Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 429
Contributor

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

I got the call this AM. The only reason I answered, is that my ID showed the Direct TV phone number. An Indian sounding gentleman gave me the promo details and the reasons behind this great deal so I said sure. Another gentleman came on the phone to clarify the deal and give me a promo code. After the call ended I decided this was too good to true so I started calling ATT and DTV. The ATT  promo dept. put me on a permanent hold which I eventually hungup and the DTV rep kept sending me to their gift card service dept. I like ATT and DTV but its like they don't care. I was going to contact Amazon, since they were named in this scam, but there is no phone number listed on their website.

Message 46 of 429
ACE - Expert

When they ask for any untraceable method of payment like gift cards, western union or monygram HANG UP IT IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 429

Same story today from Sunny Florida.  Scammer today was calling from India, acknowledged it was a scam in a weak moment, and told me he had to do this to have a job and feed his family.  What bullcrap!.  Initial call today came over a line that was at one time used by a moving company in Alabama.  It then switched on caller ID to show Directv 800-531-5000.  I called and talked to several different people at Directv this afternoon with NO satisfaction.  The premise for this scam from India or wherever they are based requires current personal account info from Directv and access to telephone lines with specific numbers.  Directv claims they do not sell or provide account info to any outside company.  This current personal account info had to come from Directv, one way or another.  As this scam has continued for over one year, I suspect either the Directv site for account payments is not secure, or they are getting this info from an insider.  AT&T and Directv just don't seem to be interested in shutting this down.  They could.  I was called by this same group 6 months ago, the day after I placed a move order, and they used the same moving company from Alabama phone number back then.  The phone number you call with the magic code once you purchase the Amazon gift card appears to be the same number as earlier.  I complained to Directv back then.  Today, I attempted to talk with the Directv legal department without success.  What Bullcrap  When these scammers are using the same Alabama telephone number and the same "Directv billing department" call-back number for these many months, it certainly appears AT&T and Directv are making minimal efforts to protect their loyal customers from this fraudulent scam.  The excuses I heard this afternoon from Directv were unbelievable.  My frequent requests today to speak to a manager or the legal department at Directv went on deaf ears.  The Directv reps I spoke to this afternoon were either in the Philippines or Mexico.  I was transferred back and forth multiple times.  I was unable to speak to any Directv employee here in the States.

Message 48 of 429
ACE - Expert

It is easy to spoof caller ID and the US nor DTV can stop people in another country (if they really are) from stealing from you all they can to is report it to that country and maybe they will do something.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 429
Contributor

Same thing happened to me today, but I work in IT and I am suspicious of any caller especially when it sounds too good to be true.  However, as a few of the posters said, they do have your account number and address and know your monthly payment so a less suspicious person can easily fall for this scam. I have never divulged this information either on a phone call or online. So it's very suspicious that they have this information. And yes, they are spoofing DirecTV's caller ID. And I called the 888 number and it sounds very similar to DirectTV's customer service but there are minor differences which I noticed. For example, it does not automatically recognize the number you are calling from, and it does not give the option for Spanish speakers. The legitimate DirectTV customer service line does both, and asks if the number you are aclling from is associated with your account. I guess they are not that sophisticated as yet. I agree with the other posters that DirectTV should at least do like what other companies do: assure their customers that a representative from DirectTV will never call to sell a promotion and request payment immediately. DirectTV/ATT were either breached in some way or it's an inside job. I'm thinking it's more of an inside job probably from a service center in India.  As an IT professional familiar with cyber security, that's my guess. And by the way, as I sit here typing this post, I just got another call from DirectTV's "billing and promo" department. If it's one thing, they're persistent.

Message 50 of 429

Agree with bachma0507's comments.  Sure sounds like inside sharing of Directv customer's private account information, regardless of how it happens.  I understand the comments also of shannon02, particularly regarding actions in another country.  What I don't understand is why US-based Directv has not filed a complaint or charges or whatever you want to call it to block the use of the US-based telephone number [at one time was used by an Alabama moving company] that is used by these scammers for illegal or fraudulent activity; the use of a US-based telephone number to repeatedly attempt to deceive Directv customers.  Here in Florida, we frequently hear on our local TV news about the efforts of our attorney general to close down the scammers of senior citizens.  What is Directv doing to work with the Florida and Alabama Attorney's General to close down the repeated use of this telephone number to scam seniors?  Yes, I understand they can easily get another line to use in their scam activity, but why should they when it appears Directv is not overly concerned.   

Message 51 of 429
ACE - Expert

They are using a spoofing program to add those numbers to show on Caller ID they can use any phone anywhere in the world to call the US and those number will show in the caller id.

Message 52 of 429
Tutor

Direct tv could careless the fraud department is a joke it's not there problem if you loose 300.00 maybe if they start loosing customers and go to spectrum tv they may look into it
As long as they do not loose money from direct tv who cares about the customer several calls made to fraud department like talking to children10 years and younger
Message 53 of 429

shannon02 - You seem to have an answer for just about every post on every topic.  I'd love to know how a spoofing program works.  Does the telephone call come directly to me from India, and shows on one of my caller ID's as the Directv customer service number, while it also shows up on a second caller ID as a number out of Alabama?  How does the Alabama number come into this process?  Is this Alabama telephone number/line an integral or necessary part of the spoof? 

Message 54 of 429
ACE - Expert

Yes they put in what ever number they want to show on Caller ID and it minics the Caller ID proccess when they call you and it displays the number they want on your phone. Have no idea about how the movers number comes up unless there is a bug in the spoofing program.

Message 55 of 429

shannon02 ..... I appreciate your response.  My cell carrier is also reviewing this process, as they are also showing only the Directv customer service number when they trace back the 13 calls I received yesterday and the several more from today.  I did speak with a different person at Directv late this afternoon.  This "supervisor" indicated there could well be an internal "investigation" as to how these scammers are able to access Directv current account status and details.  Setting aside the spoofing issue, the scammers must have a rather sophisticated method of tapping into the dynamic Directv "secure" customer data base ...... or there are one or more participants in this scam who are employees of Directv ..... or both.  

Message 56 of 429
Mentor

Scams are happening all the time and they come up with new ones every single day.  The second something doesn't sound right, hang up.  And never, EVER, give any personal information or CC info to someone that calls you.  That's a rule of thumb that is concrete.  

Why doesn't DirecTV/AT&T warn its customers?  Again, there are new scams being thought up every day, and too many and too often to be notifying everyone of any and all of them.  People simply need to be diligent.  If someone gets nailed with one of these scams, they are simply ignorant of what goes on in this day and age.  

Message 57 of 429

Gabe sounds like you're trying to shift the blame back on the customer. Yes there are different scams out there, however the scam everyone speaks of in this forum is the same.

It is DIRECTV's obligation to warn its customers. The only reason they won't do so is because that admits guilt and liability!!!
Message 58 of 429
ACE - Expert

@mossderrick71 wrote:
Gabe sounds like you're trying to shift the blame back on the customer. Yes there are different scams out there, however the scam everyone speaks of in this forum is the same.

It is DIRECTV's obligation to warn its customers. The only reason they won't do so is because that admits guilt and liability!!!

And I suppose they should also warn their non-customers?  No.  People need to excercise simple cautions.  Unfortunately, I now have to assume that anyone who calls me is a crook trying to steal my money until proven otherwise.

Message 59 of 429

Easily ?  That's distressing.

Message 60 of 429
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support