Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 429

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

Public service announcement...every time I post something about litigation a DirecTV rep removes it immediately!?!?
Message 16 of 429
Contributor

ATT DTV AND AMAZONE.com scam

Two days ago I was contacted by a person by telephone who was using the normal number for direct tv. This person offered me a deal of a life time which would have lowered by bill to $70.00 a month with all the premium channel included locked in for 2 years. All I had to do was to pay for the first 5 months, a total of $350.00, up front using a Amazon E gift card. These people knew my account number, what services I had my name and address. Like I said they also used the normal direct tv phone number. The whole thing was a scam. I tried to report this to the ATT Fraud department. I was transferred from one customer service number to another but never got through to the fraud department.
So here are my questions: How were these people able to get my account information? How were they able to use the Direct TV. Customer service line? Why is it so hard to report this type of fraud to AT&T? Does anyone at AT&T even care?
Message 17 of 429
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT DTV AND AMAZONE.com scam

They where probably spoofing the DTV number as to the account info I have no clue but with all the data sifting programs around its not that hard.

Anytime they ask you pay with a non traceable method like giftcards or western union hang up it is a SCAM!!!.

You can try sending a PM to @ATTDIRECTVCare.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 429
Community Support

Hi @Dscott471,

We can look into this further. PM us with your full name, account #, and a good contact #.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 429
Community Support

@Dscott471,

Keep an eye out for an email. We will be contacting you shortly. 

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 429
Contributor

I need to speak with someone concerning fraudulent activity surrounding my Direct TV account

I was recently contacted by phone from someone that had my Direct TV account number, name and address.  This person, then continued to make me an offer to cut my Direct TV bill literally in halfb along with adding additional services. On the condition that I purchase an Amazon Gift card.  I purchased the gift card and did not receive the services also, the gift card was not redeemed until recently.  I have contacted Amazon but have had little luck getting Direct TV to respond. 

Help!!

Message 21 of 429
ACE - Expert

Re: I need to speak with someone concerning fraudulent activity surrounding my Direct TV account

Anytime they ask you to use a non traceable method of payment like a gift card IT IS A SCAM HANG UP.  With all the data sifting programs out there it is easy to get that info. You need to call/chat with DTV as they will not call you and there is not much they can do about these scams except warn people about them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 429
Contributor

Is the amazon and direct tv true or a scam?

is the amazon and direct tv true or a scam

Message 23 of 429
ACE - Expert

Re: Is the amazon and direct tv true or a scam?

What the lower price for a amazon gift card?  YES IT IS A SCAM ANYTIME THEY ASK YOU TO PAY WITH A NON TRACEABLE METHOD IT IS A SCAM HANG UP!!!!!!

Message 24 of 429
ACE - Expert

Re: Is the amazon and direct tv true or a scam?

If you receive an offer that requires you to pay with a gift card from Amazon or another branded gift card, that is a scam, not by Directv or Amazon. If you are on Amazon's website and looking at offers, Amazon has been a 3rd party retailer to sell Directv products, but I would reccomend to contact Directv 1-800-531-5000 to discuss offers.

Message 25 of 429
Contributor

I too received these spam calls. One thing that I think is telling is that they had my Directv account number. I have NEVER given out my account number. I have paperless billing. I didn't even know my account number without looking it up. I would love to hear a reasonable explanation as to how a scammer has ny name, address, phone, and Directv account number without there being some type of data breach?

Message 26 of 429

They outsource the work to other countries. Those employees in turn sell (or keep for themselves) our information ...
Message 27 of 429
Contributor

I received a call from these scammers today.  I too am very UPSET that my DirectV infomation was leaked.  I am also UPSET that AT&T have not notified their customers concerning this scam.  I will call my local news station to report this scam.  At least they will broadcast this scam to the local viewers.

Message 28 of 429
Tutor

How these low-lives get our information is anyone's guess. We know why they are doing it .  I called Direct TV to let them know that there were scammers about, the agent could not understand what I was trying to say but she was extremely persistent on telling me about their promotions and not for one second, was she interested in what I was trying to tell her. But what I ,for the life of me ,cannot understand is why Direct TV hasn't told their customers about this scam. So the way I feel right now, is that if they don't want to listen to their customers or even assist their customers in the event of a scam, well then BUGGER them,I can't wait for the contract to end.

Message 29 of 429
Contributor

I too was a victim of this scam.  Is there any way to get credit for our loses?

Message 30 of 429
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support