Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NBA League Pass - Only paying for one team

Tutor

NBA League Pass - Only paying for one team

Hi,

The NBA League Pass allows you to only buy the pass for one team instead of the entire league, but DirecTv didn't offer it last year.

Will DirecTv give us the option of only buying the League Pass for on team this year?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
ACE - Expert

Re: NBA League Pass - Only paying for one team

The NBA League Pass, like other professional sports subscriptions (MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, MLS Direct Kick) are for the out of market games only. The various leagues like NBA do not allow a single team only subscription.

You get your in market professional and college teams on your locals or regional sports network (RSN) or you pay for the seasonal subscription for all the other professional teams.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19
Tutor

Wrong.  See below.  If I buy the NBA League Pass online, I can choose a "Team Package" and only pay to watch one team's game for the season.  I do not have to pay for the whole league.

When is DTV going to offer the same option to its customers?

----------------------------

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/06/16/league-pass-to-include-single-game-and-team-offerings/

NBA LEAGUE PASS, the out-of-market live game service, will tip off the 2015-16 NBA season by providing fans with the opportunity to purchase single games and individual team packages.

The single game offering will allow fans to select individual NBA LEAGUE PASS live games on a given day during the regular season. The individual team package, available for all 30 NBA teams, will give fans the option to follow one team through the regular season.

Message 3 of 19
ACE - Expert

The info I gave was correct as what the NBA allows Directv for the NBA League pass. I was not referring to you trying to get the games elsewhere. So Directv has never had a team package. It would be nice if they do in the future, but no information for a team package with Directv at this time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19
Tutor

Thank you.  I was not under the impression the NBA prohibited providers from offering this feature.  I will check with them to verify.

Message 5 of 19
ACE - Expert

No problem. A team only option being offered directly from the NBA, which does sound nice, I suspect it may have a couple limitations. Like online only and limiting how many devices may access it at the same time (or just 1 allowed). With Directv you get access to all TVs on the account and online/mobile access as well (online/mobile subject to blackout rules based on where you are physically accessing it from, not your account service address).

Since tv providers like Directv give seasonal sports subscriptions to the account, it was probably easier to negotiate for a 'whole' package as opposed to be team only, maybe so teams got more of an equal share of the profits, but this is just my guess for a possible reason why it is.

Since that link was showing it was only offered recently, Directv may not have a chance for it until the next time they renogtiate with the NBA. With all the new online options I am betting updates will come around when they renegotiate. But definately call Directv (1-800-531-5000) for more info. 

Message 6 of 19
Tutor

I already called DTV last night and nobody could answer the question since League Pass isn't available yet.

I did just call the NBA League Pass, and they said DTV will have the "Team Pass" option available this year staring on October 25th.

We'll see.

Message 7 of 19
ACE - Expert

That is great to hear. That is a big change to make people happy. Perhaps the other leagues (NFL, MLB, etc.) will soon follow suit.

Enjoy!

Message 8 of 19
Expert

@Juniper you are incorrect.  According to the court ruling, DIRECTV MUST provide the single team option.

Message 9 of 19
Expert

@jmbtexas4 you are spot on!

Message 10 of 19
ACE - Expert

@peds48

A little late to the discussion as I have allready learned about the team only option as the previous posts show. Everything I said has been the running option for several years, so Team Only for Directv is new and expected to be available with the upcomming season.

Message 11 of 19
Expert

A little late to the discussion

@Juniper late or not, you gave out wrong information. Since no one else chimed in, I wnated to make sure the OP knew he was spot on!

Message 12 of 19
Contributor

I haven't been able to begin my League Pass - is this because it only starts during the regular season, or because there is some kind of dispute?

The website says they are "working hard to provide this by the beginning of the regular season" - and nobody can answer what is going on over the phone (I've tried several times).

Does anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 19
Expert

don’t knwo what the deal is, but for reference, NHL CI was available for purchase a day before the season started, so there are still 7b more days before the season actually starts.

Message 14 of 19

Any updates for the 2017/2018 season? Will DTV offer the NBA Team Pass?

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support