Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct TV App and Apple HDMI adapter

Contributor

Direct TV App and Apple HDMI adapter

If you have Direct TV and AT&T unlimited Data you can stream your Direct TV through the App on iphone or ipad without it counting against your Data, correct?  Because it is my understanding that at 22 gigs it will be slowed down to the point that the streaming may not work. If you are traveling in an RV with no wifi available can you use an apple HDMI adapter which plugs into your phone or ipad and HDMI plugged into the TV can you then stream through the Direct TV App from your phone or ipad  and see it on your TV instead of having to watch on iphone or ipad?

Message 1 of 49
ACE - Expert

Re: Direct TV App and Apple HDMI adapter

No the Moblie DVR app doesn't support Airplay that the adapter uses.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 49
ACE - Expert

But to answer the data question, anything you stream through the Directv app on the phone does not count against that 22GB. By the way, your data might slow down after 22GB, it is not automatic. Some unlimited data customers have reported usage of 100GB with no slowdown.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 49
Contributor

The apple lightening digital AV adapter I want to use plugs into the iPhone or iPad with the lightening connection and on the other end of the adapter you connect a HDMI cable and the other end of the HDMI cable connects directly into the TV. There is also a USB port beside the HDMI port on the adapter so you can charge your apple device at the same time. This would be a direct connect not a wireless connection using AirPlay, correct? Wouldn't this work to play the direct tv app on the tv without wifi?
Message 4 of 49
ACE - Expert

@KarenR, that adapter also relies on Apple Airplay.  It doesn't work with the DirecTV App.  Hopefully some day. 

Message 5 of 49
Mentor

This is one of many reasons why I wont own an iphone. You can stream your DTV to the phone but it won't output the video to a TV. Audio works but video does not. My Samsung Galaxy S4 worked flawlessly streaming DTV to my TV using an MHL cable. My new phone, Galaxy S7 edge allows me to stream my DTV wirelessly to my DTV using the allshare cast dongle.

Message 6 of 49
ACE - Expert

@maxum3300 Don't blame the iPhone, blame the Directv app developers. Not enabling airplay was a choice, not a bug.

Message 7 of 49
Mentor

I'm not so sure it's an app issue. If that were true why would the app developers enable it to work on Android devices and not ios devices. My guess is Apple had some say in it.
Message 8 of 49
ACE - Expert

I'm sure it's an app issue. No one knows why they chose to not enable it on iOS but I can't imagine Apple having any say so. Why would Apple care?

Message 9 of 49
ACE - Expert

Apple historically is known to deny apps being put into their app stores without telling developers why. The intention is to prevent technical issues or exploits making into their store and by not telling them what the exact issue was they are not informing of a potential exploit they see. This keeps them more secure, but makes it difficult for app devs as they want to know what is wrong so they can fix it. Alternatively Android is open source so more dev friendly, but can be less secure if you are not carefull.

Message 10 of 49
Contributor

Yes you can. We do this in our rv without wifi because we have unlimited data. This adapter is awesome! I just hooked it up on my tv at home without wifi to make sure it still worked on the iOS 10.2, and it worked perfectly!
Message 11 of 49
ACE - Expert

@Kool4x4mom

Great that it is working for now. Just remember it is not supported so it could stop working at any time. Hopefully they will make it supported in the future, but unknown if that is an update issue or not wanting people to get around paying for service by streaming phone to tv.

Message 12 of 49
Contributor

Some adapters that are not "Apple", require it to airplay. The one I have is an "Apple" product and it just hooks your phone to an hdmi cable. I use it to watch my dvr, Netflix, hbo and other apps while camping in my rv. Hopefully it continues to working like it does because I love it!
Message 13 of 49
Contributor

How did you get it to work? I tried using the Apple AV HDMI adaptor from my iphone to my TV via HDMI cord and only got sound, no pic w/ live streaming. Please help!

Message 14 of 49
Contributor

how did you get it to work? I too get audio only while trying to stream Live TV from my iPhone via Apple AV HDMI adaptor??

Message 15 of 49
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support