Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv app

Highlighted
Contributor

Directv app

Why would you advertise that you can take your dvr with you if the app refuses to find your dvr unless you are at home.  The app was working fine and now it will not work unless i am at home.  Pointless - i have tried resetting my genie over and over and that won't work.  Please help me i have a few road trip coming up and want to be able to access my dvr

Message 1 of 30
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-21-2019 8:42 AM

Re: Directv app

the out of home streaming was changed march 4th 2019

you can download shows to your phone while in home to take them with you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 30
Tutor

I can no longer even log in to the app on my iPhone.  Is this part of that change??  I used the app to record shows to my DVR when I am away from home, as well as to stream live TV, and search the Guide.  It seems ridiculous that they would disable the app outside of the home.   No one at ATT or Directv seems to know anything and has no idea how to help me get re-logged in to the mobile app.  Very frustrating. 

Message 3 of 30
ACE - Expert

@sssinla wrote:

I can no longer even log in to the app on my iPhone.  Is this part of that change??  I used the app to record shows to my DVR when I am away from home, as well as to stream live TV, and search the Guide.  It seems ridiculous that they would disable the app outside of the home.   No one at ATT or Directv seems to know anything and has no idea how to help me get re-logged in to the mobile app.  Very frustrating. 

Those features should still work. Try deleting and reinstalling the app.  And reset your Genie DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 30
Tutor

Love DTV but the app has been rendered useless if you can"t view and play dvr away from home IMO as I work away from home all week.. Back to Xfinity until ATT/DTV get their agreements sorted out with viacom and others.

Message 5 of 30
Tutor

I now cannot log in to any website or app that requires you to select your TV/Cable provider and enter an email and password.  Directv has no idea what to do.  I can't get into Directv, HBO GO, MSNBC to name 3. Increasingly frustrating. 

I think it has something to do with these sites and apps asking for an email instead of user ID, and I've tried entering both and nothing is working.  Directv has reset my account/password more than 15 times, and i have changed it each time and tried again on all apps.  At a loss. 

Message 6 of 30

DirecTV "WAS" the BEST satellite service out there UNTIL AT&T got involved.  I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with the AT&T "Merger." I've been a DirecTV customer for OVER a Decade & I was Really happy with DirecTV & their Mobile App.  I Travel a lot & LOVED that I could access my DVR while away from home.  Now AT&T has taken away that service AND raised my monthly bill.  I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with that.  They TAKE AWAY an option, that I really like, AND Charge me MORE!  Ridiculous!!!

1) PLEASE DO NOT reply to this by saying I can still stream movies & shows thru the website. I'm aware of that AND many many of your competitors are providing JUST THAT.  The DirecTV Mobile app was a unique & Awesome tool.  I liked accessing my DVR while AWAY FROM HOME.

2) PLEASE DO NOT reply to this by saying I can still download my DVR content WHILE IN MY HOME. I'm aware of that AND I'm currently traveling & discovered AT&T took away my "out of home" access to my DVR when I WAS AWAY FROM HOME on a business trip.  TERRIBLE time to find out I can't use the DirecTV Mobile app. I liked accessing my DVR while AWAY FROM HOME.

3) PLEASE DO NOT reply by saying everything is going toward "Steaming Service."  If that's the case then I may look elsewhere for my service, also I was never asked if I preferred Streaming or my DVR...guess what, I prefer my DVR.  I like my DVR & I liked accessing it away from home.

If ya couldn't tell, I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with AT&T's decision of phasing out the DirecTV Mobile app's "AWAY FROM HOME" dvr Access.  

Message 7 of 30
ACE - Expert

@Person1989 ,

OK. I won't reply with any of those comments Smiley Happy

None of us are happy with their decision to drop out-of-home DVR access. It's a feature that never worked well and it seems they've given up on it, pushing folks to DirecTV Now if they want streaming access. Note that a Slingbox will provide that functionality for you. 

Message 8 of 30
Contributor

I too am very angry that I can no longer download certain tv shows even while at home to my iPhone and it was very nice being able to fast forward through the commercials but now that’s not an option. That was the whole point of downloading it to my iPhone or Ipad so I could watch uninterrupted and skip commercials.

Message 9 of 30
Contributor

Are you guys able to download your show and skip through the commercials because I could before March 4th.

Message 10 of 30
ACE - Expert

@hawaiijedi 

The latest App update did not affect our ability to download shows from Genie DVRs to smart devices. I just downloaded a bunch of shows today. 

Likewise, I'm still able to FF through commercials, unless it was an OnDemand/streaming download. But that's always been the case. 

Something else is wrong if you can't download and can't FF. Try deleting and reinstalling the App. And try resetting your main Genie DVR.

Message 11 of 30
Teacher

Probably got tired of providing "free" data to AT&T cell service customers and didn't want to try and reprogram a crummy app.

Message 12 of 30
Scholar

Why reset Genie? Shouldn't make any difference.

Message 13 of 30
ACE - Expert

@timbuk2okc wrote:

Why reset Genie? Shouldn't make any difference.

Sure it does. The Genie DVR is the box that prepares its recordings for downloading to your phone/tablet using the DirecTV App. Resetting the Genie DVR often cures issues with preparing and downloading recordings. 

Message 14 of 30
Scholar

Ok, thanks. That clears that up. But I I'm not concerned about streaming DVR Content... I want to watch DirecTV live on the App away from home as promised and it doesn't work.

Message 15 of 30
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support