Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV On Google TV or Amazon Fire Stick

Highlighted
Contributor

DirecTV On Google TV or Amazon Fire Stick

I currently have 9 directv receivers and I need to add another for a new TV. Rather than get a wireless directv rceiver I'd like to use either Google TV or the Amazon Fire Stick. Is there a directv app avilable for either of those? Alternatively do any smart TV's ship DirecTV ready with a built-in app?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 54
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎12-30-2015 12:40 PM

Re: DirecTV On Google TV or Amazon Fire Stick

No, there is no DirecTV app for Google TV or Amazon Fire.  

Some new LG, Samsung and Sony HDTVs provide an "RVU Client" feature that allows them to act like a Mini Genie client when you have a Genie DVR.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 54
ACE - Expert

RVU TVs still require a coax conection.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 54
Contributor

So, as of 7 months ago, there was no DirecTV app for the fire-stick,

(Although I do have it on my i-phone), has anything changed since then?

Are there plans to provide a DirecTV app for the Amazon fire-stick?

Message 4 of 54
Expert

Nope, nothing has change.

Message 5 of 54
ACE - Expert

Amazon and other steaming services are competitors so I doudt that DTV will ever have an app for them.

Message 6 of 54
Contributor

It would be nice if those of us who DO have DirecTV service could access on Demand services through Fire Stick when away from home.  Any plans to do this??

Message 7 of 54
ACE - Expert

@trixiernc, nobody here can answer that question.  Maybe when DirecTV's streaming service launches (DirecTV Now) they'll have an app for Amazon, etc. 

Message 8 of 54
ACE - Expert

Doubt it's going to happen. Maybe as litz says there will be a DirecTV NOW app for Amazon etc at some point.

Message 9 of 54
Mentor

There is a directv now app available on the amazon firestick however unfortunately directv now is a separate service that is not included with your dtv subscription like the standard dtv app is. I understand the whole competition thing with Amazon but since you have to be a dtv subscriber to use the dtv app why not make it available across all forms of streaming platforms?
Message 10 of 54
Contributor

i have a fire stick

Message 11 of 54
ACE - Expert

Directv (traditional satellite) - App is for mobile viewing only. Because of the requirments from channels to have accounting for how many tvs use the service, 3rd party streaming devices like Firestick, Roku, etc. are not allowed as a workaround to avoid paying for another tv connection in the home.

DirectvNOW - A new service, completely seperate from their traditional service. This is an internet streaming platform. As such it does support some media streaming devices with more potentially on the way. But this is expected to follow the streaming culture (limit on how many devices may be in use at once for example based on your subscription) and is completely dependent on your internet connection.

At this time both services are run independently of each other. As DirectvNOW just launched a couple months ago, it is possible in a couple years this may change after they see how the streaming service goes. Only time will tell, but I would not get your hopes up this year.

Message 12 of 54
Contributor

Yes, There an app on the firestick and for $35/mo you get most of their channels

Message 13 of 54
ACE - Expert

You can use many of the FireStick apps provided by networks that DirecTV Satellite provides.  No need to subscribe to DirecTVNow at $35/month.

Message 14 of 54
Contributor

Litzdog . . .  Could you be more specific please? Thanks!

Message 15 of 54
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support