Explore & discover

Helpful Links

my original 2 year contract is up. I want to renew but not without getting prices back to what they

Highlighted
Contributor

my original 2 year contract is up. I want to renew but not without getting prices back to what they

I want to renew but not without getting prices back to what they were in the beginning. OMG  I have way fewer channels and alot more cost

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Master

Re: my original 2 year contract is up. I want to renew but not without getting prices back to what

call customer service, see if there are any credits you can get with a contract

if not, well then reduce the pack, remove rooms, ect until its what you want to pay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: my original 2 year contract is up. I want to renew but not without getting prices back to what

We all got to be new customers once.  It's not realistic to expect that you'll keep getting those same discounts/promotions forever.  That's not the business model used by most all TV service providers where they want to attract new customers.  Best case you might qualify for some equipment upgrades, but that will trigger a new 2-yr commitment.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

@mjha238

The nature of intro offers are a one-time deal. We don't get the price back to what is was the first year. That price was the "welcome basket", letting us try more variety to see what we were going to use for the long run. After that we arrange our package to the one that fits the best. Sometimes new discounts may be available as we continue our service, but not back down to 1st year cost. Many companies follow a similar practice of the extra deal when you start, but cannot afford to continually provide such an offer again.

Message 4 of 14
ACE - Master

there are actually people that change companies every 2 years, just to keep getting intro costs

too much of a hassle imho

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

There is no contract renewal once it is over you are month to month.  The only time you go back under contract is if you move or get an upgrade or agree to it in return for discounts.

Message 6 of 14
Contributor

I guess customer satisfaction can be added to the list of things that no longer exist in the World.  What a joke.

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Master

right.  customer satisfaction is horrible because they wont lower your rates. got it.

have you tried this with your electric company? cell company, ect?

please do and report back

Message 8 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by mjha238
‎04-03-2018 6:24 PM

@mjha238

Customer satisfaction does not mean keeping rates that long term would be continuous loss for the company. Networks charge TV providers like DirecTV a lot to carry them. They aren't cheap. Intro offers are a short term special for the reasons I explained. Nobody goes back to their intro rate, which is a discount on the regular cost. Regular costs exist because the networks are expensive.

Try expecting your local gas station to give you your starting price back and you would find yourself severely disappointed.

Pay TV is an optional entertainment service. If you cannot afford it, or simply are irked because you don't set the regular cost, then review your services. Packages have changed over the years, including what channels are in them. There is now Preferred Xtra for those who watch little to no sports. See what optional services you may have and decide if you use all of them are not.

Certainly ask DirecTV if your account might qualify for any discounts, possibly with accepting a service agreement. Just remember, discounts are a nice perk when they are there but are not always available. Sometimes we have to pay close to, if not the actual regular cost of our service. 

Customer service still exists, it just doesn't change that the business has to set the price, not you.

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 14
Contributor

That is lame.  You are making a profit each year in some way no matter what, especially a company as big as yours.  You are not saying anything about the fact that other companies are going to give me a lower price to get my business and then they have to spend the time and money to install and maintain a new customer every other year as you do because of this.  

It seems if that all of the advertisements and labor and equipment, setting up of the new account again.........., etc. and keeping your customers year after year and gaining more new customers in the meantime to increase the volume rather than the increase of premiums would make happier customers and still meet your bottom line.  

That is if your product is good and superior to the other products out there.

That leads me to think that your or anyone else's product for that matter is better than the next one.  So improve the product and your loyalty to your customers and you will do just fine. 

Message 10 of 14
ACE - Master

the purpose of any company is to make a profit

add in stockholders, and that profit must be as large as possible

every  company has an intro offer that expires

you can switch every 2 years if you like, there are people that do that

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Bilbo48

A big discount to attract a small set of new customers is cheaper than giving a big discount to a large number of existing customers. It is to attract business and be the welcome basket. Intro specials are a one-time deal.

Sometimes discounts might be available for us existing customers. But it should not be expected to be the same as the intro rate. And certainly never rely on discounts to afford your bill. It is a luxury service after all, not a requirement of life. If you don't like the cost, reduce service within your budget or try somewhere else. Just remember starting cost will not be your long term cost so check what the regular price will be after your discounts end.

No "we" are not making a profit here as we are customers like yourself. But DirecTV like other TV providers are a for-profit business, including profit for their shareholders, not a charity. You want it, you pay for it.

Telling how they will do fine as business by doing what you tell them is not realistic. They have made choices that grew them into the nationwide provider they are today. If you are the expert perhaps you should create the same service and show them how it is done?

Message 12 of 14
Contributor

Juniper (ACE - Expert)

Good luck with that, I have been switching companies for years and will continue if folks like you are willing to pay and lose customers that is your choice!!

That is very poor customer service and it is not the way I was taught to treat a customer or to make money.

I guess I'm too "Old School"!

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Bilbo48

TV providers pay the networks a lot of money. Then there is also the investment in future products, maintaining the service, etc. So the regular price is to cover all that cost with some profit. Just because you do not feel you should pay regular cost, doesn't make it poor customer service. Seems that "old school" is to demand you are entitled to pay lower than what the service is worth, which feels more like a "millennial" thing.

They are not treating you poorly. They are just not caving in to your demands for a cheap cost. DirecTV is on the high end of TV providers. You are not going to get your luxury car at economy car prices.

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support