Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85
Teacher

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Not a bad idea. This is awful service for what we are charged and I am
sure the rates will only go up!
Poor management and poor due diligence on the part of Directv. The
'upgrade' was suppose to of been free. I have had issues with my bill every
month and then I have to spend time getting that straight. They try to
nickel and dime me. Growing weary of Directv.
Message 31 of 85

My experience was a 3 hour test of my endurance. I found that ATT/DIRECTV offshore agents to be poorly trained to handle the Genie 2 issue. It is beyond my comprehension how a global company like att could release to the public, a product with known issues, and with no certainty when the issues would be resolved. I’ll wait the year out to see what happens. If I’m still getting the run around I’ll drop all my bundled att products and I suggest that if enough other unserviced customers did the same, that action might spur them to provide a resolution.
Message 32 of 85
Teacher

I have been on the phone with 4 different DirecTV departments for 57 minutes now, trying to get a free upgrade to a HR54. DirecTV will give me a Genie 2 for free, but wants to charge me $299 for the lesser, but reliable, HR54.

Besudes all the Genie 2 problems I have  read about, I also learned that the Gensue 2 only mounts vertically and thus will not fit in my rack oriented home theater system, which has the ubiquitous standard for 20+ years. 

Absolutely crazy.

Message 33 of 85
ACE - Expert

@tecsi wrote:

I have been on the phone with 4 different DirecTV departments for 57 minutes now, trying to get a free upgrade to a HR54. DirecTV will give me a Genie 2 for free, but wants to charge me $299 for the lesser, but reliable, HR54.

Besudes all the Genie 2 problems I have  read about, I also learned that the Gensue 2 only mounts vertically and thus will not fit in my rack oriented home theater system, which has the ubiquitous standard for 20+ years. 

Absolutely crazy.

Right. Don't get an HS17 Genie2 Server, at least not yet. Still too buggy. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 85
Associated Member

In a short reply Why is

"Receivers (not Clients) can be taken in an RV or to a vacation home/cabin as they do not need to stay connected to the Genie."

This RV stuff from the 90's still encourged i tell every customer i speak with to use the website from a laptop  with an hdmi out to watch TV outside the home instead of hauling a receiver and dish around, A lot of parks have Cell access now and with 5g about to  drop the days of hauling around and dish and receiver will be over,

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 35 of 85
Tutor

Ha. I’m a tech as well and talk everyone I can out of getting that piece of crap as well. 

Message 36 of 85
ACE - Expert

@DTVorange

Except the streaming perks are not intended to watch on TV as that would avoid paying for that TV on the service and allow people to give free service to a friend or family member at another residence which would violate Directv's terms of service and cause issues with the FCC as taxes paid, local channels authorized, and professional sports viewing are all managed by the service address that all receivers are supposed to be at.

When traveling you tend to have sky more often than cell service. Especially if you are going to enjoy the outdoors instead of just staying within cities or other populated areas where cell service is more abundant.

The Genie-2 (HS17) is anti RV as you cannot take a single Client with you. It also hard caps the tuners at 7. A household with a Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners with possibility for more depending on individual household needs. The Genie-2 has a extremely restrictive design that is actually a downgrade for many of us. Also if that Genie-2 goes down for any reason, even accidently unplugged, then ALL TVs go down as Clients cannot work by themselves. But a Genie with other HDDVRs (or even non-DVR models) the other TVs still work as they are not entirely dependent on one box. The Genie-2 reduces service and puts all the eggs in one basket making it quite problematic.

Now since all non SWM boxes are non returnable at this point (even the last regular HDDVR HR24 which is still a perfectly fine model), are we expecting SWM only HDDVRs to come out that will work with the Genie-2 (even possibly a 2nd generation model)? Or is the business decision to hard cap services instead of the freedom of flexibility we have enjoyed for years?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 85
Tutor

No. We aren’t. Genie and clients and the Genie2 are pretty much what we have to look forward to. I read that another tech had said something about an hs27. I havent heard a thing about that. I do know that att is trying to get away from stb period.
Message 38 of 85

Thanks for your input. The only concession I received from att was a 40.00 reduction in my bill for a year. If there are still issues at the end of the year I’m going a different route with all my att products. While directv is ongoing problem so is their offshore tech service with all their products.
Message 39 of 85

Genie 2 problems are still bad. The issue is that ATT doesn't recommend the genie 2, it's direct tv using private contractors that screws us over. I have the genie 2 because it has 11 servers as me and my kids can finally all watch demand at the same time. The regular genie 1 only has 5 tuners. Let's do the math. 3 tvs is already 3 tuners. Plus watching demand records the show so that's the other 2 tuners used. This is ridiculous! The genie 2 had to be reset at least 4 times a day and just randomly shuts the tvs off. There's still unknown on demand conflict and playback issues. These are the only 2 viewing options after all the years direct tv has been around, what a joke! They take our money and we get issues. You have 2 options, stick to the out of date genie 1, or leave.....

Message 40 of 85
Contributor

I am having the same problems with the Genie 2.  First service call nobody showed up and I wasted a day waiting for them.  Second service call this last Monday and the tech told me there is nothing he can do the software issues are the problem and there is no fix as of now.  Called direct tv service today and the lady had the balls to tell me she wasnt aware of any problems...LOL!  I told her to look at this website and many others, there are problems.  She told me they would come out again this Monday and fix the problem.  I am giving them ONE more chance and then I am going to stay on the phone with them until I speak to somebody who has a brain and can replace my equipment or I am leaving!!  I have a feeling they wont be able to fix by what I have read here and over the net.

Message 41 of 85
ACE - Expert

@JeramyG1979

The Genie-2 has 7 tuners, hard capped. The regular Genie has 5 tuners individually, but each HDDVR adds 2 each (or 1 for each HD non-DVR). As the Genie-2 forbids anything but Clients on the account, the regular Genie is a far superior system as it allows customers flexibility. Plus if the Genie goes down, HDDVRs still work. But if the Genie-2 goes down, all your TVs are broken.

Genie-2 (HS17): 7 tuners hard capped, 2TB hard drive. Only uses Clients.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) with 3 HDDVRs: 11 tuners, 2.5TB recording space, capability can be increased with more HDDVRs, HD non DVRs, or even up to 3 Clients to spread it out as needed. Those that have the 1st generation Genie (HR34) should get it warranty replaced as the HR44 and HR54 were a huge improvement in processing power, support for mobile DVR, and better cooling so does not have the overheating issues of the 1st model.

For those reasons, and there is no monthly cost difference between Client, HD non DVR, and HDDVR, I personally recommend regular Genie with HDDVRs to maximize capability, reliability, and no higher cost compared to the other setups.

Message 42 of 85
Tutor

We have the Genie 2 and we 15 tuners.
Message 43 of 85

I spoke to many reps including the office of the president. The genie 1
does not have 11 tuners I already experienced the 5 it has. The genie 2 has
11 tuners.... Regardless this is cheap equipment and we the people still
have to pay the bill. The genie 2 is a prototype that was not supposed to
be released to the public as of yet but direct TV is hungry for money.
There is nothing you can say to fix the many issues going on. Directtv
gives the prototypes to art to try it our on a test run and even though it
is malfunctioning they still allow clients to get it. The sad thing is they
act like they do not know about any problems. I am going back to Cox......
End of Convo..
Message 44 of 85
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Here is the correct info regarding tuners as there is confusion from my last post. Hopefully this clears it up.

The Genie-2 has 7 tuners, no more. It can pair with up to 8 Clients, but only 7 can be in use at one time. These tuners are shared between watching TV and recording.

The regular Genie has 5 tuners.

Regular HDDVRs have 2 tuners each.

So a Genie + 3 HDDVRs is 11 tuners that the Genie-2 cannot reach as it forbids HDDVRs. Even a Genie and just 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, still beyond what the Genie-2 can provide.

Solid signal an authorized 3rd party retailer for Directv equipment has a great PDF itemizing the specs of the Genie-2, including showing it has 7 tuners.

The Genie-2 is sub-standard when it comes to overall capability by not allowing HDDVRs. Regular Genie (except original HR34 per much better hardware in the HR44/HR54 models) with HDDVRs is the most capability and certainly more reliable as they each have their own processing power.

Message 45 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support