Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can't connect Phone using Directv app to DVR

Tutor

Can't connect Phone using Directv app to DVR

I am no longer able to connect my Galaxy S8 phone to my Genie H54/700 DVR and have tried every recommended solution I could find on the forums.  Everything worked as it is supposed to until about 2 weeks ago.  Seemed to happen around the time Directv changed the user interface when watching.

I have confirmed that both my phone and DVR are connected wirelessly to my home wifi network.  I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone several times and am able to watch live TV on it as well as control my DVR as a remote control but cannot connect to set and download recordings.  When trying to register my device, it tells me it can't find my DVR and to check that both are on the same network.  I tried entering the DVR IP address manually and still unable to connect.  I also did a receiver reset to download the latest software update and reset my network configuration on it still with no luck.  I confirmed that everything is still enabled on the Genie to allow mobile access also.

If anyone has any other suggestions to try, please let me know.

Message 1 of 10
Mentor

Re: Can't connect Phone using Directv app to DVR

Are you getting error 212? If so DTV has Acknowledged the issue but no eta. I was one of those impacted by this and was able to register a few days back so maybe they are making changes on a per account basis.

Take a look at this thread 

Message 2 of 10
Tutor

I have not seen error 212.  I did get a software update from DTV on Sunday night but still having the issue.   Now it attempts to connect to the receiver for a couple minutes and then just says ' Unable to connect to receiver.  Please try again later (100)'.  Before the software update, it would allow me to enter the IP address manually but now it doesn't offer that as an option. 

Message 3 of 10
Teacher

Any fix for this issue yet?  Similar to others, my mobile app worked up until a few months ago. Now after replacing my phone and trying to register again it fails.  When i click the button it quickly says "activating" then "registering" and after about 30sec fails with "we couldn't connect to your DVR" (212). Same result if I enter IP address.   I see posts from 2016 recommending how to fix, but these steps don't make sense with newer software version on my Genie now.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Contributor

Same here, cannot connect to DVR. App has never connected from the beginning. I can see national networks, but local and DVR access is out. On same Wi-Fi as DVR.

Message 5 of 10
Contributor

Unfortunately I too am having the same problem with message: “We couldn’t connect to your DVR. Please try again. If issue persists try registering your device when it’s connected to your home internet network (212).”

But I am connected. Weirder still, I have a partial playlist of recorded shows (about 1/4 of them. I can also access national channels but nothing local. I’ve tried dozens and dozens of times. Very frustrating!

Message 6 of 10
Tutor

So does anybody have a solution yet? I've had the same problem since this summer! I even changed out my DVR and it is still happening. I can record shows and watch shows but if I am somewhere else I cannot watch my playlist remotely. It is very frustrating and every time I call DirecTV they cannot solve it. I have rebooted my DVR and reloaded this phone app multiple times and nothing seems to work. Every time I call DirecTV they act like I'm the only one who has this issue but when you go online you see others do as well. If anyone finds a solution please post it here I am desperate!

Message 7 of 10
Contributor

Been a Directv customer for probably 20+ years and this is ridiculous. Been dealing with this crappy app forever. To answer your question about a resolution... The only one is to switch to DISH Network unfortunately. Will need to look in to that myself.

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

I am having the Same problem. After being bounced around to being put on hold and then on the phone for 47 minutes I get told us wrong department they hung up on me. If anyone has an answer I would appreciate the help thank you

Message 9 of 10
Contributor

When do you think someone can help me with this.
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support