Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Alexa Integration with Genie 2 and Genie mini

Teacher

Alexa Integration with Genie 2 and Genie mini

When I ordered my DirecTV installation, I was under the impression that it was compatible with Alexa.  Now after installation, I learn that it is not.  Is there any information as to if and when Alexa skill will be fixed/updated to work with my devices (Genie 2 (HS17 and Genie Mini C41-100)?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: Alexa Integration with Genie 2 and Genie mini

Not sure where you got that information, but DirecTV Genie equipment is indeed compatible with Alexa ....

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Apps/DIRECTV-amp-Alexa-Control-Your-DIRECTV-Experience-With-Your/t...

Works fine with my HR44. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

As stated in my original message I have the newest Genie 2 (HS17) server and 4 C41-100 Genie minis.  I spent over an hour on the phone with Amazon as well as a couple hours on phone with DirecTV and still am unable to command DirecTV successfully with Alexa.  The main message is that when I ask Alexa to switch to a different channel she states that the channel is not available with my "provider" which is DirecTV.  Sometimes when I link my Alexa account to DirecTV the devices show up, but it says that they do not support Alexa video features and I can't select them.  Other times, especially when using the mobile Alexa app to do the setup they show up and I can select the one I want to control, but still not control.  I do have a complex home theater system and am thinking that something is my system is interfering with the Alexa commands, but I have disables things like my Harmony hub and still no joy. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Master

it will never work with the hs17, as that unit has no video out

maybe a newer mini would help it out.  i didnt even know they were still using c41's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

It's clear to me that people answering my post here are not understanding my complaint or do not have sufficient experience or knowledge to address my problem that involves Alexa support for the Genie 2 and Genie minis  Models HS17 and C41w respectively.  I understand that many people have had success with older DVR models and that's great.  My system was installed on February 18th and after many hours working on my own as well as several hours on the phone with Amazon and DirecTV support, I still have not been able to get my DirecTV C41 to respond to Alexa.

My frustration is that there doesn't seem to be any way to speak to someone at DirecTV support who has knowledge of or experience with addressing Alexa problems.

Can anyone here suggest a way for me to get in contact with the DirecTV Alexa support team, if there even is one?

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Master

alexa is one of those thigns they have, but really dont support via phone

its not integral to the service, its just a fluff peice

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 6 of 11
Teacher

The Alexa functionality was advertised in the material I received that helped me make my decision to sign up.  My wife has ALS and has lost the use of her arms and hands and Alexa was intended to provide her with the ability to control the TV with her voice.  

If they don't support it then they shouldn't be using it in their advertising as a motivation to purchase.

I will be contacting them to initiate the cancellation of my service.

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Master

you will still have the ETF, just an fyi

remember alexa requires the dtv receiver to be connected to the internet, and dtv receivers have horrible internet functionality.  this leads to issues with alexa, on demand, ect ect

Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by merehuman
‎03-03-2019 5:42 AM

You'll have much better Alexa integration with a Logitech Harmony Hub remote control setup.  That's what I use. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 11
Mentor

Don't waster your time. I spend months on this with both DirectTV and Amazon. Got the run around with both companies. If you search my name you'll see a long thread on the issues I have with my Genie 2 and Alexa Skill. It just doesn't work.

Message 10 of 11
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by merehuman
‎03-03-2019 5:43 AM

I have reluctantly resigned myself to accept that the DirecTV skill is not compatible with my Genie2/Genie mini C41 equipment and given up trying to get it working.  I fortunately have a Logitech Harmony Hub set up with my home theater system and after reading somewhere on this forum that another person got his to control direcTV I decided to pursue that.  I contacted Logitech support and within a half an hour had everything setup and working perfectly.  I should state that how you "Friendly Name" your devices and activities and the phrases you use are critical to successfully and consistently getting correct responses with Alexa.

I have been a huge fan of the Logitech Harmony Remotes for years and have always received outstanding support for any setup or functionality questions I have had.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support