Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

Tutor

Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

When I connect my iPhone app to my smart TV I’m getting a message  HDMI output not supported .  It worked fine up to last week.   I have a different TV app and that one works. I only get that message when using DIRECTV app . 

Message 1 of 127

Re: Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

Then they should stop selling it if you truly can’t take Directv everywhere.  If the mobile app is not suppose to support streaming tv then tell me why they are selling this on their website...  Isn’t this false advertisement?  By the way, I do have satellite at home and I pay close to 200.00 every month for directv.  Your answer - spend more money with directv.  Really?  Who cares if I plug into my tv on a camping trip a few weekends out of the year.  Again, bad business decision on Directv’s part.  Smart thing would of been letting customers add this feature to their current plan rather than just cutting them off. 

ATT Website:

Take your DIRECTV with you

Included with your package: watch your live channels and recorded shows anytime, anywhere, on your devices.

By the way, you are right... we all have the sky.  Just purchased a 90 mile range antenna w/TiVo. Oh, and it’s free every month,   Saying goodbye to Directv - you finally lost me after reading your responses to this issue!

Message 16 of 127
ACE - Expert

It is not false advertising. They do not advertise you can stream from your phone to your TV. You can take your phone or tablet and stream on the mobile device itself, or use MobileDVR (HR44, HR54, HS17 models only) to temporarily copy recordings for 30 days to watch where there is little to no internet, or out of country where they may not broadcast/stream.

So you can take Directv everywhere, you just cannot cast from mobile device to TV. There is a difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 127

You are wrong.

FF2B18ED-737E-4731-8ABE-B2D2DBFFA97A.jpeg

Message 18 of 127
ACE - Expert

That advertisement needs better clarification. The "Switch Screens" is not to tether the phone to the TV, but essentially to tune the channel/recording of the box to that show. So "Switch Screens" doesn't mean "Tether" or "stream."

So mobile data is not to be used for streaming to TV, but using the app you can tell the Directv box to go to that program. I agree that more description is needed as too many people assume otherwise.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 127

This is my last response as you have already agreed to my point BUT this app is to enable you to take your Directv with you... on the go, not for in home use.  It doesn’t say “switch to your directv box” and if you are away - your not near your box.  What you are repeatly saying makes no sense.  The whole point of the app is to be mobile and have tv from anywhere and you are now saying the opposite.

I’m finished with this discussion. 

Message 20 of 127
ACE - Expert

I agree that the line of "switch screens" is misleading. Nowhere does it specifically say using mobile data to show on your TV.

If you are using you data watching something on phone or tablet in another room of the house, or arrive home if watching as a passenger, you can use an option to tell the Driectv box to pull the program up on it from the live satellite feed. This way you can "switch screens" for convenience, but still doesn't use the mobile data itself. The only part the app does then is sending a small instruction through the service for the Driectv box to tune into the correct program.

Sorry that doesn't make sense for you, but that is how Directv had designed it. Mobile data to TV would use too much bandwidth if they made that common, with current cell phone service available. Perhaps down the road if the infrastructure advances enough they will change it to work as you and some others expect. Until then mobile data itself cannot be used to stream to TV, only to instruct box to go to the program thereby virtually "switching screens."

Message 21 of 127
Tutor

I'm very upset with Direct TV & AT&T. I was a Comcast customer for years. I explained to the salespeople we wanted to be able to watch TV when at our weekend place. Both company's AND Tech service told us it could be done. So I switched to AT&T/DirectTV. I paid to have 2 trees removed for the dish to work, bought a new AT&T phone, new smart TV (as I was told I needed), bought 12' of HDMI cable (I was told I needed), bought an Apple adapter to go from the wire to the phone (I was told I needed) These two companies have cost me a few thousand dollars. Tech support told me I was being escalated to a higher engineer with a ticket # to fix this and now I'm told IT'S NOT POSSIBLE? As soon as I'm done with this contract AT&T & Direct TV is history. I'm going to post all of this on my & my business FB & Twitter so others don't get taken the way I've been.
Message 22 of 127
Teacher

I too had this working up until the latest update, I get a picture with the guide but do not have access to any programming.  This upsets me because we only want it for camping weekends. Seriously thinking of leaving AT&T after 20 Years. Very sad but, they have done nothing for me.

Message 23 of 127
Tutor

Agree! I'm on a contract with them for the next year, but as soon as I can get out of it, I'm done. I was very clear why we wanted Direct TV. It was for our weekends away. I switched my house phone, 2 cell phones and TV to AT&T. We're going back to Comcast and Verizon ASAP. I also found calling Direct TV you get a different answer each time! They all say it's going to the engineers but nothing gets done, so I'm done with them.
Message 24 of 127
ACE - Master

can anyone point out on the directv website where it says this is possible?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 25 of 127
ACE - Expert

@mdram4x4 wrote:

can anyone point out on the directv website where it says this is possible?

Of course, you won't find it anywhere on the DirecTV website because it's never been supported.  Not sure why it worked for some folks before.  

Message 26 of 127
Tutor

I'm thinking you work for the company. I know what I was told by numerous salespeople, installers and call in tech people. If it's not to be found written anywhere and others along with myself have been told this, that leads me to believe they are giving false information knowing they can deny it later just to rope in customers. That in itself is enough reason to drop this company like a hot potato. For you to defend that kind of thing, is upsetting at best.
Message 27 of 127
ACE - Master

its been posted here by att reps that it is not supposed to work.  that is what we are going by.

why sales and techs say it should is an unknown.

fyi, employees are labeled as such

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 28 of 127
Teacher

I do not work for the company. I have been an ATT customer for more than 20 years.
Message 29 of 127
ACE - Expert

@Drpozar wrote:
I'm thinking you work for the company. I know what I was told by numerous salespeople, installers and call in tech people. If it's not to be found written anywhere and others along with myself have been told this, that leads me to believe they are giving false information knowing they can deny it later just to rope in customers. That in itself is enough reason to drop this company like a hot potato. For you to defend that kind of thing, is upsetting at best.

None of us work for Directv or AT&T, this is a customer to customer forum. Sometimes employees (as shown with the "Employee" tag) post here, but are doing so on their own personal time.

Casting from phone or any other mobile device that uses the Directv app is not supported. To watch on TV you must pay for that authorized TV on the service, or use a individual network's app that supports streaming to TV (not all networks allow this).

Directv has had advertisements about "Switching Screens". Note this is NOT the same thing as tethering/streaming to TV, such as using Apple Air Play. The idea is your phone sends a command signal through the service to your directv box to tune to that program at the point in which you are watching. The end result is the TV getting the program from the satellite feed as normal, not streamed from the app itself. It is a feature I wish were better explained to avoid the confusion (from customers and agents alike), but also to prevent some sales people making the feature sound like something else to secure the sale.

Message 30 of 127
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support