Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4K not authorized shortly after install

Highlighted
Contributor

4K not authorized shortly after install

Hey all. So today had a tech out and he installed a Genie 2 and the 4k mini. I have a TCL 4K TV. I got the message "This TV supports 4k" at startup. Anyways when my tech left he showed me the 3 4k channels. I thought "cool, I'll watch now". As he's leaving he tells me "Those channels will take awhile to work, you'll get a not authorized message, just ignore it". He then said something about software downloads etc. 

Does this make sense to anyone or was this guy just trying to get out of fixing an issue I had? Just seems odd to me.

UPDATE: Channel 1104 now works and displays movies to order .However I can't order them and 104, 105, 106 don't work.

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Master

Re: 4K not authorized shortly after install

what package do you have?

what message is the channel showing?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Contributor

Was this ever resolved? Just got hooked up to receive 4k programming on Sept 22, 2018. I am having the same problem. Called DirecTV technical support. I was told this is a known problem and may need a software download to fix. He had no idea when this might happen.

Message 3 of 21
Contributor

To get 4K, you need - new LNB on the dish, a 4K mini genie (hard wire connection), 4K TV, 4K turned on at DirecTV on your account.  I recently upgraded and when I tried to view channel 104-106 I received the message "Not Authorized" on the screen.  My issue was due to the 4K mini genie not being connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV.  Your TV may say it is 4K, but 4K may not be supported on all HDMI ports.  In my case on a 55" PCL, I had to use HDMI 2.  Once you switch the cable to the correct port, reboot the mini genie and then go into settings>display>resolution to make sure 4K is checked.  If you can't check 4K, you have the wrong HDMI port.  

Message 4 of 21
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-25-2018 3:33 PM

My problem was old firmware on my 2 mini genie clients from 2016. When I suspected this to be the problem I decided to restart them by pulling out the power cords.  When they restarted new software downloads were available. I installed them and everything started working. Thanks for the input.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 21
Tutor

Exact same thing has happened to me. Has been 6 days and 4k channels still say not authorized....have been contacting service for 6 days with no resolution whatsoever

Now to top it off, I had a tech appt today that was a no show no call!   This is ridiculous!  Has anyone gotten their 4k channels to work with an HR54 and a C61k genie mini?

Message 6 of 21

Same thing here installed on 1/7 and tech came out today and said it’s a nationwide software issue.  When I called tech support after the tech left, they said they did not know of this issue, it’s insane!  Now waiting for an email from the engineering department stating they have received and will be reviewing this issue.  I was told it could take a week to receive the email from engineering.  

Message 7 of 21
Tutor

-- at least your tech showed up! Mine never did even after two robocalls confirming he would.  When I contacted them after the window had passed, they said my appt was scheduled but a tech was never dispatched?  Seriously? Thats their answer....Anyway, after several hours on the phone with tech support today to no avail, I think I ended up figuring out the issue.  The genie mini 4k is still running software dated Feb 23, 2016!! Thats almost 3 years ago and long before 4k so no way that can work with my new tv and provide me the three 4k channels offered by Directv.  That software is called 0x7e6. The newer one is called 0x10d1, unfortunately, for a week now trying to upgrade to that one always ends in a failed message. When I told a tech that today, he had me try a few things but of course they didnt work. He is now sending a new mini genie that hopefully will be able to update properly to the current software and that will hopefully get my channels working as I know everything else checks out and should work.  If that doesnt do it, I have no idea what to do. After over 10 years with Directv I finally decided to upgrade my receivers to enjoy 4k on my new large TV I just purchased. Unfortunately, that means I had to commit again to 24 months and nobody at AT&T/Directv seems to care.  Terrible company, terrible service.
Message 8 of 21
Associated Member

I'm a tech with a local company in Wisconsin. And this has been an issue with the 4k boxes for sometime now. If you try and hold the rest button in sometimes when it reboots I starts the download and if the tech connected your internet to system it also can cause a problem with the 4k box. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 21
Tutor

Wait so my ethernet/internet should NOT be connected?  Could that actually be preventing the software update?  Isnt an internet connection required to download the firmware or is that coming directly from the HR54 and the satellite rather than the internet connection?

Message 10 of 21
Tutor

Did some research based on this and found tons of comments saying their 4k worked once they disconnected the internet from their genies and mini genies.  I am trying that now hoping maybe that software update will now go thru and fix the 4k. Unfortunately, with the internet disconnected you cant order any on demand, or start shows from the beginning and several other features. So either choose 4k or those other features? Doesnt seem like a viable solution and this issue has been affecting people for years now and all AT&T ever says is they are working on it....SMH

Message 11 of 21

Yes he showed up on last visit. My original install date was 12/22/18 and was a no show. 1/7 appt tech said couldn’t give equipment because dish wasn’t grounded. They installed the dish 20 years ago and tech said it needed to go on my roof to be grounded! Next appt 1/12 tech grounded dish in place and installed 4K minnies and Genie 2 . I was told he didn’t have the hr5400 and that 4K channels could take up to 24 hours to work. Called them back that I still don’t have the 4K channels and they told me they are coming back to give me what I wanted which was the hr5400 and that 4K was not turned on at our house? The message I get when I go to those channels is not authorized for this location, try again later or call customer service. Which calling customer service is a joke!! Than yesterday’s appt tech installed the hr5400 and said there is nothing wrong on our end there’s no magic switch at the house lol and that it’s a nationwide software issue. I am a retiree of AT&T and have nothing nice to say about the customer service and have NO confidence that this will be resolved any time soon!
Message 12 of 21
Tutor

I am so upset that I didnt see these before upgrading.....I have NEVER seen a company treat their customers worse than this

Message 13 of 21

Please post if the new mini worked. My mini has old software on it and it reflects the newest update failed.
Message 14 of 21
Tutor

Will do! Of course 3 more calls yesterday to find it out the replacement mini never even shipped!....this company is a complete embarrassment!.   Hoping it will ship today and I can receive it in a few days.  At this point, they win....I give up and since they lied and lied to me but locked me in for another 2 years without 4k channels I will begin counting the days until I can kick them out of my house and life forever.

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support