Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Amazon Fire TV cube

Highlighted
Tutor

New Amazon Fire TV cube

Does anyone know if the Direct TV app will run on the new Amazon Fire TV Cube or will you have to subscribe to Direct TV Now? I already have the Direct TV app on my phone and iPad, as I am a Direct TV customer, so I would hope I would not have to subscribe to the Direct TV Now service also. Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Master

Re: New Amazon Fire TV cube

the directv app only runs on phone and tablets

it is not meant to be used with a tv

if you want directv on a tv, get a receiver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I already have a receiver on another TV. I was hoping a receiver would not be required for the TV that I am putting the cube on. That particular TV has an Apple TV hooked to it and I am able to receive many of the major stations via their app(s). Additionally, if I was a Hulu subscriber, I could get live TV through them, so I thought that DirectTV Now might possibly have their app available for the Fire TV Cube. There is not a technical limitation in doing so, they probably just need to cut a deal with Amazon.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Master

@krclaytor wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I already have a receiver on another TV. I was hoping a receiver would not be required for the TV that I am putting the cube on. That particular TV has an Apple TV hooked to it and I am able to receive many of the major stations via their app(s). Additionally, if I was a Hulu subscriber, I could get live TV through them, so I thought that DirectTV Now might possibly have their app available for the Fire TV Cube. There is not a technical limitation in doing so, they probably just need to cut a deal with Amazon.

your original post said directv app

yhis post says directv now

which app do you want?

they are different services

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Tutor

Sorry for any confusion...

If the Direct TV app is going to be available on the Fire TV Cube, that would be fine, so then I would not need a receiver or have to pay for Direct TV Now. If only the Direct TV "Now" app is available, then I would subscribe to that and drop my Direct TV service. I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows if either is going to available. I wasn't able to find out the answer through Amazon's customer service or Direct TV's customer service.  From what I have been told, with the Direct TV Now service, you do not need a receiver if you have a Smart TV that is capable of downloading the app and running it, plus you get the added convenience of being able to view it via the app on a phone or tablet. For what its worth, you can also view it on a PC or Mac device by logging in to your DTV Now account (which I personally verified). Thanks for the reply!

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by krclaytor
‎06-20-2018 7:42 AM

i do believe the directv now app is already available on the amazon fire tv, so it should be on the cube

i doubt the directv app will ever be available on a streaming device, its just not meant for that

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 11
Tutor

Thanks, you are correct, I just received a reply from Amazon that you just need to download the Direct TV Now app from the Amazon App store. 

Best wishes!

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Master

goodluck!

Message 8 of 11
Contributor

I just downloaded the DIRECTV NOW app and it works on the fire tv cube. On the early test with it I found that Alexa commands do not work as expected with the DIRECTV NOW app. 

This is however day 1 at launch and it should get better. 

Message 9 of 11
Tutor

Thanks, I totally agree. I am hoping the software greatly improves. It works fine for TV functions, but what is the point when you still have to use the other remote to control functions as simple as “select” for example. I’m keeping the faith and hope Amazon delivers in this regard. Again...thank you for the response!
Message 10 of 11
Contributor

I figured out how to connect Directv to the amazon fire tv cube and put it in a video on my channel.  Check it out!

https://youtu.be/ILUflFi73v8

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support