Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
ACE - Expert

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

@60Falcon wrote:

They are posing and using the name AT&T and Amazon and EBAY. Why haven't you guys attempted to prosecute them?  They are a slander to your name and service. Not to mention the fact that they are thieves.

Curtis

Have you read this thread?

Of course companies like AT&T and Amazon try to stop these scammers.  But it's impossible.  Most aren't even in the USA.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 406 of 432
Tutor

Of course I have read your thread. I have been a long time AT&T, & Direct TV, for a long time. I just wanted to let you know that I think it is worth perusing prosecution for these thieves. I think they are a blight on your own reputation, because they pose themselves as representing you. Thanks for your reply
Message 407 of 432
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

And how is DTV suppose to stop someone anywhere in the world from spoofing their number to call you? How do they find them? Then convince the local law enforcement to pick them up assuming that there is a law against what they are doing there. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 408 of 432
Teacher

DTV/AT&T can start by protecting our personal information. These thieves have our names, addresses, phone numbers, account numbers..... When companies fail to protect our private information, they are breaking the law. I have been getting calls from these scammers for years. DTV/AT&T is a big company that can afford a serious investigation on how our personal info keeps getting to these scammers. But they don't make an effort to look into it.

Message 409 of 432
ACE - Expert

So how is DTV responsible for the Facebook, Equifax and all other email hacks?

Message 410 of 432
ACE - Expert

@zamorajo wrote:
DTV/AT&T can start by protecting our personal information. These thieves have our names, addresses, phone numbers, account numbers..... When companies fail to protect our private information, they are breaking the law. I have been getting calls from these scammers for years. DTV/AT&T is a big company that can afford a serious investigation on how our personal info keeps getting to these scammers. But they don't make an effort to look into it.

Absolutely agree.  Unfortunately so much of our personal information is now available via the "dark web".  And many scammers are very sneaky in how they extract just enough information during a call to make you think they have more information than they really do.  

At any rate, you can bet that companies like AT&T take this all very seriously.  At my company (not AT&T) we have a whole army of IT folks constantly working to protect data and stop these sorts of scammers.  But it's virtually impossible.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 411 of 432

We had the same issue !!!! These ppl are good, they have any and everything 2 prove they are with directv and att down to the automated service(saying welcome n thank you for calling directv/att with pushing #s 4 billing,ect)name, address, phone # and account #,exact info that they could've only got from our personal info that only our bills come from and the real companys , THEY ARE DOING NOTHING ! I cant believe that the real company WILL NOT DO ANYTHING 2 WARN THEIR CUSTOMERS! It is a data breach ,they knew ALL our info! So Directv/att are going 2 cont 2 allow this, not tell thier customers and cont 2 tell us they have NOTHING 2 do with this? If we would have been informed this would have NEVER happened! If they didnt emulate directv/att I would have NEVER agreed or have done this and got scammed out of $1000! If directv /att(the official#, not promo # answered the phone after at least 30 min multiple times) maybe I couldve figured it out but they are doing NOTHING! Not even im sorry lets start a file,claim or suit, 2 help or WARN us of the VERY scary scam that is going on rite now! Im looking at stories about this issue rite this second and still NOTHING/NO WARNING/ NO REGARDS 4 THIER CUSTOMERS AND INFO! If  you have not been thru this n lost your $$ then you have no rite 2 comment on this issue because it may seem ez and point blank to you but then you havnt been scammed by a very good scammer, you dont know all the details and im not your average bear I DO NOT get scammed nor am I stupid by any means BUT this just happened and took all my savings, lucky for us were not old with no way to make $$ , were not handicap, were not young n broke and were not influenced by randoms, we just got screwed. Fortunelty we can eventually make our $$ back, but most cant  and most are really hurt and loosing everything thru this scam that no1 was told about untill it happened and then I had to look it up!! DONT JUDGE UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE SCAMMED! I AM AND FEEL VIOLATED, I will be closing my account with both companies. Also when I spoke to ebay  they were very accomadating , respectful, understanding and even if they can not refund which I understand they did a million times more for our family who has been devastated by this than directv/att even pretendented to do, they literally have no f's! Lets change this! 

Message 412 of 432

This has been going on now that I notice ALL the comments, If "valued customers" were informed off the rip, this would not be happening to thousands, how is that not a company responsability? Guess its not an issue to start robbing ppl for life savings in the name of walmart or target or any other top company that ppl trust with their info. Not that I would EVER but whats the difference?  Betcha if they were getting scammed out of their $$ than everything would shut down including our cable and phone....period!

Message 413 of 432

I have been reading these threads for a couple of years, and it saddens me that misinformation keeps getting passed around and blame starts happening without the obvious....yourselves.  I have gotten calls from different scammers, but was aware of the scam immediately, by using common sense.  I have worked in the law, mostlly criminal, for over 27 years, and I can state, (but won’t), how people can get your information, legally, at least 5 ways.  I have worked cases in criminal conspiracy where there were scammers, such as these.  You would be shocked as to how they can gain access to your information, or how much you give, without realizing it.

I haven’t had a call from these particular scammers.  Some people on here keep stating how the company is responsible....what about our responsibility to safeguard our own infomation and use due diligence and common sense.  From what I have read, even if these people were in the United States, it would be hard pressed to prove anything illegal.  From what i understand, they lied, but there is no proof.  You had the opportunity to call either company to verify, but didn’t.  All they have to say is that they were given a gift card.  Amazon has “done something” about these scams, they put a warning right on their gift cards, yet people are still falling for it.  What should AT&T do?  What should they say?  These stories and warnings are all over the internet, yet people still fall for it.  Almost 6 years ago, Illinois went on a major campaign against scammers using Microsoft as their “company”.  The warnings were all over the news, in newspapers, large and small....yet people are still falling for it.

People on here are saying that AT&T should “investigate”.  First, you’re assuming that they haven’t.  Second, what will they do with this information?  They have no authority.  If you owned a company, which is highly regulated, then how would you “investigate”?  There are a lot of incorrect assumptions on these threads.  First, you’re assuming that AT&T had “done nothing”, just because they haven’t outlined what they did, doesn’t mean that they have “done nothing”.  Second, you’re assuming that these people have somehow gained information from AT&T directly.  If that were the case, then how come more people aren’t being called?  It isn’t hard to find the addresses of Direct TV customers, if you know how to look.  Third, you’re assuming that AT&T can somehow locate and prosecute people when they have no first hand knowledge of conversations, dates, times, etc.  

My question is this....why haven’t those that have been scammed and contacted by these scammers, “done something”?  If I were scammed by someone, I wouldn’t just be complaining on a thread.  I would find a way to “do something”.  But that is my opinion.  Just like these threads are your opinion.  A lot of people throw around lawsuit talk....lawsuit for what exactly?  Because you fell for a scam that AT&T was also the victim of?  How does that make any sense?  You threaten a company, then state you want their help.  What if someone did that to you?  Would you want to help them?  I wouldn’t.

Message 414 of 432
Teacher

I made a report with the FTC regarding my case. I have records of my report. I spoke to them over the phone as well. They said they would investigate only if enough people filed similar complaints. I suggest everyone that has been scammed needs to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. And maybe, maybe the government can issue a warning at least.
Message 415 of 432

I just posted my call as a warning to others. I did not get scammed and anyone who falls for this is not very bright and I think it is their own fault if they do. I get calls all the time. BLOCK the number is about all you can do. Lucky there are people on these sites that are so knowledgeable as you.
You can pass your vast knowledge on to everyone else. Who even pays anything with a gift card? It is like wiring money, Who does that other than maybe a relative in an emergency. Even then not a good idea.
I’m getting off this thread. It’s not that hard, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is not.

Message 416 of 432

I love posts from the people living in their parents basement.
Message 417 of 432
Teacher

Why do you think we provided information to them? I don't give private information to callers. And the scammers did not ask questions. They had my information. They start with your name. Then they say your address and DTV account number. That is their pitch for building their trust with customers. Once they build that trust, they know they have a good chance of scamming people. They have been calling me for well over 4 years now. Every time they call, I pretend I don't know about the scam. I ask them for details on my account just to verify if they have my information. And guess what, they do.

Message 418 of 432

Omg! I did not or have not EVER posted or put any info out there, yall dont know me but I can tell u rite NOW that we are far from dumbness and have never been played, I PLAY! BUT it just happened n itz REAL , iv been disrespected by the same Indian dude. Directtv and att are so responsible for this, especially after 2  year of customers complaints and still NOTHING! If I had been told about this yrs ago from directv and att I would have NEVER done this, if I WAS TOLD IT WASNT DIRECTV/ATT I WOULD HAVE NEVER PAID THIS AND LOST MY WHOLE SAVINGS in order 2 save $$! DOOOOO SOOOMETHING! How is this legal? Why arnt the fedz n law involved, how r we cont 2 be screwed and still NO  heads up! Why cant we sue 2gether?

Message 419 of 432

@ Enchantedsuhmer,

You don’t have to put your information “out there” for it to be readily available for those who know where and how to look.  Amazon did “do something”...they placed warnings right on the gift cards.  What else should be done, that is realistic and logical....exactly?!  You claim to “sue”, on what grounds exactly, with what proof, and who?  In order to bring suit, you have to have some kind of proof, and if there were any, then maybe something would have been done, legally.  All you have is that you, or others, gave gift cards to someone, no proof of what it was for.  If these people were ever found, and if they are in the USA, a decent lawyer would claim it was a gift, it’s up to you to prove otherwise.

You claim you’re not “dumbness”, but yet you didn’t see the red flags.  First flag, telemarking doesn’t have access to account numbers.  Companies don’t give information, due to third party disclosure laws.  Second flag, the 800 number is incoming, not outgoing.  I have been called by countless companies, including AT&T and DTV telemarketing, none of their numbers showed the 800 number.  Third flag, telemarketing wants the money before getting off the phone, they claim 99% of people won’t call back.  Fourth flag, paying by gift card?!  Really?!  When have you ever paid a bill, electric, phone, even DTV, by gift card?  Even Amazon services can be paid by credit cards.

These are the flags that are from the top of my head.  I am sorry people lost money, but it is not always someone else’s fault.  These scams have been going on long before computers.  Before inciting other people to “do something”...what are you doing?  The alleged crime happened to you, so why aren’t you doing anything?  Why expect a company, who is also the victim, to be the one responsible?

Message 420 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support