Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: 2016 Rio Olympic Games on DIRECTV

Community Support

2016 Rio Olympic Games on DIRECTV

The 2016 Rio Olympic Games run throughout seventeen unforgettable days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion, and riveting moment beginning with the Opening Ceremony on August 4th and Closing on August 21st.

You can access the Rio Olympics in the following ways:

1. Online at NBCOlympics.com
    • Access NBCOlympics.com.
    • Click "CLICK HERE AND GET READY".
    • Select "AT&T DIRECTV" as your provider.
    • Enter your DIRECTV username and password (You are signed in throughout the Rio Olympic Games on the device).
  2. Using your Mobile Device or Tablet
    NBCUniversal offers two apps for mobile and tablet viewing:
    • The NBC Sports app is available to verified DIRECTV customers and offers the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com.
      DIRECTV customers can verify their mobile and tablet devices when the NBC Sports app launches.
    • The NBC Olympics News and Results app includes short-form highlights, schedules, results, and more, and also links to the NBC Sports app.
      Upon entering the app, DIRECTV customers must enter their AT&T username and password.

• The DIRECTV app also provides live coverage. The app is available to DIRECTV subscribers and can be downloaded at iTunes and Google Play.
  3. TV Channels
    • 4K: DIRECTV 4K customers can relive Rio Olympic glory in 4K Ultra HD. For the first time ever, customers can see select NBC Universal coverage of the best events in stunning lifelike clarity, 4 times the resolution of HD. DIRECTV 4K customers can find this coverage on channel 106 from August 5-21. 
      To view these events in 4K, a customer will need:
      • An HR54 Genie
      • Either a DIRECTV 4K Ready TV or a compatible 4K TV connected to an active C61K
      • Ultimate, Premier or Lo Maximo programming package
    • The opening and closing ceremonies in 4K will air on channel 106 an hour after the ceremonies start on the East Coast and two hours after they start on the West Coast. If 4K viewers don’t catch the opening ceremony on August 5, they can watch a replay of the 4K broadcast throughout the following day (August 6) on channel 106. The 4K broadcasts of these ceremonies will have different cameras and announcers than the HD feed of the ceremonies.
    • Some events will also be available to watch in 4K on channel 106 the day after the event occurs. The events that will be broadcast in 4K include judo, swimming, basketball and soccer.
    • On Demand: Much of the 2016 Rio Olympics content can be viewed On Demand via channel 1004.
    • TV Channels: NBC Family of Channels
      • Bravo – 237
      • CNBC – 355
      • Golf Channel – 218
      • MSNBC – 356
      • NBC Local Channel - See Local Availability
      • NBCSN – 603
      • NBC UNIVERSO (UVSOHD) – 410
      • USA – 242

Application – 205 and 600 (HD only)
    • Event rewinds – Watch the opening and closing ceremonies as well as the top events on demand on DIRECTV. In addition, you can rewind events with the NBC Sports app. And although technically not a rewind, you can view one event per day in 4K from the previous day's select 4K coverage starting Aug. 6, the day after the Opening Ceremony, through Aug. 21
  4. Interactive TV
    • DIRECTV customers can enjoy the Rio Olympics with the NBC Olympics TV Experience on DIRECTV, and watch up to eight channels at once. 
      DIRECTV customers have access to the NBC Olympics TV Experience, an on-screen interactive experience in partnership with NBCUniversal.   Subscribers can view real-time medal counts, access events by sport, events by date, and watch up to eight channels with the Olympics Mix. 
    • How to Access:
      • The RED button on the DIRECTV remote when the attract icon appears on a NBC Network 
      • Right Arrow on the Remote via the Olympics Apps
      • Channels 205 & 600 (HD Only)

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 45
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by ATTDIRECTVCare
‎08-04-2016 11:34 AM

For more information, feel free to check out our Support Site Olympics info

If you are experiencing issues with your viewing, feel free to reach out to us. We will be glad to help. Please send us a message by clicking here. Be sure to include your: Name, Account number, Phone number and the best time to reach you.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 45
Contributor

I am really upset that my family is unable to watch the Olympic opening ceremony tonight due to the local channel dispute with NBC in Boston. It has been going on for a couple weeks now and really didnt bother me that much until I just realized it will affect us watching the Olympics. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Direct Tv about this issue and still nothing was resolved. 

I have been with Direct Tv for 13 years and this makes me very angry! 

Kerry [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 3 of 45
Contributor

I really BIGGEST UPSETTING!!!! There no channel 7 Boston Areas.. I really want watch opening

ceremony. Kinda of I very disappiontment NOW! I had been with Directv for 3 years make me triple FRUSTRATION and FURYand not fair pay the directv each month for nothing . I love watch 2016 RIO OLYPMIC ....

Mr & Mrs Theresa A. ***** and David *****

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 4 of 45
Contributor

The Boston situation is horrible, I've been a customer for over 16 years and feel very let down. I have fios for my intent and am thinking about a quick switch so I can watch the remaining Olympics coverage. 

Sorry Direct

paulmoi 

Message 5 of 45
Highlighted
Contributor

solved??? what a disgrace and a lie, we can't watch the olympics on direc tv, i dont want to watch it in a phone, i want to watch it on my tv

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 6 of 45
Contributor

cheap bags u are going to have a river of people leaving because directv didnt want to pay so we can watch the olympics, 8 years as a customer but : if by sunday u didnt fix the situation Im going to quit direct tv

Message 7 of 45
Tutor

They closed their support tonight so they didn't have to deal with angry customers!!!!!!

Message 8 of 45
Contributor

I also spent a lot of time on the phone with DirecTV yesterday. They had no answers… Although I know others who enable to bad outside network of NBC. I'm in New Hampshire and I was able to  follow this link and add channel 392. For an additional $2.50 a month I can watch the Olympics. 

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4880022#h:573.999

i hope this works for others too! 

Message 9 of 45
Contributor

I'm sorry DirecTV you guys charge a pretty penny for your service, and you can't figure this situation out before an event that happens once every 4 years?  Suck it up and do what is right for your paying customers.  This is completely unacceptable

Message 10 of 45
Contributor

I have been with Directv for 14 years.... I cannot believe that Directv would obviously not pay NBC for the olympic coverage... I tried to get an explanation on the phone and that failed miserably... Be careful Directv -  you are close to loosing one of your longest subscribed customers....Ever since the presence of AT&T - service has suffered and I may be headed for one of your competitors for service....Tim 

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 11 of 45
Contributor

Under Interactive TV above, it says I can watch up to 8 channels at once with the Olympics Mix. I have a 65" TV, and I only see 4 channels. How do I get 8? I would assume my TV is large enough to view 8.

Message 12 of 45
Contributor

Just an FYI, Directv did not cut our channel 7, WHDH cut it off from Directv because WHDH wanted 2.5 times more than what they are currently being paid to broadcast. They KNEW it was right at the time of the olympics and KNEW it would anger a lot of people. 

We have been on the phone all night with Directv with multiple different agents trying to get the channel 392 (NBC East) and were told that we cannot add it to our line up because WHDH has to sign a waiver first allowing it. (Well, it depends on who you talk to anyway, the first 4 people we talked to said we can add the channel, but they can't do it and would have to transfer us to someone who can, and of course the last guy said we can't.) 

On another note, I guess this breaks our 2 year contract with Directv which will allow us to switch to another tv provider at no cost to disconnect. 

Message 13 of 45
Expert

@NoOlympics4Us2 the last agent was correct, under FCC law, DIRECTV can't provide access to the Distant Netwrok without your local approval.

On your second note, you can't be let out of your contract becuase of this.  It is on your contract with DIRECTV that you agree to, that DIRECTV has the right to change programming at any time.

Message 14 of 45
ACE - Expert

Sorry, but it doesn't let you out of your contract with DTV as they have the right to change their programing at anytime.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 45
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support