Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Will DIRECTV App for Android Tablets "Refresh" Abroad?

Teacher

Will DIRECTV App for Android Tablets "Refresh" Abroad?

Me and my family are heading to Paris next week.  I plan to download many shows onto my Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2) to watch on the plane and during downtime.  I know that the app requires you to connect to the internet every so often to keep recordings authenticated, otherwise it will just say No Recordings on this device.  I do plan to connect to the internet in the flat we are renting for the week.  Will I still be able to access my recordings for the flight home?  

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master

Re: Will DIRECTV App for Android Tablets "Refresh" Abroad?

directv does not provide service outside of the US, either by sat or web

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Teacher

Thanks, mdram4x4.  That doesn't really answer my question, though.  I am not planning to attempt to watch "live" DIRECTV nor do I plan to attempt to stream my DVR to my tablet.  I am planning to download many episodes from my DVR to my tablet before we leave for offline viewing on the plane.  However, when I have done this in the past, I discovered that the DIRECTV app requires periodic (daily??) check in online to maintain the viability of downloaded shows.  Ultimately, I would like to be able to watch shows both on our flight to France and our flight back a week later.  I do plan to use my tablet online for making reservations, researching destinations, etc while in France.  What I am wondering is if I open the app while connected to the internet, will that keep my downloaded recordings "viable"/watchable on the plane ride home, or will the app recognize where I am (out of the US) and instantly lock and/or delete my downloads?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Teacher

If anyone cares, the app WILL NOT allow you to "check in" and continue to watch episodes of shows downloaded from your DVR when you are abroad.  In fact, after 3 days of leaving my tablet without access to the internet (I kept the WiFi off intentionally so I could watch my shows), the app just wouldn't launch at all.  The functionality to watch shows I downloaded to my tablet from my DVR did not get restored after I connected to WiFi and allowed the app to "check in."  Obviously the DIRECTV servers identified that I was not in the US and basically shut me down.  So "TV Anywhere" really just means "TV Anywhere in the US when you keep the device online and connected to DIRECTV servers."  

You know what did work?  Netflix. Amazon Prime.  Google Play Movies.  All of the content I downloaded from those sources still worked even after I logged into the WiFi at the flat we rented.  Streaming worked for GPM.   

This is a huge hole, AT&T.  The mobile app really stinks ever since you got rid of the GenieGo device.  It's making me consider a new provider after 21 years.  

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support