genie1 than upgrade. To make matters worse apparently AT&T does not have a target date for resolution, at least not one they are willing to disclose.

Message 49 of 85
ACE - Expert

What upgrade?  The only upgrades are adding another room or adding 4K.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 50 of 85
Tutor

We've had our Genie 2 for 1 year now. The number of issues could fill a
novel and although the number has decreased, we still have a persistent
case of freezing! Our Genie 2 has been replaced twice. Infuriating! The
fact that Directv still has not resolved issues with the Genie 2 after one
year is not acceptable.
Message 51 of 85
ACE - Expert

The regular Genie, at least the 2nd/3rd generation (HR44, HR54), with HDDVRs is best setup.

Sacrificing all the capability of a full HDDVR for a 4K Client may be worth it for some if they value the 2 channels more.

Genie-2 (HS17) even if bugs are resolved is a restrictive design (forbids other HDDVRs) and since all Clients cannot work without the main box, this makes too much dependent on a single box for your service to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 52 of 85

Excuse me? I have a Genie 1/HR34 which is now two generations old - HR44 & HR54. I was just trying to get an equipment upgrade because of intermittent hangs on the HR34. Plus the firmware for the 34 is a dead end..

Message 53 of 85
ACE - Expert

Call/chat with DTV to get an HR44/54, $20 shipping covered  if you have the protection plan. The only upgrades are add a room or go to 4K.

Message 54 of 85
ACE - Expert

@LakeKeoweeJohn wrote:

Excuse me? I have a Genie 1/HR34 which is now two generations old - HR44 & HR54. I was just trying to get an equipment upgrade because of intermittent hangs on the HR34. Plus the firmware for the 34 is a dead end..

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and let them know your HR34 is dead. A warranty replacement will result in either an HR44 or HR54 as all 3 models are considered like for like, not upgrades. Just $19.95 shipping or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan. The only benefit over the HR44 that the HR54 has is supporting a 4K Client for the 2 channels. Both are vastly superior to the HR34 as faster processor, much more efficient cooling resulting in a sleeker design, has wireless CCK built in, and supports the new MobileDVR feature that replaced (somewhat) the old GenieGo/Nomad.

Remember the recordings on the HR34 will not copy to the replacement.

Do not "upgrade" to the Genie-2 (HS17) as that would be asking for more bugs and built in restrictions.

Message 55 of 85

Seems we have a issue with semantics. The Directv web site clearly tells me I qualify for a free UPGRADE to the latest equipment since I subscribe to the Protection Plan. The HR34 is not dead, just very slow and the Genie minis frequently drop the connection to the HR34. As a result we experience frequent blank screens following by "Connecting" messages. Additionally the latest UI is apparently not available on the 34.

Message 56 of 85
Teacher

Sadly ATT is not honoring what is offered. They lure you in with 'deals'
and then when the tech arrives to install your upgrade you are hit with
misc additional fees. Been there, done that. Still have issues and
extremely dissappointed with service. Cust service reps have no knowledge
of the product, cannot offer any solution and tech is left hanging. Since
AT&T took over, Directv has taken a nose dive.
Message 57 of 85
ACE - Expert

@LakeKeoweeJohn wrote:

Seems we have a issue with semantics. The Directv web site clearly tells me I qualify for a free UPGRADE to the latest equipment since I subscribe to the Protection Plan. The HR34 is not dead, just very slow and the Genie minis frequently drop the connection to the HR34. As a result we experience frequent blank screens following by "Connecting" messages. Additionally the latest UI is apparently not available on the 34.

The only "upgrade" from the HR34, HR44, and HR54 Genie DVRs is the new HS17 Genie Server.  You don't want that, at least not yet.  

It's too bad they don't consider an HR34 to HR44/54 as an "upgrade", but they don't (unless you're moving to 4K services, then you need the HR54+C61K Mini).  We often advise folks with the old original HR34 Genie to simply call and tell them it's dead.  They don't ship them anymore, so you'll get an HR44 or HR54 as a replacement.  

Message 58 of 85
ACE - Expert

@LakeKeoweeJohn

Upgrade would come with 24 month agreement. Warranty replacement does not.

Warranty replace the HR34 which will get you either a HR44 or HR54 and problem solved. You will not get HR34 as because of its issues it was discontinued and made non-returnable a couple years ago.

Genie-2 (HS17) is an "upgrade" according to their system, but because of post launch bugs and a restrictive design is in a practical sense a downgrade for most of us.

So just do a warranty replacement. If DirecTV comes out with a better level of equipment later then you have your upgrade ready.

Message 59 of 85
Contributor

ATT is the problem. Everything they touch goes sour!

Message 60 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support