Helpful Links

stream videos from websites online?

Tutor

stream videos from websites online?

Looking to buy a new tv. Should I invest in a smart tv or can I go to individual websites and watch videos through my tv with the whole home dvr? I see there are different apps but I don't really understand how it works since I don't have internet hooked up to it yet until I get my new tv.

Example: I want to go to www.logotv.com to watch old episodes of RuPaul's drag race? Do I have the capabilities to do this when I hook up my internet or do I need another device that will actually get me to the internet and different websites?

I apologize if this question has already been asked but I didn't see it on here.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
Employee

Re: stream videos from websites online?

DirecTV is not involved in this.  the Chromecast is probably the best option for you

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

I think you misunderstood or I'm misunderstanding your response- Direct Tv is connected to the internet to allow the use of the built in apps and other apps I can download on my boxes so I'm asking if I can only use those apps or if I can actually go to a website via the internet connection I have with my boxes?

Message 3 of 13
ACE - Expert

No, you can't go to individual web sites, the DVR does not have a web browser.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
Employee

The DirecTV is a "closed" system.  you cannot download your own apps.  and as texasbrit mentioned, none of the DirecTV receivers have Internet browsers built in.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 13
Tutor

Thanks peds- I did not understand your first reply. My apologies.

Message 6 of 13
Tutor

Thanks

Message 7 of 13
Expert

I recently installed a new 60" Sony TV and it has both a web browser and a number of Apps built in.  It requires a separate connection to the router/Internet and it does not involve my Directv equipment in any way.  Lot's of new TV's have these goodies, so I'd educate myself online before buying.

Message 8 of 13
Employee

Awesome,  no problem.  You are very welcome
Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 13
Tutor

Thankd dcd- I'm looking into tv with a built in web browser now. It's deceiving because even if it's a smart tv doesnt mean it can go on the web.

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

Yes, and some of the TV web browsers are really clunky and hard to use. Suggest you google for reviews before getting anything.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 13
Employee

As I said, take a look at the Chromecast.  this is what you are looking for
Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 13
Tutor

The only company I have found so far is Samsung but I've just started looking. By chance, do you know if a smart tv without a web browser basically has the same capabilities as the internet conncected dish network box? If I'm understanding correctly both will allow access to the internet to download and use certain apps only? If that's the case than I don't think I need a smart tv if I can do the same things with my dish box. I can get a regular tv and purchase an add on web browser if I want to surf online.  There's so much to research with things like this.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support