Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

Tutor

Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

When I connect my iPhone app to my smart TV I’m getting a message  HDMI output not supported .  It worked fine up to last week.   I have a different TV app and that one works. I only get that message when using DIRECTV app . 

Message 1 of 127
Contributor

Let me set the record straight. The answers you're getting from ATT/DTV is crap.

This started because of the merging of accounts between the two. There is nothing wrong with the app. They know this. They know what the problem is too. It's an authentication issue created by the account merger. They also could easily fix it. Thousands have been impacted.

I'm an engineer and programmer. It's not hardware as everyone's phones didn't break at the same time.

It's not the app as it worked before the merging of my accounts and I had not upgraded my app version. I did afterwards and still have the same issue.

Apple devices give a error encountered message. Android devices give an error 0651 - Account not active.

ATT either does not want to fix it or they are deciding if they should, which will be determined by how many people pitch a fit.

They gave me a $24 credit. I want my account fixed instead. I requested an escalation to tier 2 or 3 support and they claim they don't have that. A lie if one was ever told. Rep did claim he escalated the case non the less. Still, no joy in my situation.

This is the truth people. Deal with it or not.

I'm Derrick Grayson, otherwise known as TMOT.

Message 31 of 127
ACE - Expert

You are talking about a different issue entirely. OP is trying to stream from his phone to the TV. It has worked for some people in the past but is now definitely not supported.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 127
Contributor

I think it has to be with apple as well because I was having the same issue , I switch over to a Samsung note 5 my old phone worked fine no issues

Message 33 of 127
Contributor

This is what drives me crazy, we already pay a butt load for their service and then they want to nickel and dime you for everything else!  I have an outdoor tv that I just put on my deck and would like to watch all my dtv programs on it like I do in the house and I either have to pay for ANOTHER box, which I already have 6 of them as it is, or I have to pay for the Directv Now app to watch tv on my deck!  I've had Direct TV for probably 20 years now but I'm seriously considering a change.  I had cable for so many years before that and switched to Direct because the cable company tried to charge me for everything under the sun back then!    

Message 34 of 127
ACE - Master

you can use the channel specific apps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 127
ACE - Expert

Directv service is designed to pay for each authorized TV on the service, which is from satellite. The Directv app was never designed to stream to TV, as this could allow another household to get free service, or possibly get around blackout rules set by professional sports (regulated by the FCC). So the app is a secondary perk, not meant to replace paying for an authorized TV.

If you have a Genie system (HR34, HR44, HR54), especially if you already have any Mini Genie Clients, you could see about getting a wireless Mini Genie Client (replacing a wired one if you have any Clients) so that you could move to the outdoor TV as desired without paying for an additional monthly charge. Be advised even if you have a free upgrade (if not free Client is $99 one-time lease), the wireless video bridge (WVB) that is wired in is an owned accessory which is $99. So after 14 months it has becomes the cheaper option. If you have the Genie-2 (HS17) though it has many downsides, one upside is the WVB is built in so you would just need the Client.

Not all networks allow streaming to the TV., but some do so they have their own individual apps that you use (with same Directv login). No charge for this as covered (provided channel is in your service of course).

If you want to watch on a TV either get a box for it so you pay for it authorized on the service, get a wireless Client to use the TV occasionally with no additional monthly cost, or individual channel apps depending on what you want to watch on the outdoor set. Sorry but you are not going to get a chargeable service from Driectv and avoid paying for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 36 of 127
Teacher

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am not looking to add an outdoor tv and not pay for it. I take the slogan of “Its your TV, Take it with you” literally.

We have a camping trailer that we don’t use enough. We are away from home and not using a service we are paying for. As an AT&T customer I am allowed to use the APP data free. We are only looking to watch news in the morning on a screen that we can both see as opposed to my (AT&T) iPad mini.

We will continue to huddle around this tiny screen while we talk to dish.
Message 37 of 127
Tutor

I was flat out lied to. We spoke at length why we were getting Direct TV. We have a weekend place we go to with no cable. Multiple people told us we could take our home phones, internet box and TV with us. We listened to how we could even be in a hotel and use it on the hotel TV if we chose. They told us it could be used on our TV. On their direction, we purchased a new smart TV, new cable wire, and new adaptor to connect the phone to the TV. I have nothing good to say about this company.
Message 38 of 127
ACE - Master

@Drpozar wrote:
I was flat out lied to. We spoke at length why we were getting Direct TV. We have a weekend place we go to with no cable. Multiple people told us we could take our home phones, internet box and TV with us. We listened to how we could even be in a hotel and use it on the hotel TV if we chose. They told us it could be used on our TV. On their direction, we purchased a new smart TV, new cable wire, and new adaptor to connect the phone to the TV. I have nothing good to say about this company.

you can use channel specific apps, but not the directv app

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 39 of 127
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 11:14 AM

You can take the "TV" with you. Essentially the service in different ways. The slogan does not promise you can stream the Directv app from the phone to a TV set.

Yes the advertisements is optimized for marketing, but carefully worded so that it is still correct info. I wish more agents would explain to customers that the Directv app is not intended to stream to a TV for the reasons I mentioned above. Only specific individual channel apps allow that. Directv is a service where you pay for TVs on your account and streaming options are smaller additional perks which are not for going to a TV set.

Tags (1)
Message 40 of 127
Contributor

If I take one of the several boxes from our home to the tailgate, can I successfully feed the iPad signal through it with the hdmi adapter to the TV? There are too many trees in our lot (I think) to get a reliable sat signal.

Message 41 of 127
ACE - Expert

@Macfoo26 wrote:

If I take one of the several boxes from our home to the tailgate, can I successfully feed the iPad signal through it with the hdmi adapter to the TV? There are too many trees in our lot (I think) to get a reliable sat signal.

No, that won't work.  The DirecTV box requires a satellite signal or it's just a boat anchor.  

Message 42 of 127
ACE - Expert

@Macfoo26 wrote:

No. The DirecTV app forbids sending the feed to another device. The box is only designed to receive service authorizations from satellite, not from another device.

Message 43 of 127
Contributor

Strike that question — I realize the DTV box needs a coax input. Is there a way to go lightning to coax?

Message 44 of 127
ACE - Expert

No, the DTV satellite box receives encoded satellite transmissions only.

Message 45 of 127
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support