Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What happened to the AppleTV DirectTV Go App?

Highlighted
Tutor

What happened to the AppleTV DirectTV Go App?

When the wind blows and the rains come (which is often right now), we would switch over to AppleTV and the Directv Go app to watch TV. I don't know if it disappeared before the latest tvOS update or when that updated, but this app is no longer available on the app store. We now have the Directv Now app -- which I don't want -- I'm paying for very expensive Satellite access. When I talk to Directv they give me a million ways to watch it on phones and tablets, or they try and sell my Now, ugh. I want that AppleTV app back. 

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Master

Re: What happened to the AppleTV DirectTV Go App?

@txElvis wrote:

When the wind blows and the rains come (which is often right now), we would switch over to AppleTV and the Directv Go app to watch TV. I don't know if it disappeared before the latest tvOS update or when that updated, but this app is no longer available on the app store. We now have the Directv Now app -- which I don't want -- I'm paying for very expensive Satellite access. When I talk to Directv they give me a million ways to watch it on phones and tablets, or they try and sell my Now, ugh. I want that AppleTV app back. 

you are paying for satellite access, not streaming access.

you may need your dish adjusted, there are vids on youtube, or schedule a tech visit

i dont recall a directv go app, as that to do with the old genie go?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Former Employee

Directv Now app is for the online streaming service. Directv Go app is for satellite service streaming.

Download the DIRECTV App here:

iTunes Store }||{ Google Play Store

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Master

i dont think it will be on the appletv, as tv streaming is not supported

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
Tutor

>>you are paying for satellite access, not streaming access.

@mdram4x4 I don't have to pay for streaming services if I have Satellite. It streams to my Apple iOS devices just fine and I don't "pay for streaming" -- you seem to imply this is required to stream.

>> Directv Go app is for satellite service streaming.

We need to bring this back to ATV. The satellite service 771 when we need weather info the most. Airplay resolution from the iOS device is terrible. This is something we had, needs to come back.

Either that or the TV app needs to integrate better with Directv. Too confusing for my wife and family to figure it out when they're stressed out.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by tgreaves
‎10-17-2018 7:40 AM

there is no TV app

its for phones/tablets

directv does not directly support streaming to a tv. i have not seen any news stating otherwise

if you want to stream on a tv you need a streaming service

or use the network specific apps with dtv as your provider

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 13
Tutor

>>there is no TV app

Funny, I just opened the TV app on my AppleTV. @mdram4x4 please leave the conversation.

@tgreaves please tell AT&T to allow us to use our satellite subscription to login to Directv Now. I don't have to pay for it with Dish, and I used to not have to pay for it with DIRECTV. 

Thank you.

Message 7 of 13
Former Employee

The Directv Now app is for the online streaming paid service. This is separate from the satellite service app. 2 systems, 2 different sets of coding, same company. that is the only similarity about them is the name. 

Directv Now app will never work for Satellite services. 

There is 2 apps.

Directv 2 Go (Satellite)

Directv Now app (Online Streaming)

Download the correct app for the service you have.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 8 of 13
ACE - Master

@txElvis wrote:

>>there is no TV app

Funny, I just opened the TV app on my AppleTV. @mdram4x4 please leave the conversation.

@tgreaves please tell AT&T to allow us to use our satellite subscription to login to Directv Now. I don't have to pay for it with Dish, and I used to not have to pay for it with DIRECTV. 

Thank you.

you need to sub to directv now to get that app to work

there is no directv satellite app for tv service

what about that do you not understand?

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

@txElvis wrote:

>>there is no TV app

Thank you.

Actually @mdram4x4 was correct. You are missing some key information.

DirecTV and DIRECTVNOW are 2 separate TV providers.

DirecTV is service by satellite. It has a app for smart phones and tablets only. There is no TV app, and streaming the app from a mobile device to a TV is not authorized.

DIRECTVNOW is a new internet streaming service from AT&T. As it is solely streamed from the internet, it has to use apps on devices, such as Apple TV to work. That is it what it is designed for.

DirecTV and DIRECTVNOW have nothing to do with each other. They just have the same owner.

So perhaps check your information better instead of requesting people to leave a public discussion.

Message 10 of 13
Former Employee

@txElvis

The reason why there is NO Directv satellite app is so people are made to use spend money to use it on a TV via a receiver. Whats the outright cost of a "Apple TV" compared to the cost of a receiver for how many months.

This is why there is no satellite app for apple tv.

You could always back out of the satellite tv service and just get Directv Now and all your problems would be solved.

Message 11 of 13
ACE - Expert

The DTV mobile app never supported streaming to a TV, the bug that allowed it to work at times has been fixed so it will no longer work.

Message 12 of 13
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not have an app on Apple TV.

DIRECTVNOW, sometimes abbreviated to DTVN, has an app for Apple TV.

DirecTV does not allow any form of streaming to a TV as their app is for mobile service only. Anyone who was able to stream from a mobile device to a TV were lucky as that was not supposed to work.

So DTVN is available for streaming to a TV, but normal DirecTV is not.

And yes you did mention Directv Now yourself.

@txElvis wrote:

>>there is no TV app

Thank you.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support