Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AM 21 OTA Receiver Barely functions as it should? New ATT Issue!

Tutor

AM 21 OTA Receiver Barely functions as it should? New ATT Issue!

Doesn't anyone else besides me feel they are being screwed over by DirecTV, typical of what ATT does to all of their customers? I was always able to receive and record OTA channels, now, for no other reason than ATT's greed, most OTA channels stopped working, including the now blacked out channels!  They only wish to screw us until we give them more money, even at the loss of functionality and degraded performance that we already pay for.  *****

[word filter avoidance]  

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: AM 21 OTA Receiver Barely functions as it should? New ATT Issue!

They are not disabling the antenna option. Though the AM21 was discontinued years ago, the database is being updated in support of the Local Channel Connector (LCC) the new accessory they are testing out. You might need to run through the setup again to refresh the information.

If still having technical issues after trying to refresh, instead of throwing useless accusations around, please provide details so that other users could try to help (full description of issue, error messages, what you've tried so far to resolve, etc.).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

The AM21 works just the same as it always did. I have two.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Tutor

I have refreshed.  When I get a chance, I will detail my issues within the next few days.  What do you mean "the database is being updated in support of the Local Channel Connector (LCC) the new accessory they are testing out"?  Does that mean the AM 21 still works and gets all the OTA channels?  Because if it does, I'm not getting them, and would love to know how to.  As for throwing accusations, *****  I don't see them as being customer friendly, at least not in my experience with them as cell phone provider, and now as the DirecTV owner.  This is the kind of thing they do over and over, I.E - change the experience so THEY benefit at the expense of their customer.

[word filter avoidance]

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

The AM21 still works. The database has been updated recently because they are testing in limited markets the successor (the LCC), so for some areas there are additional channels listed. The AM21 not working at the moment is just some sort of technical issue, not something that AT&T/DirecTV is doing to you.

Don't know if you still have it, but here is the user guide for the AM21 just in case:

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/support/landingpage/userguides/directv/pdf/AM21-Off-Air-Tu...

And so you have the info for reference: The testing markets for the LCC is Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, but has been available on a limited basis for those in an area affected by negotiations with Nexstar Media Group (a local channel affiliate). It is only compatible with the 2nd and 3rd generation Genie (HR44 and HR54). It does come with a simple indoor antenna, but you can use your own as preferred like with the AM21.

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

My AM21s still work just fine. Seattle area database was recently updated so I get all of my local station sub-channels now. It's great!

Message 6 of 10
Tutor

OK.  Re-installed the AM-21, which took quite a while for the receiver to do.  It has now added the channels that I used to get with one problem.  There are the old channels listed, which mostly still don't work, and then there are a new set of the same channels that now work.  The problem is that the new channels have no schedule; they list as "regular schedule".  The old channels list what's actually on, however, they don't work.  The error message says "You may be experiencing poor video quality on this channel because the over the air signal is too low (792)".  So, I can't really delete them because I won't know what's on.  If that's confusing, I get say two channels, 12-1 and 12-1.  One works but has no schedule; the other has a schedule but doesn't work.  It's bee over two days and the problem remains the same.    

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

Sounds like either a conflict with the AM21 and the updated database, or the updates themselves to the database are having issues. DirecTV is probably in a rush to get the database and Local Channel Connector (LCC, the long awaited successor to the discontinued AM21) ready for national launch or at least to improve the experience for those affected by negotiations. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

Some channels changed their frequency so that is why you are getting two sets, try resetting again.

Message 9 of 10
Tutor

OK, So I re-scanned the channels, which takes forever, BTW.  No objective improvement.  Bottom line is I can't record these channels anymore, which is a serious drawback.  Thanks, AT&T!  *****  Customer since 2003!  Dish, anyone?

[word filter avoidance]

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support