Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85
Contributor

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Would you upgrade to g2 since software release? I had direct installed 2 weeks ago and then they disconnected and cancelled my account- No one can tell me why and they say I do not have an account for direct-They are setting me up for new install even though I have all the equip in house from 2 weeks ago!

i was a dish person for 15 yrs and although I did not like their failure to upgrade my leased equipment ,they never cancelled me at the flip of a switch. I was on phone for 6 hrs with various levels of att and David. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 16 of 85
Teacher

No I would not upgrade knowing what I know now. I too was with Dish and
NEVER had an issue. Thinking perhaps I made a mistake switching to Directv.

Message 17 of 85
Associated Member

The Genie 2 would Give him 500 more Gigs of recording space. Why is it not Encouraged?

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 85
ACE - Expert

Genies have a 1TB hard drive the HS17 has a 2TB hard drive and a lot of bugs.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 85
ACE - Expert

@DTVorange wrote:

The Genie 2 would Give him 500 more Gigs of recording space. Why is it not Encouraged?

Because the Genie-2 is buggy and the Genie setup can give more capability and flexibility. Let me list the differences using a common 3 TV setup (living room, 2 bedrooms for many people).

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54). If you have the HR34, get it warranty replaced as HR44/HR54 have major improvements over the 1st generation Genie.

With 2 HDDVRs has 2TB total built in space (1TB + 500GB + 500GB)

9 tuners (Genie 5, HDDVRs have 2 each)

Picture in Picture (PiP) feature

If Genie goes down for any reason such as cat unplugging power cord (personal experience) other receivers (not Clients) still work.

Separate hard drives so the recording playlists can be sorted, or even hidden (such as parents DVR hidden from kids or living room)

Receivers (not Clients) can be taken in an RV or to a vacation home/cabin as they do not need to stay connected to the Genie.

Just one box per TV, so 3 TVs is 3 total boxes.

HR54 Genie can support one 4K Client at a time using the 2 true 4K channels (3 if you count the PPV channel)

Genie-2 (HS17)

2TB built-in recording space.

7 tuners. This is hard cap shared with all TVs, no way to increase as it forbids anything but Clients on the account.

Clients are fed only 1 tuner each so there is no PiP feature.

Goes down, all TVs go down as they cannot work independently

1 Hard drive, so 1 playlist. No sorting or hiding of playlist available.

Cannot just pick up a box or 2 and travel for RV, cabin, etc. It stays put.

Headless server tower that sits by itself and feeds Clients to each TV. So have 1 box more than TVs as it sits by itself.

Intended to support two 4K Clients at the same time using one of the couple 4K channels.

Still buggy since launch last year.

The Genie-2 is too restrictive and buggy a design to recommend at this time. If the bugs were fixed, it might be considered for a 1 or 2 TV household if you want two TVs using the limited 4K content at the same time. Otherwise you will get more mileage, and certainly at this time reliability, out of a regular Genie. Also replacing a Genie and HDDVR with Genie-2 and Clients means you lose all the recordings you already have as there is no way to transfer.

If recording space is the concern, that can be increased. DirecTV boxes each support external eSATA hard drives if the internal one is not large enough for you. The internal is disabled while the external is connected (to prevent transferring of recordings) so external must be larger to make it worth it.

HDDVR has 500GB (since HR22) internal. Supports up to 2TB external.

Genie has 1TB internal. Supports up to 4TB external (officially). Other users have reported using up to 12TB successfully, but I find 4TB plenty. (Get externals for others if you need more).

Even using externals, Genie and HDDVRs can still sort/hide playlists unlike the Genie-2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 85
Contributor

I have the genie 2
But still do not have streaming to phone.
Message 21 of 85
Contributor

I had the genie 2 install about a week ago.

The set up has a stand alone bridge with the genie 2 bridge I have six TVs ..3 4k and 3 hd the genie 2 bridge works the 3 wired 4k minis  and the stand alone bridge works the 3 wireless minis have not had any problem working very well faster than my other genie 54 hd 700

Message 22 of 85
Contributor

I too scheduled to have upgrade to Genie 2 to get the 4k capability.  Service tech showed up and refused to upgrade the equipment because of issues with the Genie 2 software.  Bad enough they no-showed first two scheduled appointments. As one would expect, a company like DIRECTV with layers and layers of getting anything right took away my free upgrade after the tech call.  Subscriber since 1996, not sure why.

Message 23 of 85
Contributor

So what did you end up with? I still can’t stream to direct, no account is setup and nobody know why.
Message 24 of 85

I ended up getting the HR54-500 (which is listed as the Genie 3 on my account) installed in the basement. I didn't have a receiver down there before and would just watch over the air channels when working out but I'd been thinking about getting a receiver for down there for a while now.  That worked out best for me rather than getting rid of my HR24.  They replaced my other receiver with the 4K Genie Mini.  It's worked out well.  I'm glad I did that instead of going with the Genie 2 or getting rid of my other DVR. 

Message 25 of 85
ACE - Expert

Glad to hear it is working out.

It is listed as Genie gen 3 because HR54 is the 3rd generation of the regular Genie, after the HR34 and HR44. So some differences as opposed to a completely different design with the Genie-2 (HS17).

Message 26 of 85

smart move. I'm a Dtv tech with almost a decade of satellite installation experience under my belt and I'll tell you that you don't want the headaches of the Genie 2 until they resolve the issues. 

I tried to talk everyone out of upgrading to it but occasionally will get someone that will want it anyway, then once they have it, call and complain that they want their old equipment back because they can't handle all of the issues that occur with it including stopping, restarting, freezing and losing connection.

It'll be a good product eventually, but only once they've patched the bugs.

Message 27 of 85

there could be several reasons for this.  if you did the bundle with their Internet partner such as CenturyLink, they'd have to set you up on a new account by simply replacing the equipment that you have with the same equipment.

Another instance where they do this is when you've been installed  by a retailer and not a certified technician. Many times they must set it up as a new account in order to remove them out of the picture and correct any installation related problems.

Message 28 of 85
ACE - Expert

@njdevilzguy wrote:

there could be several reasons for this.  if you did the bundle with their Internet partner such as CenturyLink, they'd have to set you up on a new account by simply replacing the equipment that you have with the same equipment.

Another instance where they do this is when you've been installed  by a retailer and not a certified technician. Many times they must set it up as a new account in order to remove them out of the picture and correct any installation related problems.

If there is an install problem, in an extreme case they may have to close it all out and start new depending on how bad the setup was.

If you bundle with any of their internet providers, a new account should NOT be created as that is account fraud. Existing accounts can bundle with internet. A new account is created because an agent wants credit for a new order for both the internet provider and a new DirecTV account which is very very wrong.

Message 29 of 85

Someone should file a class action law suit against directv. I fell for the free upgrade about 9 months ago WITHOUT being told about the horrible problems surrounding the Genie 2. Spent hours in the phone with their many offshore reps before finally getting a US based rep. Told them all I wanted was my old equipment back, was originally told I could get it back but with a 300.00 fee for the swap out. When I scraped myself off the ceiling, I asked for a supervisor and was turned over to someone else who told me it would not be possible to get the older equipment back and that I really had no recourse as the problems with the Genie 2 were known issues at the time. Ironically known only to directv and other customers who were duped. They did offer a 40.00 discount for twelve months. I will have to suffer thru the problems for a few months and then get back on the gerbil wheel with them again. Shame is Directv was once a great company with excellent customer service until ATT got involved.

Message 30 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support