Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Message 1 of 85
ACE - Expert

Re: Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

No there are still bugs in the software, yes 2TB and a 7 tuner cap as the account will not allow any other DTV receivers only minis.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 85

Thank you for the response.  I think I'm going to call them back and ask them to either send the HR54 instead or cancel the upgrade because it doesn't sound like it's random issues for just a few people.  It sounds very wide spread and it's just not something I'm willing to accept for a paid service, knowing beforehand about the issues.

Message 3 of 85
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by amidnightsoul
‎01-20-2018 11:18 AM

Genie-2 still has post launch bugs. it is a 7 tuner max (cannot be increased) shared between TVs. It feed Clients to each TV and will not work with anything else.

You could order a 4K upgrade to the C61K Mini Genie Client to replace the regular HDDVR. Tech on site would have to complimentary swap the HR44 for the HR54 to be compatible. Recordings are lost on any DVR that is replaced as they cannot copy over.

I highly discourage against a 4K upgrade if you only have 2 TVs and already have a Genie and regular HDDVR. You have 7 tuners and 1.5TB space between them. Replacing your regular HDDVR means you lose the recording space and tuners reducing you to 1TB and 5 tuners. If the Genie-2 were more reliable than it would have been an option to consider for a 1-2 TV household. There are only a couple true 4K channels so I suggest keeping your current setup for more mileage out of the system. If you still consider the C61K (getting HR54 in the process) upgrade for 4K then below is the additional info you need.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 85
Highlighted

Thank you for the details.  Now that I see the whole picture, I definitely agree.  It's not worth it to upgrade. I will cancel the install.  Maybe in time, they'll work out the bugs and it'll be worth it but for now, I'm happy with what I have and there aren't any issues so I'll stick with it. 

Message 5 of 85
Tutor

I have 3 HD TVs and 2 4K. I recently upgraded to Genie2. On demand and dtv movies not working. So is there a way around this where I can get the 4K resolution on my 2 4ks and also get the

on demand feature back? In layman’s terms please. Lol. Direct tv tech been here twice and replaced tower but 48 hours in the feature still not working. Are they not aware of this issue??? Anyway, can you suggest anything? 

Message 6 of 85
Tutor

We have been fighting with our Geni 2 all week.  Will not stay on.  Constant search for receiver warning.  No picture.  When it is rebooted it sometimes resolves for an hour or two; or it will simply stop and pause for the day.  Two techs have been out.  Say it is a software problem.  Downgrading will turn into a new investment for some reason?  Ridiculous.  Why release something that only has problems.

CC

Message 7 of 85
Teacher

As long as there are issues we should get credits on our bills. 

Tired of pictures freezing routinely. 

Message 8 of 85
ACE - Expert

I can only assume they had to meet some sort of deadline with the release of the Genie-2 (HS17). The bugs showcase it was released too early. Also it is a downgrade from a regular Genie in that it doesn't support other boxes except Clients meaning you are hard capped on tuners, no Picture in Picture (PiP) feature, and if the main box goes down so do all your TVs since Clients cannot work by themselves unlike regular boxes. All that sacrifice so you can access one of the 2 true 4K channels (3 if you count the PPV) on 2 TVs at the same time instead of just 1 TV at a time with a HR54 setup with the Client only on the 4K TV itself.

In my opinion a Genie and 2 HDDVRs beat out the Genie-2 setup.

Message 9 of 85
Tutor

We have had our Genie 2 since Oct. 2017. The problems were persistent until recently. The Genie just flashed an update this past week. The picture freezing via C61 has not happened since. It does however, happen via C41 wireless clients.  Also, we have had 15 tuners since installation. 

Message 10 of 85
Tutor

hi. May I ask where you reside as I heard during one of my many calls that
they were rolling out updates via geographical locations. I just received
a new tower today and once installed it is doing the exact same thing. No
change. A third tech and his supervisor are coming out Friday. At least
you give me hope because we have all wired clients. Seven but still
wired. How long was you battle from start to finish. Thank you for your
reply.

CC
Message 11 of 85
Teacher

I'm in Wharton Tx
50 miles SW of Houston.
Message 12 of 85
Tutor

We are in Los Angeles and have the HS17 Genie 2 since October 2017.
Message 13 of 85
ACE - Expert

@RugbyGuy wrote:

We have had our Genie 2 since Oct. 2017. The problems were persistent until recently. The Genie just flashed an update this past week. The picture freezing via C61 has not happened since. It does however, happen via C41 wireless clients.  Also, we have had 15 tuners since installation. 

If you truly have 15 tuners I take it you have a Genie (possibly the 2nd gen HR44), but not the Genie-2 (HS17)

The Genie-2 (HS17) has 7 tuners. So it can be tuned into 7 channels (recording or watching TV) at once. So you can run up to 7 Clients if nothing is recording. To have 15 tuners would be a regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) which is 5 tuners and mix of other receivers (DVRs have 2 tuners each, non-DVRs have 1 tuner each).

Message 14 of 85
Tutor

I believe he is saying that Directv has sent him that many tuners; the
Genie 2 towers themself. Saying they have sent him that many to try and
fix it. I am already on my second and it's not working either. Same
problem as the first.
Message 15 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support