Explore & discover

Helpful Links

directv changed my local channels on 8-1-18 in Lafayette IN

directv changed my local channels on 8-1-18 in Lafayette IN

We've had directv since it came out 20+yrs ago and have had Indianapolis channels.  we live in 47905 zip code and now Lafayette IN has star city broadcasting which comes out of Arkansas with local commercials. The news video quality is worse than a teenager old smart phone, the local newscast are the same people on all 3 network channels. just brutal.

what can I do, i have called several times for a couple of hours at a time and they say they'll take care of it but they never do

comcast is not available and they tried the same channel switchero but their customers complained and they switched back to Indy channels

Message 1 of 29
ACE - Master

Re: directv changed my local channels on 8-1-18 in Lafayette IN

directv provides the stations with the rights to your DMA

they dont control who has the rights, or what they show

can you verify what stations are in your DMA?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29

Before 8-1-18
After 6am 8-1-18

Message 3 of 29

Before 8-1-18

After 6am 8-1-18

Message 4 of 29
ACE - Master

call letters, numbers mean nothing

this is what whiki has your four dma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lafayette_IN_TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 29

That is what I have now.
Am I powerless to get the Indy channels along w/the DMA channels?
Comcast here has both because of customer complaints
Message 6 of 29
ACE - Master

that would be up to the stations/fcc to have them declared significantly viewed

Message 7 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎09-05-2018 2:35 PM

The FCC determines what locals are in your DMA,  DTV and all other providers can only give you whats in your DMA

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 29

Thank you for the quick responses even though I don't like the answers.
So my service address zip code is 47905 and if you do the neighboring local channels thing, it will show Clinton,
Carroll, and Tippecanoe counties. I live in Tipp. On several (5+) of my chats with DTV support, they have said they're changing my county to Clinton or Carroll to allow me to get Indy channels - but it will take 24hrs to happen. They're just trying to get off the phone/chat with me as each one has promised it will solve the problem - correct?
Message 9 of 29
ACE - Master

they should not alter your county, if you dont live there

if your in the county they move it to its all fine, if not its technically not fine, and the stations that have the rights to your actual area could raise a fuss with the fcc.

have you tried an antenna to get the locals you want?

Message 10 of 29

I live over 50 miles from Indy plus too many trees
Its just that the quality is so bad (like from a mom's basement) and my wife commutes to Indy so we have no traffic/weather info
Message 11 of 29
ACE - Master

well, contact the fcc see if they can get them

you can go here

and see there are petitions

https://www.fcc.gov/media

Message 12 of 29
ACE - Professor

Changing counties is very risky, the system usually won't allow the csr to change counties successfully. Have you tried connecting an ota antenna to your tv? Ota (over the air ) broadcast are free and always have been you'd be surprised to see how many locals an antenna can give you provided your close enough to the broadcast towers with no obstacles like hills,  mountains etc..

Message 13 of 29
Highlighted
Former Employee

Display Info For DORIS/RI

LOCAL CHANNELS SUMMARY SCREEN
Zip Code: 47905 County: TIPPECANOE Market: Lafayette IN

In this market, HD (MPEG-4) equipment is required to view locals whether or not the customer's TV is standard definition or HD.

Local
Channel
Affiliate Network SD
HD
16WPBI-LPFOX √ 
17NBCNBC √ 
18WLFICBS √ 
35WPBYABC √ 
65PBSPBS√  

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS/LOCAL CHANNELS

Receiver:DIRECTV MPEG 4 Capable Receiver
Dish:KaKu Satellite Dish (example: Slimline)
Satellite Position:99

Local
Channel
(multi-sat
receivers) Affiliate Network
16WPBI-LPFOX
17NBCNBC
18WLFICBS
35WPBYABC
65PBSPBS
If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 14 of 29
ACE - Professor

@tgreaves, I know exactly where you're getting that info, and it's proprietary info meant for directv personnel only,  are you sure you have permission to copy and paste That? 

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support