Helpful Links

Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

Teacher

Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

I just installed the new Direct TV app for Android and I cannot get it to connect and find my receivers.

I called Direct TV and they send me a Cinema Connect Kit.   I connected this but still have the same issue.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy 3) and receiver (HR24) are connected to the same Wifi network.  My receiver is also connected to the internet.

I can watch VOD content but not the live channels that are authorized to view.

When I tap the upper left corner of the app my phone is always "out of home" even though I am connected to my home network.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Message 1 of 51
Teacher

Re: Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

No one?

Does anyone actually have this app working for live TV on their home network for an Android?

Message 2 of 51
Expert

I do not have an Android, but I believe the "out of home" moniker indicates that you have configured the software for OOH use.

Message 3 of 51
Teacher

That sounds logical but it begs the question of how do you configure it for in home use?

This new app doesn't seem to have much in the way of options or manual configuration unless I am missing it.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.   At this point,  I think the app doesn't actually work.

Message 4 of 51
Contributor

Not exact same setup, but have it working on HR44 and Moto bionic. Only had it for a week, but connectivity seems a little flaky.

YOu could check if your samsung can 'see' the receiver with android app like netping

Message 5 of 51
Teacher

Yes,  I can ping the receiver and the cinema box from my phone using Net Ping.

I also use the app "Direct TV Remote+" which scans and detects all my receivers perfectly.

I really think there is something wrong with the app.

One thing I am going to try when I get home.  I have an ATT Uverse router.  It didn't do well for wireless so I set it up as a bridge and use a Netgear router for all my internal DHCP setup and wireless.  All of my receivers DNS settings are pointing toward my internal router rather than a server out on the net.  I'm wondering if they need to point to an external DNS ip address?

Message 6 of 51
Administrator

Just asking. You do have External Devices set to allowed in your receivers.

Message 7 of 51
Administrator

Even with them set to not allowed it still looks like they will be detected.

Message 8 of 51
Contributor

THe way discovery works with most apps DNS would not be involved. Bridging could if the devices are on different sub networks. Is the IP address of your samsung and hr24 in the same block? I.e 192.168.1.x

Message 9 of 51
Teacher

Yes, I have "allow" set on all the receivers under the setting External Devices.

Message 10 of 51
Teacher

Yes,  I have double and triple checked.  They are all on the same block.

One interesting thing I am seeing that might be relevant.  When I look on my router to "attached devices"  I can see my samsung and my cinema kit device but not the receivers.   But when I go to the receivers, they all have IP addresses in the correct range. (192.168.1.x)   Maybe the cinema kit gives out the IP addresses but doesn't allow them to be seen on the router it's connected to?

I didn't end up changing my DNS setting because I verified that my phone is also pointing to the same DNS. (Internal router (192.168.1.1)

Message 11 of 51
Administrator

In case you didn't know your receivers and information comes from your Directv Account. The receiver name shown on my App is Living Rm. Same as my on my Directv Account. In Whole Home it is Living Room. So sign into your Directv Account and see what it shows. If all looks good you may need to call Directv. You may also uninstall and re install to force you to login your Directv Account again.

Message 12 of 51
Administrator

One thing I don't understand is how Directv determines whether you are on your home network or Out of home. If I was to guess I would say it is by ip address. If I remember right your app shows as Out of home. If so have you tapped on no receiver or whatever it says.

Message 13 of 51
Teacher

I have to believe that the app compares your current IP address with the address of your receivers.  If they are in the same sub net, then you are "In Home" but that is just a guess.

Below are some screenshots from my phone.  In the first picture you can see the where it says "Out of Home" and below that "Receiver  No Receiver".   If I tap the "out of home" nothing happens.  If I tap "Receiver" then I get the message in the second screenshot.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-23-41_zpsb36210a3.png

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-26-02_zpsdb99abfe.png

Message 14 of 51
Administrator

Last night when I was playing around the ip address of my living room receiver got reset. The app still showed Living Rm when I tapped on it a screen came up asking me to physically enter the ip address. So this tells me that in some cases the app is able to locate the receiver. Did you login into Directv Account?  IF so did eveything look ok.

Message 15 of 51
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support