Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4K Receiver Upgrade

Highlighted
Contributor

4K Receiver Upgrade

Today I called DIRECT TV to inquire about adding 4K Service after I was called by a person telling me they were from DIRECT TV asking me if I wanted to upgrade my service, I already have Choice Xtra and pay $150-$160 a month. I was told 4K was free and I could upgrade to it, I said let me think about I so I called back. Needless to say the online rep told me I would need to upgrade my Genie to a 54 and I said ok, But then he hit me in the gut-- It will cost me $350. If you want us to pay your monthly fees, then you need to provide your customers with the equipment necessary to enjoy what we pay our monthly fees for.

Jimmy Miller

Add Services

FREE
To activate, please call
1-866-257-7817
This service allows you to enjoy your favorite entertainment in stunning life-like clarity with a full-time 4K TV channel and 4K On Demand. What else do I need to view?

Message 1 of 36
ACE - Expert

Re: 4K Receiver Upgrade

Unless you have a free upgrade coming then that is correct $299 for the HR54 and $99 for the C61K mini.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 36
ACE - Expert

What are the exact model of boxes you have now? Sometimes there is better way to upgrade, regardless if you have a free one or not. But because you sacrifice some capability for the 4K channels, it is not worth it for some. Just want to make sure you get the best upgrade for you personally.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

There is no charge for 4K service, but depends on your current equipment and upgrade eligibility if equipment is free or not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 36
Contributor

I CURRENTLY HAVE A HR-44-500 GENIE GEN2 IN DEN. A HR-24-700 IN BEDROOM 1 AND A HR-24-500 IN OTHER BEDROOM 2.

Message 4 of 36
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by millerchief
‎03-16-2018 9:05 PM

Ok so you have HR44 and two HR24s. Unless you are adding a 4th TV, I suggest not to upgrade at this time. A 4K upgrade would require replacing an HR24 with a Mini Genie Client which is just an extension of the main Genie. This would mean you lose the 2 tuners and 500GB recording space of an existing HR24. The HR44 would be swapped in that upgrade to the HR54 which means you would lose what had already been recording on both DVRs replaced since recordings cannot be transferred.

In my opinion for a 3 TV home, you have the best setup already. I would wait until there are more than a couple 4K channels and an actual 4K HDDVR (not Client) built before looking into upgrading. The early days of true 4K are a bit limiting, hopefully the boxes catch up so we don't have to sacrifice capability to try it out.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 36
Contributor

How does one qualify for a free upgrade?  I have been a direct customer for a long time but when I called to inquire about the upgrade was told it would cost me $399 (for new main box and the mini) plus $14/month receiver fees.  Not worth it for 3 channels.  Also, any news on when there will be more programming available?

Message 6 of 36
ACE - Expert

@1powerguy

There is no timeline on when more 4K programming will be available. In my opinion 4K is only for those who like to brag being at the front line of the technology curve, dealing with everything that comes with being in the "prototype days".

Traditionally it must be at least 24 months of active service since the last time you did an upgrade, which includes adding another TV, before a free upgrade would be available. The only way you would get $14 is if you were adding 2 more TVs to your service ($7 per each additional TV). I think there was some confusion in the information you were given.

What are the models of each box you have now?

Are you adding any more TVs or just looking at options to upgrade for your existing ones?

Message 7 of 36
Contributor

I have been on the phone the now ATT/DTV people for the last 2 hours.  Trying to upgrade.  Have been with DTV for 23 years and put up with the crap and increases connected with the ATT buyout. Since I added another TV to my account for the grandkids, my account has gone from $135/month to $175/month, without any PPV or HBO or Spots packages. I was trying to get an upgrade to the HS17, that I have not had for 5 yrs at least when I went to -HR-44 Genie whole home. They said I was not eligible until next Aug, because I added a TV last Jan.  They told me they waived 6 months because I was a good customer. BFD in my opinion.  Now looking at DISH.

Message 8 of 36
ACE - Master

@rfvatcher wrote:

I have been on the phone the now ATT/DTV people for the last 2 hours.  Trying to upgrade.  Have been with DTV for 23 years and put up with the crap and increases connected with the ATT buyout. Since I added another TV to my account for the grandkids, my account has gone from $135/month to $175/month, without any PPV or HBO or Spots packages. I was trying to get an upgrade to the HS17, that I have not had for 5 yrs at least when I went to -HR-44 Genie whole home. They said I was not eligible until next Aug, because I added a TV last Jan.  They told me they waived 6 months because I was a good customer. BFD in my opinion.  Now looking at DISH.

adding that tv was an upgrade, and started a new contract

unless you changed packs it should only have added $7.  you need to look at the bill before that addition, and the one after

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 9 of 36
Contributor

I have:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

My problem is the picture freezing for a few seconds to a few minutes and the sound changing to sound like it's underwater or going out all together for 30-60 seconds  Tried all the tricks of refreshing, unplugging this a that, blah, blah, blah.  Woke up to turning on TV and had sound and no picture after several months of having these units, a first.  Apparently there is no software update yet?

Message 10 of 36
Tutor

Are you getting error codes on your tv ?

Is so what is the # ?

EXT 775 ?? For example 

Message 11 of 36
Contributor

In reading this- it sounds like it will do me no good to change receivers for the new 4K TV I just purchased?  Is that correct?  How will the picture be any better if the receiver is using the 1080 verses whatever the new thing is?

Message 12 of 36
Contributor

If this is in regards to what happened 2 months ago when they sent me 2 new
receivers exactly like the the old ones, instead of an upgrade, your
response is a little late./ Very poor service from AT&T since takeover.

I have a GENIE as you know and a JVC 65" 4K TV. Cannot get 4K onit.

Been with you 23 years and this is what I get. Very sad.

Russ V[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 13 of 36
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎11-28-2018 2:21 PM

@cds28025 wrote:

In reading this- it sounds like it will do me no good to change receivers for the new 4K TV I just purchased?  Is that correct?  How will the picture be any better if the receiver is using the 1080 verses whatever the new thing is?

Having a 4K TV does not make non-4K service look better. However DirecTV does have a couple 4K channels that you get if you have a 4K TV as well as a DirecTV setup that can handle the 4K broadcasts. I posted earlier in the thread, but to make it easy here is what you need if you want 4K service. Though if you would post the models of boxes you currently have, then a more specific suggestion could be made.

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 36
Tutor

4K TV’s will upconvert any signal to a quasi 4K so you will still get a better picture on your 4K tv vs. and older HD TV
Message 15 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support