Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DVR on the Go - it's HERE!

Community Support

DVR on the Go - it's HERE!

Presentation1.jpg

Are you traveling and have a long layover? Waiting on your doctor? Do you have DIRECTV service? If you do, keep entertained with the DIRECTV App and watch your recording wherever you go using the Mobile DVR!

What you can do:

• Download show from your DVR to your device
  • Stream recorded content from your Genie on a mobile In-Home or Out-of-Home(mobile data rates will apply*)

What you will need:

• Updated DVR firmware
  • Compatible client devices. Click here to learn more.
  • Compatible app – make sure to download the latest version of the DIRECTV app for your mobile device*
  • Compatible DVR Genie (HR44/HR54) or Genie Lite (H44 +HDD).
  • Active broadband service (dial up and Satellite internet are not eligible)
  • DIRECTV service. Don’t have it? We can help, just sent us a message.

Memory needed for downloaded programming on the device:

• 30-minute program uses approximately 300 megabytes
  • 1-hour program uses approximately 610 megabytes
  • 2-hour program uses approximately 1.2 gigabytes
  • If the video is over 6 hours long, content will fail to download.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 47
Contributor

Re: DVR on the Go - it's HERE!

Hoping after the conversation I had with Directv is fruitless. They phased out the app for Mac and PC. The funny thing is that my phone still uses the Geniego device to access my DVR and download shows. So, the device still works, but the Geniego app for computers doesn't. I don't see Directv creating a new app for laptops, rebooting the past version because truthfully AT&T is likely pushing people into things they sell......mobile devices. So, the older customers with Directv are now screwed.

Message 31 of 47
Contributor

Hoping after the conversation I had with Directv is fruitless. They phased out the app for Mac and PC. The funny thing is that my phone still uses the Geniego device to access my DVR and download shows. So, the device still works, but the Geniego app for computers doesn't. I don't see Directv creating a new app for laptops, rebooting the past version because truthfully AT&T is likely pushing people into things they sell......mobile devices. So, the older customers with Directv are now screwed.

Message 32 of 47
Contributor

HR34 is the original Genie, but it does say you have to have the HR44 or newer.  Problem is, i just got the HR54 on Tuesday, and still can't get it to work plus foshowsund out it doesn't work on a laptop at ALL.  Sucks, because the only reason I wanted the upgrade is so my son at college could watch our DVR'd shows and we could delete them sooner.  NOT HAPPY!

Message 33 of 47
Mentor

Directv/ATT really missed the boat on this "upgrade"!!

Message 34 of 47
Teacher

Nothing like upgrades that actually remove function.  Slower processing, will not connect to your other DVR's, and no onger supports PC's.  Nice way to make improvements.

Message 35 of 47
Tutor

I am still trying to "upgrade" from GenieGo to the new Mobile DVR nonsense. I spent a lot of time with customer service and had multiple devices shipped to me and then returned. I installed the new DVR today and still can't access playlists properly. They show up as 'watch on TV' for recent recordings but none are available to download. The app asks me if I want to register to the new mobile DVR device, but it fails each time. The customer support personell have no idea how any of this is supposed to work and keep reading from scripts that don't match the apps or the screen views.

I have a service call tomorrow to see if they can figure it out, but I am very annoyed with Directv right now, especially as replacing the old DVR lost all the recordings and season passes when I was told I would be able to cascade it.

I'm also concerned with the comment here that only the DVR Genie recordings will be downloadable when I was told all playlists would work, like the GenieGo...back to square one of why did they take away features that worked.

Message 36 of 47
Teacher

According to DirecTV this is an upgrade.  Not able to download from other DVR's, no PC support any longer and a conversion rate of 1 to 1 where GenieGo would like 3 to 1.  Yep I call that an upgrade.  They told me it gave all customers access now, but guess they did not care about the ones who actually paid for GenieGo and used it.

Message 37 of 47
Tutor

I finally got mobile DVR to work, at least as much as I can call this a working app. I had to delete the iPad app and reinstall, then I was able to activate the mobile DVR.

I am able to stream some of my existing playlists, but older recordings do not seem to be available. I am not sure if there is a time cut-off, but only fairly recent recordings seem to show up. 

I can download recordings only from the new DVR, which is the opposite of what I was told by customer service when I went ahead with this upgrade. The playback seems poor, from any tv shows I've tried so far. Like a bad YouTube video even when the show is in HD. 

Im especially annoyed since I replaced the main DVR in the house and was going to cascade it to an older one. When I set it up it reinitalized and I lost all recordings. But since I can't seem to download anything on second dvrs, I guess I was never going to get to watch them anyway. 

I've had DTV for 14 years, but I'm about done. 

Message 38 of 47
Expert

@tbsheri Correct, with MobileDVR you can only stream & download shows on the Genie, shows on other DVRs can be stream using MobileDVR as long as those shows are available via Video on Demand 

Message 39 of 47
Teacher

peds48 - you are confirming something we already know.  What we would like to know is why we've gone backwards. 

Why can't we watch dvr recordings on the pc ... when were able to before?  Is this going to be corrected?  If so - when?

I've been considering cutting the cord.  So much is available for streaming via the major services and it would save me alot of $$.  I know others that have done it and not looked back.  DirecTV removing some of my favorite features has me moving in that direction quickly.  Enough is enough.

Message 40 of 47
Teacher

Peds48, so how is that an upgrade? Reason I purchased the Geniego is I could download to my device where I did not have a connection. It also took away the PC app support. So I lost being able to download from my other DVR's and lost being able to use my windows tablet. So no upgrade for the long time DIRECTV customers it is a downgrade. Only good thing for me is I am no longer under contract have been a customer since 1997. Way to go.
Message 41 of 47
Tutor

I am upset by this downgrade, but even more so regarding the lack of accurate information from customer support.

When I called after receiving the email announcing the sunsetting of GenieGo the agent had no idea what I was talking about. She had no info about the email, or about the rollout of Mobile DVR. After a long call, I was told that I needed to upgrade my 'main DVR' to a DVR Genie but that my other DVRs would work fine with it. What I was sent was a Genie DVR and 2 "mini-genies"...when I called to ask why I received them and if they were needed, the agent had no clue except to keep saying I needed to "upgrade my genie..." Whether that was the DVR, the GenieGo device, etc...she had no idea. I eventually gave up and had her escalate to another level of support. They assured me I didn't need the minis and I would be sent a shipping label to return them, and to wait until they were returned before trying to install the new DVR Genie...because they didn't know if they were linked and would cause problems...2 weeks later I received 2 sets of labels, again after calling several times.

All of the above was frustrating, right up to yesterday's attempt to install and configure the new DVR...another long call without a resolution...but after more work on my part I got the Mobile DVR to "work" as it's designed, which is a very dissapointing take-away as others have mentioned.

So I now have to change the way I use DTV, recording anything I might want to stream or download to a device on the DVR Genie, and there is no way to use my Windows tablet or laptops. As others have said, each frustration brings me closer to "cutting the cord" instead of taking advantage of innovations I would have expected DTV would be coming out with.

Message 42 of 47
Expert

@Randomyzer I was actually replying to @tbsheri who was not sure if it app was working as designed.  Regarding your questions, only DIRECTV devs know the reason behind those, you wont find those answers here. You are barking at the wrong tree.

@tonyh2003 so how is that an upgrade?

Never said it was. you are centainly free to walk away if that is what you want to do.

Message 43 of 47
Contributor

We just had the Genie 2 system installed yesterday, but they failed to upgrade the LNB on our dish. We've had nothing but trouble. Now our Direct TV app's on our phones wont work and keeps saying it cant find a DVR. This whole Direct TV is s total joke. I'm calling Cable to see about switching back now.

Message 44 of 47
Scholar

Seams to me Directv have broken the contract.

Message 45 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support