Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4K Genie Mini vs Genie 2, are both required?

Highlighted
Contributor

4K Genie Mini vs Genie 2, are both required?

Upgraded to the Genie2 with the Genie Mini.  Found out that my internet service is to slow.  Disconnected the Genie 2 and everything work OK, except for a message to connect to the internet or a station would go blank.  Turn the TV off and on - worked fine.  Only have one TV, do not rent movies and do not record shows.  I find watching something once is enough for me and I can wait for the movie to go free. 

Mistake, decide to hook the Genie 2 back up and back to have the same problems that I had before when the Genie 2 was wired, now I'm wireless - same problem - the internet is to slow.

Why do I need the Genie 2?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: 4K Genie Mini vs Genie 2, are both required?

Genies (No matter the model) are the server for the minis, the minis won't work without the genie. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

You don't unless you want 4K then you need a C61K mini as that is the only DTV receiver that can output 4K over HDMI.  You can use an H25 receiver provided you don't need On Demand or start from the beginning as it can't be connected to the internet. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
Contributor

Then it would be best for me to return both to direct TV and go back to a primary receiver.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support