Explore & discover

Helpful Links

is this a scam

Highlighted
Contributor

is this a scam

I received this text from supposedly Direct TV:

Valued customer,

DIRECTV brings 50% discount on your existing bills, so call at 866-794-8785 before the offer expires today.  PROMO CODE "DTV856" Stop2end.

Is this another scam?

Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: is this a scam

It sounds like a scam to me. I would call back at 1.800.531.5000 to inquire about any promotions. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

Right anything that expires today is suspect.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Scholar

Yes, according to the article linked below, it is a known scam:

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Does-that-cable-TV-offer-sound-too-good-to-be-true-It-is-508958151...

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not send promo offers by text. You call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or go to www.directv.com and log into your account to check on what is available.

The "urgent" text message is a very common type of scam these days.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support