Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
Contributor

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

I was just called from the Direct TV 800 number (1-800-531-5000) and was told the man worked for Direct TV and I qualified for a promotion package. He went into the specifics of what the promotion entailed but I told him I wasn't interested in changing my package or plan, that I would like to leave my account as it was. I had already dealt with Direct TV numerous times in the past month getting my account set up accurately and didn't want to mess with it and possibly mess anything up. I had actually been awaiting a call from Direct TV to set up an appointment time so the tech can install my new program and had thought that this call would be regarding that. Once I told this man I wasn't interested, he then literally assaulted me over the phone and told me some despicable things. I understand that this is more than likely  a scam and not affiliated with At&t or Direct TV however I am very disappointed in this situation. This needs to be handled ASAP because what was just said to me is inexcusable regardless of the circumstances. At this point, I am pretty fed up with Direct TV!!!! 

Message 376 of 432
Mentor

Sooooooo...
If you are the telephone provider and these are your lines, seems to me
they can track it to the source. Let me or you do this and the feds will be
knocking on our door. From all ive read and posted, still seems like and
inside job. AMAZON is just as guilty. We tell its a scam. They can track
the card. But wont teack the delivery. And you can not twll me these people
are using a different address for each delivery.
Message 377 of 432
Mentor

They have both put a bad taste in my mouth.
Message 378 of 432
ACE - Expert

@sorry1 wrote:
Sooooooo...
If you are the telephone provider and these are your lines, seems to me
they can track it to the source. ....

You should read up on how Caller ID spoofing works. There's no way to track these down.  Most likely they're not even based in the US.  And it's not just AT&T/DirecTV that gets scammed like this.  It's become all too common.  Seriously, it's time for the federal government to step in.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 379 of 432
ACE - Expert

How is anyone going to stop someone from spoofing any business number and calling you?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 380 of 432
ACE - Expert

One would assume that they are using Voip and VPN so that it almost impossible to trace.

Message 381 of 432
Former Employee

@shannon02

Saying VoIP would be correct. Very same setup that the "anti virus tech scammers" use. 

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Message 382 of 432
Mentor

True to a point. BUT if I call you. And the authority want to find out, the
get phone records. You can not tell me that the global ATT can NOT find out
where these call are coming from. Rather overseas or in the states. AND as
I said, AMAZON can track the purchase. And even if it's a PO BOX, it can be
tracked. You are giving excuses. For all that read this, let's find and
address where we can send our complaints. Post it on all our social media
site. Maybe we all can get help. MAYBE, the authority can get ATT/AMAZON to
do something about it.
Message 383 of 432
Former Employee

Unfortunately Amazon and Directv are innocent parties here just like yourself. Nor Amazon or Directv asked you to buy and distribute any giftcards. These scammers don't have you send them the physical card. They have the "user" scratch off the code and read it to them over the phone. Amazon won't disclose any information about who used the card or what account it was used on unless there is a court order in place forcing them to do so. Part of a privacy policy.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 384 of 432
Mentor

You are so right. With all these companies using foreigners at their call
centers, and the NAME of the company comes up on your phone, because you
have them programmed in, and they know ALL your information, how do you
know it's a scam. I guess you know more than us all. So since you know so
much, tell all the people that read these emails, and get scammed, where to
go.

PS

Who's to say that this thread is not a scam? Just not sure about the
people that has so much doubt to say, BUT DO NOT HAVE AND ANSWER.

Message 385 of 432
Former Employee

@sorry1

Prior to working for Directv, I used to be a Customer Service Manager at a Walmart. I often would have to explain this same thing to customers daily attempting to purchase Money Grams, iTunes/Amazon cards and various other untraceable payment types. No legit company will every ask you to pay a bill with a gift card to lower your rate.

The IRS phone scams also take place on the norm, The true IRS have yet to be able to stop these people yet, what makes you think Directv can stop them?

Message 386 of 432
Tutor

Yes...it would be nice if all these comments and complaints would bring it to their attention. At least the IRS post radio ads saying they will never call you requesting info or threatening you. I have seen nothing from AT&T saying they are NOT offering specials or promotions concerning an Amazon gift card. This is pretty big and these scammers have gone as far as to seemingly hijack AT&T's phone SYSTEM!!!! I called the number back and could access my account info...due date, last payment...etc.!!!

Message 387 of 432
Former Employee

VoIP/phone spoofing allows them to do that. It's not hard to even spoof your phone number to be the same number as you are dialing. that way when you call the number back it seems real. It's a way they mask things.

If you do a simple google search. AT&T and all its sub companies have been warning customers.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS802US803&ei=4-SPW-WbFouG0wKdo7mQBQ&q=at%26t+warning+ab... <-- just a simple search for at&t warning about scams advert

Message 388 of 432
Tutor

So when you call that number back and it IS AT&T...you can access your account etc. and an employee tells you it is legit?? That happened

Message 389 of 432
Former Employee

I'm not going to lay out step by step how to phone spoof, there are enough how to videos out there on google or youtube that will do that. Try it yourself sometime. Start small and work up. Just going to mention phone spoofing is ILLEGAL and that if you do it and get caught you are solely responsible. Me nor anyone else on this medium including AT&T and sub companies can be held responsible for your actions.

Message 390 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support