Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wifi+ ok, but not wifi channels?

Mentor

Wifi+ ok, but not wifi channels?

I have not been able to stream live since a series of updates began about 2 months ago.

However, with the latest update I find that I can stream those channels market as wifi+.

Go to the Menu (upper left) and then "live streaming".  The channels shown are either wifi or wifi+

The difference is wifi is for streaming from home while, wifi+ is available for both home wifi or cell tower streaming.

In my case, I find my Samsung GS4 will allow me to stream the wifi+ channels only, and this is on home wifi not cell tower.  I cannot stream any wifi channels.

The question is why?  The wifi+ channels are being streamed over the same home network as when I try to stream wifi channels, but for these I get the standard "to tune to this show, your phone must be connected to the same network as your receiver."  IT IS!

dtvbob

Message 1 of 41
Expert

Re: Wifi+ ok, but not wifi channels?

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

and how are these receivers connected to the internet?

Message 2 of 41
Expert

Press the DASH button on your DirecTV remote, does the pop up message indicates "Internet: Connected"?

Message 3 of 41
Mentor

Yes the receiver is connected to the Internet.  My router shows it is and I can stream wifi+ stations without any messages.

It is the wifi channels that don't stream on the same network as the wifi+ channels do stream.

I have the HR24-500 receiver........why should that make a difference? 

Message 4 of 41
Expert

see post #2.  what does it say?

Message 5 of 41
Mentor

Yes

.HR24-500 receiver....and same receiver worked 2 months ago with the same app!

I can only reply by email...not via the forum???

YES I AM LOGGED IN.

Message 6 of 41
Professor

Click on your name select preferences add your name in the required fields, only you will see it.

Message 7 of 41
Mentor

When I do that under Edit Profile it substitutes that for my username?

So, I put in dtv bob as first and last name....and that worked!

Thanks

Message 8 of 41
Mentor

As I mentioned above, I have the HR24-500 HD DVR receiver and it has been in use for a few years.

I was able to stream via the Android app on my phone w/o any issues until about 2 months ago when the updates started.

No I can only stream the wifi+ channels as noted.....and on the same network then if I try the wifi channels they will not work?

ugh.

Message 9 of 41
Mentor

Did I say that I uninstalled the app and reinstalled the latest and this still happens....

DTVBOB

Message 10 of 41
Mentor

FROM THE DIRECTV APP REVIEWS

Horrible

Why would I want to be connected to my network to watch shows on my phone. I midas well watch it on the TV..when you are connected it'll only let you watch th3 ones with the + ..

Ha, I am not the only one with this issue!!

Message 11 of 41
Tutor

I have the same issue. I can stream the wifi+ channels on iPad and iPhone. Other channels on iPhone say, "error video streaming is temporarily unavailable. please try again later.  (3100)". On I pad it says my home network is responding slowly. This is BS as I can stream the wifi+ channels, Sunday Ticket, Youtube, etc. I sent Tweets to Support and they even called but nothing is fixed.

Message 12 of 41
Tutor

Spent a half hour with Support on the phone. We reset the Genie, resorted the defaults on the network for the Genie and voila it's all working with all my channels again, both our iPads and iPhone.

Message 13 of 41
Mentor

Great!

But why should it work with the wifi+ but not wifi?

No differences in the network on which both are being streamed.

I already reset my HR24 receiver; network is fine as the wifi+ channels work on it.

Message 14 of 41
Tutor

I can only assume that the app couldn't find the Genie, even though it showed up in green on the app until it was reset. I guess that due to being able to stream the wifi+ anywhere it would have worked outside my home also.

Message 15 of 41
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support