Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Highlighted
Tutor

Do I need a new Genie receiver when I upgrade my tv to a 4K set ?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by kheifert1
‎01-14-2018 2:56 PM

Re: 4K

You need an HR54 Genie or HS17 Genie2 to get the 3 4K channels that DTV now has but to watch them in 4K you need a C61K mini connected to the 4K TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Directv also has the Genie-2 (HS17), but it is not recommended. Post launch bugs and no Picture in Picture (PiP) feature if that matters for you. Also Genie/Genie-2 work as a server for Clients, so if they go down, all Clients go down. A regular Genie goes down, though this still affects Clients, regular HDDVRs still work. Plus the Genie-2 caps out at 7 tuners. A regular Genie and 2 HDDVRs gets you 9 tuners for example.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Mentor

So the logical move from an HR44 Genie with client is a HR544 Genie with client.  Is that correct?

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

If you order a 4K update then DTV will swap the HR44 with an HR54/HS17(don't allow if you want the HR54) and includes the C61K mini. 

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

Order a 4K upgrade to replace your Mini Genie Client with model C61K. This would result in tech on site replacing HR44 with HR54 to be compatible.

Few things to keep in mind:

Recordings from HR44 will not copy, as with all DVRs recordings are encrypted to the box that recorded them.

HR54 does not have a phone jack so cannot use the old Caller ID on TV feature. The HR44 was the last that supported that feature.

HR54 does not have front panel controls. But Directv does have a remote app for smart phones. I used it a few days ago when the old remote finally gave out and was waiting on new one.

Clients have no tuners or recording space themselves, and cannot work unless the Genie is working. An alternative upgrade option to consider instead of gaining a couple 4K channels, is replacing Mini Genie Client with an HDDVR. This would gain you 2 tuners and 500GB of space and is not dependent on the Genie to work, though can still share the recording playlist. For some this gets more mileage out of their system. There is no difference in monthly cost between a Client and a regular HDDVR.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support