Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I hate Directv..!!! how can I leave without paying an arm & a leg...? this is crazy!

Contributor

I hate Directv..!!! how can I leave without paying an arm & a leg...? this is crazy!

I am at my wits end withDIRECTV...!!!! I was a loyal customer to DISH for over 20 yrs but because of where I live, satalites always go out when you need them the most (tornado weather & storms) so I finally made the switch to AT&T Uverse and I loved it but they kept on raising my rates. So I went in to re-assess my billing and see if I could cut it down some. Appearantly this was shortly after AT&T aquired DIRECTV. They were running a promoting and even without the promoting it was going to be a littler cheaper than the Uverse. I kept on telling them I really didn't want to go back to satalite because of the weather and loosing service when I needed it the most but they convinced me that DIRECTV was much better now and that surely wouldn't happen.....blah blah, blah!! Well this all took place in Feburary of this year, I called AT&T in April and told them how unsatified I was with DIRECTV, I hate that it still goes out with the first rain drops, and I just generally hate it all together! I thought maybe it was because I just wasn't use to their setup etc. but as every day passes I hated it even more. I have 4 setups in my house and the other day I decided to change my house around and wanted to move one tv to another room and I was under the impression I could move these around to any where in my house...well you guessed it, NOT!!! I call them and now they want another $50 to come out and move this little black box 6 ft across the hall...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! I said forget it and deactivate that one, that will bring my bill down some.

You know I have had AT&T for over 20 yrs now and this is the first time that I have been so dissapointed in their services. I never hated a service so bad as I hate DIRECTV and now I am stuck for 2 yrs with this!!!

Thank you for letting me vent and if anyone had a good suggestion on how to get rid of DIRECTV without having to pay out the nose please let me know, I would even pay a little extra to go back to Uverse then to stay with this crap!!!!

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: I hate Directv..!!! how can I leave without paying an arm & a leg...? this is crazy!

If you want portable or movable you need the C41W mini but it needs a wired WVB and a Genie  to work. To avoid the ETF you need to wait until the contract expires or comes down enough.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Scholar

Re: I hate Directv..!!! how can I leave without paying an arm & a leg...? this is crazy!

Some how you don't understand DirecTV.  It is the "GOLD Standard" of Satellite TV.

Message 3 of 18
Expert

If you want to move your box, you can perhaps buy some coax to extend your existing cable.  If is only 6 feet, should be pretty easy 

Message 4 of 18
Contributor

Your story sounds exactly like mine except that I've had the AT&T U-verse for 4 years and I loved the universe tv, except the price kept going up and since I'm on Social Security I could no longer afford it without reducing my service idown to the minimum. So finally a Salesman convinced me to get DirecTV because AT&T was going to do away with U-verse now that AT&T purchased Direct TV . It was going to save me about $27 on my bill every month except it's not. it's been an awful nightmare since I first signed a contract . I've had nothing but issues with the billing, with customer service, with the size of the print on the guides, with every little issue therefore "i hate DirecTV ". I cannot wait untill this contract is over. I will have it taken out of my house and I will " tell everyone I meet not to be fooled by DirecTV and I will go to strictly streaming services . I just called to make sure that I wasn't going to be charged for the internet equipment that I had to keep. My modem needed to still stay in the house because I'm still connected to AT&T internet which my DirecTV also needs so that I can use the wireless Genie because I don't have all the installation of all the wires in my home. Some guy with a heavy accent kept trying to sell me more service upgrade my internet free phone service better deals combine my bills I kept telling him no no no just leave it as it is I don't care if I'm paying more right now I don't want it to change at all I couldn't make that  both Don and Joseph understand that I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being charged for the modem.

Message 5 of 18
Contributor

Your story sounds exactly like mine except that I've had the AT&T U-verse for 4 years and I loved the universe tv, except the price kept going up and since I'm on Social Security I could no longer afford it without reducing my service idown to the minimum. So finally a Salesman convinced me to get DirecTV because AT&T was going to do away with U-verse now that AT&T purchased Direct TV . It was going to save me about $27 on my bill every month except it's not. it's been an awful nightmare since I first signed a contract . I've had nothing but issues with the billing, with customer service, with the size of the print on the guides, with every little issue therefore "i hate DirecTV ". I cannot wait untill this contract is over. I will have it taken out of my house and I will " tell everyone I meet not to be fooled by DirecTV and I will go to strictly streaming services . I just called to make sure that I wasn't going to be charged for the internet equipment that I had to keep. My modem needed to still stay in the house because I'm still connected to AT&T internet which my DirecTV also needs so that I can use the wireless Genie because I don't have all the installation of all the wires in my home. Some guy with a heavy accent kept trying to sell me more service upgrade my internet free phone service better deals combine my bills I kept telling him no no no just leave it as it is I don't care if I'm paying more right now I don't want it to change at all I couldn't make that both Don and Joseph understand that I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being charged for the modem.
Message 6 of 18
Contributor

Direct tv is like Atl traffic its C.R.A.P no matter what the weather is

Message 7 of 18
Mentor

First off Directv was purchased by ATT. The sales agents didn't know the differences between our systems and the legacy system's that ATT was use to dealing with. I would love to be the technician that will tell you flat out what can and can't be done, but with out being in your home and seeing with my own eyes, running a wifi analyzer, seeing what kind of construction materials your home is built from and actually seeing the distances between the Wireless Video Bridge(Directv Router)  and where you want to put the wireless receiver....I can't even begin to tell you how to fix the issue. However, some basic steps. 1) plug the Directv wireless receiver in the new location to power...nothing else. Make sure there are no other electronics with in 2 feet(initial start up). if you get a green light, move the box to where where you want it located and if it turns yellow or red please reconsider the location. The wireless connection between the bridge and your client falls into the exact same rules as your wifi router for your internet. Yes they are not related but use the same technology. Certain building materials, such as bricks block the signal more than a window. basic rule is...The denser the material the harder it is to get a good solid signal through it. The installer should have asked you were else would you want to put this device and checked it with the Directv provided WiFi Analyzer to make sure the signal strength was strong enough to provide you continuous service in that location.

I am truely soury you have had to put up with the lack of a good service technician in your are. You pay the bill you deserve better results than this. There is a solution to your needs, I just can't give it to you with out being there. Sorry.

But maybe some of this will help you. 

Message 8 of 18

I am so sorry and feel for you.  I live where I cannot get cable and I hate having satellite.  Many years ago, we had DISH and every single time it rained or snowed, we had no service.  Talk about frustrating....you are stuck home in a blizzard so you want to cozy down and watch a movie, oh yeah, but the satellite just was "searching for service."  DISH would not correct the problem.  Eventually, we gave up and went to Direct TV and did not have that problem for a long time.  When we did, we had to upgrade all the equipment and now things are great.  The problem is that they want you to pay an additional $7.99 to insure your equipment and then you are forced into it for another 24 months.  NO WAY will I do that, so I am stuck and will have to eventually get rid of Direct TV and go without television for six months as I have done in the past and either re-sign up with them or DISH.  I so want to just live where I can get Cable TV, and I hope things will be simpler.  BTW, I only watch the local news station and occasionally CNN.  Other than that, I watch movies only on Amazon Prime, etc.  My husband feels the need for this thing, so it's quite frustrating and expensive for me.  WAHHHHH!

Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

@Sylvester123, the $7.99/mo Equipment Protection Plan is optional.  You're not required to have.  Of course, if you don't have it then you'll need to pay $50 for a home service visit, if you ever need one.  And there's no contract extension if you subscribe to the Equipment Protection Plan.  Note that Dish Network charges nearly twice as much for a home service visit.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 18

If you really want to get out of your contract, keep calling and asking them. Another suggestion is that all companies HATE negative publicity on social media.

I live in the boonies and have ONE option for high-speed internet...ONE and only ONE.  It was not working well, and it got slower and slower.  I checked everywhere for internet and couldn't find anything except dial-up.  I was ready to sell the house and move.  One day when I was very frustrated, I saw that the internet company had posted something on Facebook about some new big thing they were involved with (which actually had nothing to do with internet).  Being childish, I put a post on asking if it would increase the speed of internet service.  It got someone's attention!  I now have internet service that is better than ever.  I had been calling their technical support team for about two years!  Without the negative post on Facebook, I would probably not even have internet service to this day.  So, you may want to use that outlet.  I see no reason why they would not let you out of the contract early.

Message 11 of 18

Thank you for this info, but I was told that you have to have your Protection Plan for 24 months in order to get any upgraded equipment.  I guess I assumed it was like being in a contract.  Maybe I am wrong...but maybe you can explain it to me better than the three people I talked with from Direct TV.  I have a new television that I cannot hook up and I also want to install an additional television.  I called to have a service rep. come.  I am willing to pay for the services but basically gave up on getting help from Direct TV with this. I couldn't understand two of the people very well due to a language barrier.  Any suggestions as to how I can get this work done? 

Message 12 of 18
ACE - Expert

@Sylvester123, whoever told you that is wrong.  Being eligable for equipment upgrades depends on how long you've been a customer, not whether you have the Equipment Protection Plan.  Adding more DVR/Receivers to your account is something you can do online from your DirecTV account.  They'll schedule an installation tech to come do the work.  

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted

I have been their customer for about 8 years, maybe more.  I called today (three times) and just want to have a new television I have hooked up.  I guess I was asking too much, but I did not get a technician to come here.  The first guy had me all hooked up with upgraded this and that and then started saying I would pay X amount per month for this and X amount for that, and then the $7.99 would be in effect but that I had to have it for two years.  When I called back to have someone help me get into my account, that person (I could understand) helped me with the IT problem, but then said that I had to have the $7.99 deal for two years before I could get any upgraded equipment.  I need help now.  It's all just very frustrating.  I sent you a e-mail.  When you get a chance, maybe you could respond and give me some suggestions.  I will pay the $7.99 a month if my husband agrees to downgrade the package we have.  Thanks for your comments...I appreciate the help.  Maybe you should work for Direct TV!

Message 14 of 18
ACE - Expert

I saw your email and responded.  Best to keep all of our responses here so that others can benefit from your answers.  

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support