Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv NEW Regional Sports Fee

Contributor

Just learned of the new "tax" that Directv is charging to provide sports programming if you watch it or not.  Seems ridiculously high at $7.28 which is about a 9-10% increase on programming.  Has me rethinking as DISH not charging this.

What is really bothersome is that the "regional" charge isn't really regional.  In my zip 85254 it is $7.28.  Just a few miles away in zip 85250 it is $2.47!  What the ??? All the programming is exactly the same.  I don't get anything my brother's home doesn't get.

Here is the Directv website.  Put in your zip and those around you and see if you have the same unfair disadvantage.  http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/rsn_fee

Probably time to move away from AT&T/Directv.  Too bad, it used to be a great service....

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Directv NEW Regional Sports Fee

This is not new and dish charges for it as do all providers what they call it I don't know. You need to change to a package that doesn't have sports to not pay it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

Regional Sports Fee in costs has been around a long time with all providers.

With Directv it used be included in the cost of the package. A couple years ago they had to itemize it seperately as each sports region was charging differently. The Regional Sports Networks are not the same country wide, depends where the sports teams have their region lines drawn. Yes it is based on your zip code as to what RSNs and RSN fee you get. H

I checked the regional sports lookup tool on the website and shows for both zip codes you mentioned (85250 and 85254) that one RSN is available which is FS Arizona. Both list the same 3 teams AZ Coyotes AZ Diamondbacks, and Pheonix Suns. This says to me the website tools haven't been fully updated with the changes. Possibly one zip code updated, the other not, or there are other RSNs that should be listed. Otherwise with the exact same RSN options, I would expect the cost to be the same between both zip codes (unless the Arizona teams are dividing their market into multiple price markets for whatever reason). I would reccomend to send a private message to @ATTDIRECTVCare or to call Directv 1-800-531-5000 to verify the RSN fee cost and what RSNs you get. That higher RSN fee at over $7 I don't believe is correct as that would be something like New York with RSNs like YES and MSG.

Now since you get the RSN fee in packages Choice or above (unless you live in a region that has no RSNs at all), there is a new option. They have an alternative package Preferred Xtra, which is at a similar level of their normal Xtra package. The difference is that Preferred Xtra removes all sports only channels, except ESPN and ESPN2, while adding a few channels from the Ultimate level. It is a couple dollars cheaper than Xtra, and since it removes the RSNs it gets rid of the RSN fee as well. A great option for people who watch little or no sports such as my household. I wish the Preferred Xtra package was around when I started with Directv, but they have always focused on being a leader in sports availability. Glad it is available now as cheaper than Xtra, and even minimal price difference from Choice with an RSN fee, so it feels like it hits the sweet spot at that level.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Contributor

I live in Georgia and my regional spoorts fee just went from 3.63 to 7.92 in Feb.  I only get one channel in zip 31064 and that is Fox Sports South.  Paying almost 8.00 for one channel is absurd.  The crazy thing according to their site it is included in the choice package, with a green check mark, for my area, so why am I being charged for it.  When I called says can not just cancel the one chnnel as prt of choive package.  Then I asked why my guaranteed 24 month price for choice is going up.  Then told not actually part of choice, but have to get it if I have choice package.  It is listed seperately as a line item on the bill, 1Choice Package

2 HD Extra Package

3 Regional Sports P

They say only solution is drop down to Entertainment pack and then I loose SEC Net and 2 of the ESPN channels.  On their website it says regional sports fees may apply in certain areas, but no where does it say that regional sports net is required.  they must be  getting a heck of a kick back from Fox Sports to require you to have it and not be able to cancel that one channel.  Bunch of deceitful lying people.

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Master

dish charges this also

as well as $10 for locals

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Funny...all the responses saying not new. My Package price did not go down
when this charge became a separate line item. I have been a customer for
at least 3 years and it was never there until last month. I can look at
all my statements online (as anyone can) and see that.

Plus your CSRs are telling people it is a new charge. $7.29 on a $90
package is an 8% increase in cost. If as you say it was removed and became
its own line item, then the package would be $82 now. NOT TRUE...still $90.

The callous response I got from Shannon clearly shows how important AT&T
considers some of us. Yes Shannon getting a package without Sports is
EXACTLY the right suggestion - given its one of the primary reasons I have
Directv. Otherwise, I can got to AppleTV, NetFlix HULU and others for
programming. Guess its time to look at the other service providers. Thank
you, thank you so much for making my decisions so easy.

shannon02 (ACE - Master) posted a new reply in DIRECTV Community Suggestions

on 02-17-2017 7:57 PM :
------------------------------

This is not new and dish charges for it as do all providers what they call
it I don't know. You need to change to a package that doesn't have sports
to not pay it.
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

@DLARAZ

@shannon02 and most of us that contribute here are not DirecTV employees.  Just fellow customers trying to help one another.  

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

@DLARAZ

Correct, fee is not new. Reason why your bill didn't go down is it is not just each region charging differently, but essentially they all went up in cost. Cost of many different networks goes up and this affects the package cost as was as RSN fees. One of the reasons I don't watch sports as it has always been an expensive hobby and becomming more so (also I can't watch other people play the game when I would rather play the game myself).

Personally I find it more transparent to see what you are paying for your local professional sports teams. Pro players got to eat.

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

I don't mind such a small fee, given how many sports channels we have that many providers don't offer, especially multiple court coverage during tennis grand slams. We spent a miserable couple years with Time Warner when we couldn't get a Directv signal; those robbers charged us $600/month (without the sports channels we love, let alone Sunday Ticket, etc. or any movie channels). Finally, a special technician found a signal for us, and we happily returned to Directv, which is still a sports fan's paradise.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support