Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4K Direct TV Nonsense

Contributor

4K Direct TV Nonsense

I just got off the phone with DirectTV and they informed me that it would cost $119 to get my boxes upgraded to support 4K. The service was installed a year ago on 4K TVs, so I’m rather shocked that they didn’t install 4K capable boxes from the outset. I guess I needed to specifically ask for that.  After a runaround, they told be that I could avoid the fee by subscribing to their “Protection Plan”, which appears to just be a promise to offer the basic level of customer support for $8.99/month. The icing on the cake is that I was told they can only support 4K through the mini satellite boxes and not the main box. They never built a 4K capable main box? Is anyone else finding that getting 4K DirectTV is this crazy and backwards from a customer service standpoint?

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: 4K Direct TV Nonsense

The 4K standards where changed to require HDMI 2.0 ports and the HR54 was to far into production to change it so DTV had to come up with the C61K mini, the HR54 was the last DVR made that connected to a TV and is the only HR that can get the 4K channels.  DTV is now installing their HS17 tower Genie2 that doesn't connect to any TV.

Since it has been a year since install you should be near getting a free upgrade then call and ask for a 4K upgrade.  All that the protection plan does is cover the cost of shipping replacement receivers and any service calls and free remotes, without it shipping is $20 service calls are $99 with a 90 day warranty.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎10-24-2019 12:59 PM

Re: 4K Direct TV Nonsense

@Kc4imr 

Access to 4K is not a default setup, but requires specific equipment. As such, you must have requested a 4K install from the onset. If you have passed the 1st year mark, then within the coming months you should become eligible for a free upgrade where there is no cost on the equipment itself, but might either charge delivery ($19.95) or service call ($99).

The 3rd generation Genie (HR54) was originally intended to be a full 4K receiver, but too far into production the requirements changed and it was quicker, easier, and cheaper to come out with an updated Mini Genie Client (C61K) instead of scrapping the motherboards of all their HR54s. The newest equipment, the Genie-2 (HS17), is a server tower that doesn't connect to a TV and only allows Clients so appears they might be trying to move away from the traditional full receiver on each TV option. I keep hoping that one day a full 4K receiver will be made and possibly even work with the Genie-2 (HS17), especially since they are in the process of shutting down the old MPEG-2 (SD only feeds) where many people are needing new equipment, but as time goes on it becomes less likely as no such info has come out from DirecTV on this.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS.

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Since there is limited 4K content, and Clients take capability away from the main Genie as they cannot work by themselves, it is suggested to have a full HDDVR instead of a Client. With a HDDVR you get 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and can work even if ever the Genie doesn't. Since there is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR (or even HD non-DVR) as you are paying for the authorized TV regardless of what kind of box, I personally find the full receiver much more beneficial than a Client.

The equipment protection plan is optional and only a benefit for those that have trouble budgeting for future. Without it service calls are $99, delivery $19.95, and remotes are $15. At $8.99 that comes to $107.88 for a full year. So it is a nice option for those that find it easier to budget a set small amount every month, even if over time they pay more in the long run (had one friend who had to do this as was horrible about reserve funds for future possibilities). Even without the protection plan you can qualify for a free upgrade as I have personally experienced (sometimes may have to pay just delivery but that is a small one-time cost).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support