Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why has the DIRECTV service gotten worse since the merge with AT&T?

Contributor

Why has the DIRECTV service gotten worse since the merge with AT&T?

I'm really upset with the change in our Directv service since AT&T has been involved. We constantly lose connection with the internet, having to reset all equipment, several times a day. Not to mention our bill has increased! I'm considering changing services after our contract runs out. This is ridiculous! I loved Directv before AT&T was involved. My internet works fine with all my other devices in the house. So I know it's my Directv service at fault. BOO!

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: Why has the DIRECTV service gotten worse since the merge with AT&T?

If ATT is your ISP then contact them DTV is not an ISP.

If you will provide more info we will try to help you.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Contributor

Dear miscyn57,

I'm very disappointed in At&t,  DirecTV referred me to at&, when I needed to create a new Password for MY DIRECTV NOT AT&T PASSWORD, DIRECTV PASSWORD.  Anyway I think I just need to call call DirecTV.  I will ask them to e-mail me a code, so I can create my new Password.  DirecTV are very nice when you talk to them and explain to them about all the trouble I have been through just reset my Password.  AT&T are very nice to talk to also.

Message 3 of 18
Scholar

I agee! The tech support on chat or calling in is just horrible!!! They act like they don't care, they listen but don't offer a solution. I'm just about ready to cancel & go with Comcast. ATT is getting bad too. I have issues with both providers, they are playing the blame game with each other. I've contacted both by phone & chat, both act like they don't care. I'm giving both one more chance, it i have issues. I have others i can contact for support.

Message 4 of 18
Tutor

since the merger, it is really hard to get to the directtv site. you pretty much have to change or reset 3 passwords and user ids.....

Message 5 of 18
Contributor

I have been a big fan of Directv-until the last year. Performance has deteriorated substantially. Has anyone else noticed that live sports events on NBC have terrible signal. I never have a problem with anything else on NBC.
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

If you have a problem on NBC but only on live sports then the problem is at your local NBC station, nothing to do with DirecTV. DirecTV just transmits what the station sends.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18
Contributor

Since the merge our service has been terrible!!! We have contacted service,and after spending hours writing down all the transponder values an relaying them over the phone. A technition was dispatched who changed out part of the satellite equipment. The system did the same thing. Snowy, pixels breaking up as if there was a bad storm and then freezing. (No storm). We then called again and was told it was a system wide issue and a fix was in the works. Still waiting!!! We are fed with this and are ready to switch to cable regardless of the cost!

Message 8 of 18
Contributor

I have noticed the exact same problems since the merger.  I am not one to complain for the sake of complaining, but there has been a problem with my overall picture in recent months.  Some channels look worse than others, but the NBC sunday night football is one of the worst.  I can remember when I thought it was one of the best looking broadcasts.  Not sure what the problem is either.  I did upgrade to the new genie receivers (HR44-500), but I am not sure if it is a hardware problem or a directv problem.  The overall picture on most channels just doesn't look as sharp as it used to be.  It almost looks better streaming the channel on my roku than using my receiver, which shouldn't be the case at all.  The only answer I have been given by technical support is that they are working on a system update to install, but I haven't heard any news as to when it will be released.

Message 9 of 18
Scholar

Why?   When they merged directv's saleries were cut.  I was talking to an installer.  Before the takeover they made good money.  The day of the takeover their pay was reduced buy almost 50%.

Message 10 of 18
Contributor

AT&T updated the DirecTV receiver software, which subsequently made the connection to the internet from the receiver unreliable.  This is entirely due to the update provided by AT&T, and not the ISP.

Just to clarify.

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Expert

"ATT people" are not involved in the updates. The update is developed and tested by the same DirecTV technical team that did this before the acquisition.

Message 12 of 18
Mentor

The actual service provided from Directv has not changed with buy out to ATT. Is your directv connected to your internet with a wireless device? The reason I ask is wireless is never as reliable as a wired connection. Enviromental issue come in to play. If you go in the same room as your Genie(or the wireless device directv installed), is your other wireless devices functioning as they should? I will always say I can never troubleshoot 100% without being in your home but the basics still count. IS your Genie(or other wireless connection device) near any other electronic devices(like a battery charger, a sound systemn, or behind your tv?) If you go to Menu, Setting, then the top option then tab right and click more info....scrol down just a few lines you will see all the wifi/network info it will actually say wireless with a set of numbers.....or it will at say coax/network...if it says wireless connected and you have those issue you may need to call and have a bradband deca installed at your router. This may require a wall drop which may cost $50 if it is something the technician has to install as a new line. Even with the protection plan. The on demmand features is still considered as a bells and whistels part of the service and not an additional cost to you as a customer.

Message 13 of 18
Contributor

I hate customer service since ATT. They no understand English nor can they talk English. They read scripts. They are rude. Now this past week the call and say my first name and hang up. BRING CUSTOMER SERVICE BACK TO THE USA. You are trying save a buck but you will lose customers since you move it 2 months ago. I can not talk to anyone in US and if I request they hang up. WAKE UP ATT ABOUT DIRECT TV. LOYAL CUSTOMERS WILL LEAVE. I Hate Direct TV now. The most ignorant foreigners I have ever talk to you. They need classes in customer service training and English classes
Message 14 of 18
ACE - Expert

@stufe1, really?!?  Your written English leaves something to be desired, too.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support