Explore & discover

Helpful Links

***UPDATE*** Mobile DVR Outage Resolution Slated for Tonight, Per DirecTV

Teacher

***UPDATE*** Mobile DVR Outage Resolution Slated for Tonight, Per DirecTV

***UPDATE*** Outage Resolution Slated for Tonight, Per DirecTV

Per DirecTV, the Mobile DVR outage will be resolved via a Receiver UI update that will be pushed out at midnight (unsure of time zone). Here are the details from the chat session I just had with them:

Roseleena : let me explain this issue .
Roseleena : As the back end engineers recently updated the User Interface in the receiver most of the customers are facing this issue , but not to worry they are working on fixing this issue by updating new modified User Interface in your receiver .
Roseleena : The new UI will be updated in your receiver in mid night today , I request you to leave the receiver powered On and uninterrupted to update the new UI
Roseleena : That will resolve this outage .
Me : OK - can you be specific as to the outage that will be resolved? What are the impacted services?
Roseleena : Actually this is a temporary outage , it wont affect any of your receiver as of now it only disabled the DVR function for the maintenance , that is the reason you are facing this issue .
Roseleena : Do not worry other than that there is no impact in the receiver or services .
Me : OK - so if I am understanding you correctly, as of midnight tonight, Mobile DVR service for the DirecTV mobile app will be fully restored, granting access to my receiver's DVR to all mobile devices on the same network?
Roseleena : Yes you are correct , as you have reached me I have also raised a request for Email notification so once the update in complete in the DVR you will be notified and for your information next day morning you need to reboot the receiver once to refresh the new update .
Me : ok - I'll keep an eye out for the email. Thank you for your help.
Roseleena : You are most welcome.
Roseleena : Is there anything else I can help you with? I'd be glad to assist.
Me : that's it - have a great shift!

Fingers Crossed! ;-)

Message 1 of 47
Teacher

Re: ***UPDATE*** Mobile DVR Outage Resolution Slated for Tonight, Per DirecTV

The issue was note resolved, as was promised. More info to come.

Message 2 of 47
Teacher

I am also in IT, and the only time you make guarantees is 1) If it is a 90+% certainty of resolution or 2) You want to be relieved of having to address the issue with the customer directly. This was clearly the latter, as the super-quick transfer by multiple agents straight to the billing department, without notice, after providing a canned response is proof. As well, another chat that I just had confirmed that the 'estimated' resolution is now tomorrow, which is a much better way of putting it. This way, if it is resolved, we are all pleased. If not, then we are more understanding. I'm not holding my breath, and have a feeling I'll be receiving bill adjustments for some time to come. :-(

The real pain point here is that AT&T/DirecTV have provided no public-facing KB or notice of the outage, requiring each customer to go through hours of pain-staking self-troubleshooting, as well as dealing with ill-trained agents who then ask them to provide the same troubleshooting all over again. THEN, after all of that unnecessary work, an outage is confirmed. Might be a better idea to check their system initially, based on the reported symptom, and then inform the customer of the outage to prevent pointless work. I personally had to speak with three different agents of a 72 hour period, troubleshooting the symptoms the same way each time, before someone finally mentioned the outage. Also, the troubleshooting/configuration documentation for Mobile DVR is outdated and poorly-documented, with one article even pointing directly to one individuals experience to get the app working on an iPad as an 'official fix', while every comment under stated that it did not work for them. Come one, AT&T/DirecTV, you're already making me regret my decision to come over for the sole purpose of having features that have never worked, for which there is no solid ETA as to when they will work, and for which there is no public-facing documentation acknowledging that they are not working, 'by design', due to intentionally being disabled because their engineers messed up the Receive UI, which broke the service. SMH!

Message 3 of 47
Mentor

There is now way CSRs have any details on this. it would be very unusual for engineering to share ANY timelines on when fixes are deployed.

Message 4 of 47
Former Employee

@Bro_Sleeve, have you done a search on the forums here yet for a fix? or even a temp solution to your problem. 9/10 times someone else has already ran in to your same issue and has since found a fix for it.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 5 of 47
Teacher

Funny you should mention that. Actually, I spent hours scouring forums,
attempting various reported solutions, and even performing my own
troubleshooting. No dice.

Again, Mobile DVR functionality has been intentionally disabled by
DirecTV/AT&T engineers until their receiver UI issue is resolved. Thus,
this is documented and intentional Mobile DVR outage, resulting from
unintentional impact related to a previous change, that was not
communicated to paying customers. This cannot be resolved by any fix or
temporary solution from forum posts. To put it simply, they have to turn
the service back on.

The real problem here is the lack of communication, both internally and
externally. This is why you, an internal employee, are referring me to
forums for potential fixes for a service that has been disabled, as a
whole. ;-) #TimeWaster
Message 6 of 47
Mentor

I don't think the Mobile DVR service has been disabled. Instead, I think what is disabled is the device registration process.

Message 7 of 47
Teacher

The AT&T number is actually 1 (800) 331-0500

Message 8 of 47
Teacher

I would tend to agree, but if you refuse to accept their canned responses
and ask them to provide details on the outage, I at least found one person
who would do so (the chat transcript in the original post above). How
accurate the information is, of course, if anyone's guess. However, if this
is what the customer-facing, front-lines representatives provide, this is
what we are expected to accept.

The other representatives I tried to speak with would perform
turbo-transfers to the billing department after providing their canned
responses before any details could be asked. Rather humorous, if I do say
so myself.
Message 9 of 47
Former Employee

@Bro_Sleeve, If this is a Directv issue, then you should be calling Directv at 1.800.531.5000

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 10 of 47
Teacher

I believe it is broader than that, as they also confirmed that receivers showing as not connected to the internet in your DirecTV/AT&T customer portal, when they really are, is also related to the outage. All I know is the service won't work until they turn it back on, which DirecTV/AT&T also confirmed.
Message 11 of 47
Former Employee

@Bro_Sleeve, ok lets just say its a "known" issue. What do you expect anyone on the forum here to do to fix it?

Message 12 of 47
Teacher

@tgreaves I don't recall anything in my post or replies asking for a solution. My post is simply to inform other affected customers experiencing the same issue so that they do not waste time trying to troubleshoot a service that has been disabled. So, in other words, I'm not an AT&T/DirecTV employee, but I am doing their jobs for them. ;-)

As well, DirecTV is now part of AT&T, which is why this post, which was made on forums.att.com, was placed under AT&T < AT&T Forums < TV < DirecTV Forum < DirecTV Apps. So this post is right where it is supposed to be, though it is not popular with the employees who wish to keep this outage under wraps. This is probably because they do not want every customer impacted by the outage to contact the billing department to request billing credits for the duration for the outage (which has been ongoing since at least 8/3), which every one of them would be justified in doing.

Please don't vilify a paying customer who is simply calling out AT&T/DirecTV for poor communication of a known outage and attempting to ensure that others don't go through hours of pointless troubleshooting like I did. It doesn't reflect well on the company, and further corroborates the points I have been making.

Message 13 of 47
ACE - Expert

It isn't an outage, it's a feature that is not working correctly.  They have acknowledged it.  They have not actually given any official resolution time.  I'm sorry the chat CSR lied to you.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 47
Mentor

FYI,

I’ve tried to get credit for this service as I am having the same issues. DTV response was this was a “Complimentary Service” that did not qualify for credits. I didn’t have time to speak to the Customer Loyalty department so maybe that will change.

Message 15 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support