Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

U b right
Message 61 of 85

Got tired of the problems with the HR34, so I called AT&T again. Was
either going to get replacement equipment or switch to DISH. Asked for
an HR54 to REPLACE the 34. Rep said no can do, can only provide an HR44.
Finally asked to speak with a supervisor. Told him the last time I
called in I had been told to stay away from the Genie 2. According to
him the wired Genie 2 is solid, only the wireless 2's are a problem.
Ended up with agreement to provide an HR54 and 2 new wired Genie 2
mini's. I will keep using the single existing wireless Genie 1 mini,
which he indicates will be fully compatible with the HR54. We will see
how it goes. Tech is due out Monday (9/17).
Message 62 of 85
ACE - Expert

@LakeKeoweeJohn

A warranty replacement of the HR34 would get a HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. The agent cannot specify which one you get. The only way to guarantee the HR54 is if you do an upgrade to get a C61K on another TV for the 4K service. Supporting the 4K Client is the only advantage of the HR54 above the HR44.

To date all Clients, except the C61K, are compatible with all models of Genies as there hasn't been a huge enough advancement in them yet.

I would prefer HDDVRs over any model of Client. Get 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and it can work regardless if the Genie is or not (such as loose power cord causing it to reset). As the Genie-2 (HS17) forbids anything but Clients, I could not recommend that system per the huge restriction. My Genie and 2 HDDVRs outperform the Genie-2 with their 9 tuners and independent processing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 63 of 85
ACE - Expert

All Genies are wired it is only the mini clients that are either wired or wireless.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 64 of 85
ACE - Master

maybe they are calling the c41w the wireless 1 and the newer c61w the wireless 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 65 of 85
Mentor

I think I'll get the Genie 2... I hope it's all fixed.

Message 66 of 85

don't get it you'll have problems because the software isn't working. Every
single person has issues with it. You'll have to reset it 5 times a day, no
connection to satellite, you're better off leaving ATT. I went back to cox
and have never been happier with my tv and internet services......

##- Please type your reply above this line

---------------------------

Jeramy [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

{Inappropriate content removed}

Message 67 of 85
ACE - Master

actually not every single person has issues

some are actually happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 68 of 85

The software isn't updated which means it's all bad. Direct Tv is Crap
since ATT took over. No need to reply I'm done with that company and this
forum. Just trying to warm you about the thousands that are having
issues......
Message 69 of 85
ACE - Expert

@rickwhoo wrote:

I think I'll get the Genie 2... I hope it's all fixed.

Not all fixed, but not everyone experiences issues.

The main concern is it is hard capped on tuners and makes all TVs dependent on one box which is a downgrade for many setups.

What models are your current boxes?

Are you adding TVs, or just looking to upgrade what you already have?

Do you already have a 4K TV and trying to get the 2 channels on it?

Message 70 of 85
Mentor

I have a Genie Gen 3 with 3 Minis.

I'm looking to upgrade.

I will be purchasing a 4K TV in the very near future.

Message 71 of 85
ACE - Expert

@rickwhoo wrote:

I have a Genie Gen 3 with 3 Minis.

I'm looking to upgrade.

I will be purchasing a 4K TV in the very near future.

Assuming that you mean the HR54, then you have a couple reasonable upgrade paths instead of the Genie-2.

1. Upgrade a Mini to a HDDVR. Gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and as it has independent processing it takes some load off the Genie. And unlike Clients, can work even if Genie doesn't.

2. After you have the 4K TV, upgrade a Mini to 4K getting the C61K. This would gain the 2 channels in 4K (plus a PPV channel). The C61K goes on the 4K TV itself, HR54 on a non-4K TV.

There is no monthly cost difference between these 2 options or your existing setup as same number of TVs and you have full receiver services already. In the end the best setup may be Genie, 2 HDDVRs, and the C61K on your 4K TV as this gives you 9 tuners which is more than the Genie-2 has, more reliability, and you can still enjoy the couple 4K channels. Remember upgrade normally only covers one box. As the one-time lease cost of an HDDVR is $199 and Mini is $99, if you get more than 1 box I would use the free upgrade to get the HDDVR so you pay the smaller cost for adding the Mini on the order.

Message 72 of 85
ACE - Master

what are your current mini models? if you already have a c61k, no need to upgrade

unless you want another dvr and 2 year contract

Message 73 of 85
Mentor

I have the HR-54 and the minis are 2 C51-500 and 1 C51-100

Message 74 of 85
ACE - Expert

The -100 is the manufacture code, just saying which company contracted with DirecTV built the box, but they are to the same specs.

So you could upgrade 1 of your Clients to a C61K to get 4K to gain 2 channels and have the same capability otherwise. Or upgrade one of those Clients instead to an HDDVR gaining more piece of mind with tuners, recording space, and can work independently of the Genie if ever needed. Both are upgrades to your setup.

Still, do NOT get the Genie-2 as that would restrict your options to Clients and as such a hard cap on tuners.

Message 75 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support