Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv with Windows 10

Contributor

Directv with Windows 10

I want to be able to access my Directv DVR with my Windows 10 laptop for wireless use.  Can this be done?

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: Directv with Windows 10

There is no DTV Mobile app for laptops/PCs but some have used an android emulator called Nox from bignox.com.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Mentor

The best answer is that this used to be possible, but for an unknown reason (AKA paranoia that content will be ripped and uploaded to the internet, but who are they kidding?), DirecTV decided to remove the app and all support.  Not for tiny screens the size of a pocket sized photo, but full PC's.  The forum moderators would lead you to believe that you can download an Android emulator to do this, but lets be real. It's a workaround at best and doesn't actually work.  The solution would be for DirecTV to build a desktop application that allows the same functionality that DirecTV2PC used to provide for years. I'm sure the development of this app would amount to a few weekends for a couple of smart developers, but we know that DirecTV doesn't care about innovation or their customer, or else this would have been addressed about 3 years ago.

Here's the real solution. Get a subscription to a VPN service and go to a torrent site that provides links to the torrent seed.  You will be able to download and watch just about any show or movie that exists. DirecTV seems to want to charge you for the content you've already paid for by watching ads during On Demand shows and not let you watch content that is recorded to your DVR, that is in your house, and on your own network. It boggles the mind why DirecTV would want to drive us to the solution I have proposed since any show or movie you can think of is going to end up on the Internet one way or another, but here we are.

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

DTV doesn't control the channels On Demand servers. DTV also pays the channel provides to carry their content.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
Contributor

So despite the ATT/DIRECTV ads, you CAN'T take DIRECTV anywhere on you "devices" such as a portable laptop.  Just a phone.

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert

You can stream some channels with your laptop web browser by logging into your DTV/AT&T account.  Once you leave your home network you can't stream from the DVR with a phone either as of March 4th.

Message 6 of 12
Mentor

They've already made it abundantly clear that they don't care about platforms other than mobile phones and tablets.  Again, they used to offer this functionality and then killed it with no reason given to this day. One day the apps were there, then Windows 10 came out and they immediately dropped support for them. Even though you could still install them, they no longer offered keys for either DirecTV2PC, then shortly after completely discontinued the GenieGo platform. You can ask them all you want, they're not going to tell you why and they show no signs of offering it again.

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Also, as you can tell from the last reply from the expert, they also appear to be getting rid of mobile DVR. Yet another option down the drain.  I don't get why they did this.  I have a suspicion why, but they'll never say it.

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

DirecTV2PC never got out of beta testing.  Genietogo/Nomad where rolled into the mobile app.

Message 9 of 12
Mentor

Of course the website, when DirecTV2PC was available, never presented itself as a Beta or being in Beta. I never saw any announcement that stated "because this is in beta, we no longer support it." It sounds like a very canned answer and not a real answer. The fact that GenieGo and Nomad were rolled into the mobile app also doesn't address the reason why the functionality to stream from your DVR to your PC or Mac was suddenly killed. And those weren't in Beta either. It's a simple question and answer. The question being, why was support for streaming content recorded to your DVR to your PC or Mac dropped without providing a new app?

Message 10 of 12
ACE - Expert

@trongod05 wrote:

Of course the website, when DirecTV2PC was available, never presented itself as a Beta or being in Beta. I never saw any announcement that stated "because this is in beta, we no longer support it." It sounds like a very canned answer and not a real answer. The fact that GenieGo and Nomad were rolled into the mobile app also doesn't address the reason why the functionality to stream from your DVR to your PC or Mac was suddenly killed. And those weren't in Beta either. It's a simple question and answer. The question being, why was support for streaming content recorded to your DVR to your PC or Mac dropped without providing a new app?

My opinion ...

It was dropped because they couldn't get it to work properly. And they focused their engineers on DirecTV Now for streaming instead of DirecTV Satellite.

Message 11 of 12
Contributor

DirecTV Satellite,maybe it worked well before,but not now.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support