Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Vast majority has problems with no fix in sight!
Message 76 of 85

Don’t do it!
Message 77 of 85
ACE - Expert

@Dollarslots wrote:
Don’t do it!

As we have recommended to the prior poster, do not get the Genie-2.

We have suggested on a system that has the HR54 and 3 C51 to keep that model Genie and upgrade only a Client. Either to the C61K if they want the couple 4K channels, or to an HDDVR (better in my opinion) to get more tuners, recording space, and reliability. Though in the end the HR54, 2 HDDVRs, and the C61K would be a very nice setup. More capability than the Genie-2 could ever reach.

We have provided the pros and cons of these options, and for several reasons (both design and post launch bugs) to stay away from the Genie-2 (HS17). I think they get the picture before multiple posts of "Don't do it!" with no context.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 78 of 85

AT&T Tech swapped out the HR34 for an HR54-500 and two of the original minis for the new minis. Both of the new minis are coax connected. Other that a couple of "outages" for software updates, we have been problem free. Certainly a major change from where we were with the 34. I was ready to switch to DISH. My biggest hurdle is NFL Sunday Ticket, it is the only way we can get Packers games in SC.

Message 79 of 85
ACE - Expert

@LakeKeoweeJohn

Glad you got the HR34 swapped. The HR44 and HR54 are major improvements over it as they had to do a big redesign from the original.

Do not upgrade to the Genie-2 (HS17) or you will go backwards on that improvement. Replacing Minis with HDDVRs would be ok as that maximizes capability in the long run.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 80 of 85
Contributor

I got the new upgrade with one genie and 2 mini’s. When I choose a channel from the guide the tv says no source and I loose picture. I have to turn the receiver off and then the channel will be on the tv. This only happens intermittently. Crazy. Any suggestions 

Message 81 of 85
Contributor

Not in my lifetime.

Message 82 of 85
ACE - Expert

@ablackcloud wrote:

Not in my lifetime.

Almost a year later, not sure who/what you are responding to.

I'll go out on a limb and assume you are responding to the topic. Genie-2 (HS17) has improved since launch regarding bugs, but not completely.

Even if bugs were fully squashed, I personally would not recommend this model because of the built-in restrictions. The 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54) and HDDVRs hits the sweet spot for being a reliable system, most capability, and no difference in monthly cost. A HR54 setup having a 4K Client instead of an HDDVR on one TV can be ok for select households.

Since there has been no official answer, I will for the time being hold onto the hope that AT&T is not changing completely to a Client only system. My hope is they are converting accounts to a new system and equipment to SWM-only. So as the dust settles from this, I really wish for SWM-only HDDVRs to come out that can work with the Genie-2 (and possibly the regular Genie), but I will just have to wait and see what actually happens.

Message 83 of 85
Contributor

Yep, the HS-17. I fell for a free upgrade and it has been trouble ever since with "known issues". Everyone should stick to their HR-54 like you suggest. I wish I could get mine back. Last month, they replaced my original Genie2 with another Genie 2 which didn't work any better. The slapped me with a two year contract at the same time and now I have to fight with them again and again. Extortion.

The black cloud

Message 84 of 85
ACE - Expert

@ablackcloud wrote:
Yep, the HS-17. I fell for a free upgrade and it has been trouble ever since with "known issues". Everyone should stick to their HR-54 like you suggest. I wish I could get mine back. Last month, they replaced my original Genie2 with another Genie 2 which didn't work any better. The slapped me with a two year contract at the same time and now I have to fight with them again and again. Extortion.

The black cloud

Tech or system made an error. Swapping HS17 for another HS17 is a warranty replacement, not an upgrade. So if the replacement resulted in a 24 month agreement, that was wrong. Only upgrades are supposed to come with 24 month agreement.

Some have been able to get back to a regular Genie setup for free depending on issues they have had. When you call them back and get the voice system say "cancel". The retention/cancellation department can make proper record of an invalid agreement (as would affect cancellation fee) for a warranty replacement, and could be your best shot getting a regular Genie for little to no cost. Otherwise a Genie is $299 one-time lease cost before your next free upgrade.

Over the years I have been pleased about equipment options. Even understood the quirky models, last made for DirecTV TiVO (THR22) and Genie Lite (H44). But the Genie-2 (HS17) is the 1st time I have been completely against a model. Even if bug free, the restrictions are horrible for many of us. My setup of a HR44 and two HR24s outperforms the HS17 by leaps and bounds.

Message 85 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support