Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Any way to opt out of all the ATT promotional mailers?

Contributor

Any way to opt out of all the ATT promotional mailers?

Just because Direct TV sold out to AT&T, I have no intention doing any further business with AT&T. I have been receiving at least 3 pieces of junk mail per week with offers for AT&T cell phones and internet service. The phone numbers & web links only connect you to sign up for services. Is there any way to opt out of this junk mail? It is filling up my shredder!

sign me, No love for AT&T

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Any way to opt out of all the ATT promotional mailers?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Unfortunately, this is only good for credit card and insurance offers. I just want to get AT&T out of my mailbox.

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

You didn't go down far enough there is a link to file a form to the Direct Marketing Association (DMA) for promotional mail.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8

Switch to electronic billing. I have electronic billing and I don't get the AT&T junk mail.

I thought about switching but they're still WAY too expensive compared to T-Mobile.  Oh, all of my phones are unlocked AT&T phones so the switch would be easy, if the price were right.

My $100 four line unlimted plan would be over $200 on AT&T.

Message 5 of 8

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

This article is a good start with "junk mail" removal.
However, this does NOT stop AT&T/DirectTV, current resident, past resident mail

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

This is what I personally do:
1. I sign up for DMA - every 3 to 5 years (or when I start receiving mail from 5+ unwanted companies)
2. I DO NOT turn in a "change of address" with USPS. I submit a "temporary change of address" - good for 6 months (can renew for another 6 months)
3. Prescreened opt out now has permanent option.
4. "Current resident" mail I call the company and add myself to their mailing list - then remove myself after receiving mail in my name.

I'm researching the following articles next - maybe they will help.

http://about.att.com/sites/privacy_policy/rights_choices

http://about.att.com/sites/privacy_policy/terms#controls

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Note that their Junk Mail is getting worse. We recently got an email entitled "Catherine, here's what you need to know about your newest device and plan." 

We'd not signed up for a new device or plan so we were a bit concerned that someone else did using our information. Inside the email it said,"Catherine, thanks for choosing AT&T. We hope you're enjoying your new device."

So we called them. It simply was a way to get us on the line to talk about their latest offer.

Somehow I think that crosses the line.

How do you opt out of junk like that, and yet still receive legit emails when someone DOES hack your account and add a phone?

Message 7 of 8
Contributor

OK, well that sort of email wasn't as much junk mail as it seemed. Somehow AT&T updated their records (specifically regarding an IMEI number for one of the phones on our plan) which triggered the 'new device' email to go out. That's a bit different than just a mass mailing. Sorry to throw up an alarm. I do wish I wouldn't get promotional mailers from them, but I can put a normal spam filter on that sort of email.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support