Helpful Links

Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

Scholar

Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

I reformatted my pc, and now have Windows 7, with Windows Media Player 12. When I had Windows XP, in the extras  had the Media Share, but now, I can't seem to have Media Sharing, at least it doesn't show up in the extras. I'm hoping someone will help me get this to work again. Please Help!!!

Message 1 of 15
Expert

Re: Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

In Windows 7 check in installed updates for KB 2585542.  If you locate it remove it and hide it so it won't come up again.  Open Windows Media Player and under the streaming header put a check on all three options then under more streaming options your DVR and other servers should be visible and you'll need to share those. The DVR is possibly still "looking" for your old operating system so if you disable your firewall temporarily and with the computer running do a red button (inside card door) reset of your DVR the music option should show up.

Message 2 of 15
Scholar

dcd, you the man. I was just not getting why, things weren't working, but doing those things fixed them all. Thanks a bunch!

Message 3 of 15
Expert

Hehheheheh, the man huh?  Nice of you to say so, and happy to be of help.  Glad you got it up and running.

Message 4 of 15
Mentor

Im having the same problem except I have Vista not Win7.Only way I can get media share to work is to disable my ESET nod32 firewall while I am using media share.As soon as I enable the firewall I lose the data packets

Message 5 of 15
Expert

Open the firewall and list the HD DVR as an acceptable application.  There isn't anything you can do from Directv's perspective to make your firewall cooperate.  Normally temporarily disabling the firewall, resetting the HD DVR then reenabling the firewall (with Media Share running) will tell the firewall to accept it.

Message 6 of 15
Scholar

lowessnipe, what version of NOD32? I have version 5, and what I did was go into the Advanced setup, and in the ID and advanced setup in the Firewall settings, I unchecked the Package Inspection group and I don't have any problem. I tried checking each one at a time but it still not allow it, but when I unchecked the group it works great. Try that and see how it works for you.

Message 7 of 15
Mentor

I have version5 also.will try what you suggested and let you know.thanks

Message 8 of 15
Mentor

well unchecking every thing in the packet inspection group didnt work.only way i can ever get it to work is to disable the firewall altogether while using media share.as soon as i re enable the firewall I get the message unable to retrieve audio/video data packets.Funny never had a problem when using cOMODO firewall(free version)just started when I installed NOD32

Message 9 of 15
Scholar

I should have also said that I have all the others sections checked as well. Just that one unchecked. Maybe you should tell me what you are running, so, I can help you fix this. Cool

Message 10 of 15
Mentor

if i totally disable the firewall and leave it off,then reboot hddvr I can use media share,but if I re enable the firewall while using media share,it will then give me a message saying unable to retrieve audio/video data packets

Message 11 of 15
Expert

I guess I'd use a different firewall program as the one you're running seems to not wanting to cooperate.  I have Comcast as a ISP and they furnish Norton which is very easy to configure.  Doesn't your ISP provide a security suite?

Message 12 of 15
Mentor

Ive got AT&T not sure if they do or not but i paid $55 for 2 year subscript for ESET.Im gonna get my moneys worth.Ill survive without the media share.sound quality's not that good through it anyway.compared to burning that same file to a cd and playing it on the same sound system.

Message 13 of 15
Expert

Your choice but a MP3 file stored on your computer and played via Media Share is equal or superior to CD playback, at least as far as my ears can discern.

Message 14 of 15
Mentor

not here on my system.playing the same file thru media share has a flat sound,i burn the same song to a dvd or cd and get a clearer sound,

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support