Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
Tutor

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

I to am surprised that some lawyers have not seized the opportunity to sue Directv,Amazon, and AT&T. Their names are always associated with these scams. I fell victim to one two years ago. And, I occasionally still get calls (if you can believe that) about the same scams. Something really needs to be done.
Message 421 of 432
ACE - Expert

@adkdville wrote:
I to am surprised that some lawyers have not seized the opportunity to sue Directv,Amazon, and AT&T. Their names are always associated with these scams. I fell victim to one two years ago. And, I occasionally still get calls (if you can believe that) about the same scams. Something really needs to be done.

As are hundreds of other companies. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 422 of 432
ACE - Expert

That is because the first scammer sold you name to other scammers so you are now a good mark.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 423 of 432
Tutor

I'm with you!
Message 424 of 432
Highlighted
Contributor

This is still going on in 2019.  The call center is in Pakistan. They are able to hack into the pay -by-phone system, so never enter your account or anything into the automated system.

Never pay with any kind of card you must purchase because it's not traceable. The real Direct TV or ATT will always accept your Visa or mastercard, which protects you against scams. 

Message 425 of 432
Mentor

I understand that you think red flags is the giveaway BUT when the ID comes
up on your phone as the same number you use to call ATT/Direct TV, you
think it's legit. Second to this, AMAZON know exactly what the card was
spent on and where it was delivered. They don't reimburse the card with
cash. On top of that, if people call in to tell them about the fraud, with
the information, they can put and end to delivering product to that
address. So you do have some points, but AMAZON can help. And ATT can track
the number
Message 426 of 432
ACE - Expert

@sorry1 wrote:
I understand that you think red flags is the giveaway BUT when the ID comes
up on your phone as the same number you use to call ATT/Direct TV, you
think it's legit. Second to this, AMAZON know exactly what the card was
spent on and where it was delivered. They don't reimburse the card with
cash. On top of that, if people call in to tell them about the fraud, with
the information, they can put and end to delivering product to that
address. So you do have some points, but AMAZON can help. And ATT can track
the number

Nope, I don't consider it legit, even if it's their Caller ID.  Anybody can spoof any caller ID these days.   Just don't trust ANY of these calls anymore!

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 427 of 432
ACE - Expert

Amazon has no clue were the gift card number came from or where it was used, it is the same as cash.

Message 428 of 432

Despite Directv denials, I believe Directv accounts information were compromised/hacked and Directv has an obligation to warn all Directv customers.  Received emails and phone calls trying to hack me include my Directv account number.  Additionally, they recite the exact amount of my recent Directv bill payments.  After insisting talking to a Directv supervisor, RB or Arby told me Directv believes it is an inside fraudulent job, but assure me they will investigate.  As of this time, no one called me back after our phone conversation.

Message 429 of 432
Contributor

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 430 of 432
Tutor

Is this regarding the Direct TV/ Amazon scam??
Message 431 of 432
Contributor

It's 3 years later, July 18, 2019, and I just got this call.  They were giving me ALL my current services (fastest internet, landline) along with all channels on DirectTV--HBO, Showtime, NFL Channel -- all for $99.  All I had to do was pay $300 by 9pm tonight.  Thought I would research before I called the number!!!

Message 432 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support