Will Directv work with satellite internet?

Tutor

Will Directv work with satellite internet?

My internet was working just fine.  Then it wasn't.  When I called DTV I was told it would not work.  Now I can't get on demand, PPV or any of the apps.  I can no longer get DTV on my ipad.  How can I fix it?

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: Will Directv work with satellite internet?

Yes, it can work with satellite internet, but we don't recommend it due to the large files and high costs involved when downloading video files via satellite internet.

But tell us more about your equipment ....

• Model of DirecTV DVRs and Receivers?
  • How are they connected to your home network for internet access?
  • Did anything else change with your internet equipment when this problem started?
  • Have you tried resetting your internet modem and DirecTV DVR(s)?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22
Employee

I Would call your ISP and make sure you have not been DAP

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 22
ACE - Expert

What peds48 means is that you may have exceeded your monthly internet download limit. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 22
Tutor

I have the whole home HDDVR.  Model HR24-200.  I also have the Genie HD DVR HR34-700 and Genie Mini's C31-700 and another box H24-200.  All are connected wirelessly for internet access.  As a peculiar note, I can access my Wi machine wirelessly at the main tv location (HR 34/700 I believe) and I can use my Chromecast in the bedroom on the H24-200 to access the internet wirelessly, but my HD DVR will not access the internet.  I have tried again this morning and get this error diagnosis code 71-73-989.

Nothing else has changed in my home.  I have had the same internet provider and the same modem.  Everything can access the internet: computers, ipads, iphones....just not Directv.

I've also tried resetting the modem and the DVR's.  I've also checked the connections.

Funny thing is it was working perfectly from the moment the installer installed the Genie system almost a year ago or when it first came out.  Then it stopped working.  When I called Directv I was told that my satellite internet would not work with their system.  That just doesn't make sense.

I wanted to watch something on Demand so I tried to connect again yesterday. Same thing.  Any help or advice would sure be helpful.  I have the satellite internet and I am not limited as to what or how much I can download.  I never did try to download off of the internet with the DVR, just watch On Demand TV, etc.

As I look at it, I'm not getting my money's worth without this working properly.

Message 5 of 22
Tutor

No limits imposed by my ISP.  Thanks for the info though.

Message 6 of 22
Employee

Who is you ISP?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 22
Employee

When you are watching VOD, that content is coming from the internet.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 22
Tutor

My ISP is a local called Datamax.  I have superior service and no outages. 

Message 9 of 22
Tutor

I Can't watch VOD because the system tells me I have no internet connection. 

Message 10 of 22
Employee

So this is a cell based internet.  Which plan do you have?

1. What is your download speed?
  2. what router are you using? model number?
Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 22
Tutor

I Have no idea what a cell based internet is.  All I know is that it's satellite service.  I have the residential Premium package.  I have a D-Link Router.  DIR-615.  I see a 130.0Mbps In the control panel but online they advertise 4Mbps download speeds. 

Message 12 of 22
Employee

Go to www.speedtest.net and post back with your download speed

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 22
Tutor

Ping 53 ms, download speed 3.42 Mpbs, upload speed 1.5 Mbps

Message 14 of 22
Tutor

I Just ran my Speedy PC Pro and came back with a download speed of 3.69 Mbps

Message 15 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support