Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HDMI output not supported

Highlighted
Contributor

HDMI output not supported

Hello! I am away from home and want to hook up my iPad to the TV so that I can see what I recorded on my DVR.  When I hook up the iPad via HDMI lightning connecter, I can see my iPad screen and the app.  When I go to play something recorded on the DVR, I can hear it, but it says HDMI Output is not supported.  Is there a resolution? Thanks

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-12-2018 6:58 PM

Re: HDMI output not supported

Nope, DTVs mobile app is only for watching on the mobile device not streaming/casting to a TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
Contributor

Thank you Shannon.  Why didn’t the person on DTV technical support just tell me that.  They were not competent.  I feel if I am not at home and want to what my DVR on a big screen, I should be able to.  Does DTV monitor this forum?  What is the best way to provide my feedback?  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 14
ACE - Master

@Lilly2020 wrote:

Thank you Shannon.  Why didn’t the person on DTV technical support just tell me that.  They were not competent.  I feel if I am not at home and want to what my DVR on a big screen, I should be able to.  Does DTV monitor this forum?  What is the best way to provide my feedback?  Thanks again!

sending to a tv used to work, but was never intended to.  recent updates to the software have fixed the hole.

you may want a different service is this feature is required.  i have read directv app allows casting

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
ACE - Expert

DTV service requires a box and additional fees to watch programs on a TV. Allowing streaming/casting to a TV circumvents this so it is not allowed.

Message 5 of 14
Contributor

So why can I mirror some channels and not all? Question technically not answered. 

I’m on my own WiFi, my box is broken again and of course I have to wait 2 days for a new box. In the meantime I can’t watch a mirrored program. You guys really know how to help out a customer. 

Message 6 of 14
Contributor

Exactly!! At least open up a DirecTV NOW acct for the duration of your outage!!

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Hammer72 wrote:

What "outage"?  Nobody here mentioned any sort of outage.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 8 of 14
Contributor

Sorry... "outage" = for the 2 day wait for the new box (as stated in the post from frodisman on Dec 15th)

Message 9 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Hammer72 wrote:

Though both owned by AT&T, DirecTV and Directv Now (DTVN) are two separate TV providers. As such they do not interact with each and do not have permission from the channel owners to open the streaming service to satellite customers.

One of the log term ideas of AT&T has been to be a unified TV provider. So it is possible that down the road (not anytime soon) it may be one TV service with multiple delivery methods (satellite, hardline, streaming). But for now they are still working on getting the different systems updated for billing and account management. So a lot of work to be done before they could even look at joining services.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 10 of 14

If you download movies or shows to the app on your device then the show will play. 

However, nothing plays that’s live, or available to stream to TV sets. This saves AT&T data usage. Fighting with them over this still. 

Dan👌🏻

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Expert

Fighting with them will not change that it is working as intended.

The DirecTV app has never supported casting/mirroring to a TV. This is because it goes against their billing model and agreement with the networks.

With DirecTV you pay for each authorized TV on the service. Using the app, people could get a free TV on the service or even provide a friend/family member with service instead of them paying for their own account as required by the terms of service. This is further regulated by the FCC as the physical service address determines what locals you get, which professional teams are in market, and what taxes you pay.

The mobile app is just that, for MOBILE use only. Not a way to get on a TV and avoid paying for it. You want to stream, then you use a streaming TV provider like Directv Now (DTVN), Netflix, Hulu, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 12 of 14
Contributor

Download the app for the channel your favorite show is on and then sign on to DirecTV through that app. Find your show on the app and then watch that way.

Message 13 of 14
Contributor

Download the app for the channel your favorite show is on and then sign in through DirecTV through the app. Find your show on the app.

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support